Jul/Aug/Sep 3 month challenge

June 23, 2014, 5:45 p.m.

for the next challenge let's move away from strength type exercises and look at working on foot speed/agility, explosiveness and sprint speed.

1. dot drill - http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads/Dot%20Drill%20Info.pdf

2. standing long jumps - five jumps in sucession (check total distance)
- in terms of training, make sure you're fully warmed up and aim to do 5-8 sets total, resting about 1-2min in between.

3. 400m sprints
- in terms of training, make sure you're fully warmed up and plan on doing 3-5 sprints with about 1-2 min rest in between. this would work great as a cardio routine as well done 2 times per week.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 8, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

no interest here?

any suggestions as for what you guys would like to see in terms of challenges?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 8, 2014, 10:30 a.m.

I think you will see more people interested in training again once the summer weather/ peak riding season is over.

July 8, 2014, 3:20 p.m.

no interest here?

The ideas are great, and sound. Dan John actually loves the second two of them, I think. They can be a measurement of athletic performance.

Only read about the dot drill in various athletic-performance related books, seems a wicked way of improving speed and agility in various sports such as basketball, football or the like.

I think a standing long jump would be a sort of great cross-over/transfer-of-training if a person is lifting for any given sport, and not just for the sake of lifting, or body composition.

I would not train specifically for it, but rather try it once a month to see if there is any improvement in my ability to generate explosive power.

400 m sprints would be a great way to increase cardio, unfortunately I have had my fair share of 400m sprints in the last few months, and I'd rather try something else at the moment. I just hated them, and will only incorporate them next year when I want to break the 2:00 hrs in my next half-marathon.

My personal challenge is quite a bit different at the moment. I focus on lifting right now, a bit of martial arts, a bit of biking, but mostly lifting for gaining mass. You could call it a drive for body composition, but I imagine an improvement in performance along the way.

Two weeks ago I posted this:

I have started to lift again (only running sucks), and my plan is to be able to lift my body weight for ten reps (DL and Back Squat) again in three months, be able to do ten perfect (no forced reps) dead-hang pull ups, strict Military Press at least 3/4 of my bodyweight and be able to do a TGU with half my bodyweight.

Right now I think pressing that much weight (~60kg) is too much too soon. I think half my bodyweight is more than enough. I want to continue lifting and being active and mobile to do so for the rest of my life without hurting me in the long term, if you know what I mean.

Squatting and DL'ing my bodyweight for ten clean and not really forced reps is achievable, I think. The TGU with ~45kg seems realistic as well.

Only my pull-ups suck big time. But rows and pull-ups may be the cure for ten technically clean reps at the beginning of September.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 28, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

That dot drill looks very interesting

Sept. 23, 2014, 10:42 p.m.

I think you will see more people interested in training again once the summer weather/ peak riding season is over.

are we there yet?

Ellen Langer

Sept. 23, 2014, 10:52 p.m.

Took nearly two weeks off because of life happening.

So I do not know if I can accomplish the goals I set for myself…which is a bummer, but "it is about the road, not the inn."

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 24, 2014, 11:49 a.m.

are we there yet?

No…just brought home a new bike yesterday in fact…must ride :D

Sept. 29, 2014, 1:36 a.m.

no interest here?

I'm starting a 3 month time volume push up/plank/squat challenge. I have become horribly in shape due to married life, that shape being slightly round, so it seemed like a good place to start.

I started yesterday, doing sets of five push ups with a five minute break between. When I started to near failure I switched to ten minute breaks, then 20 minute breaks between sets.

Totally I did 100 push ups over the course of the whole day, maybe I overdid it as I am feeling pretty damn sore today, can barely lift my coffee cup. Today is a plank/squat day. I've been doing 30 second planks (all I can do right now) followed by five minutes rest, squats are going by the same system as the push ups. I'm not setting any numbers for the day, just trying to train to near failure without actually reaching it.

I took a shirtless picture of myself yesterday and will do the same in three months. I'm hoping to get somewhere in the range of 500 push ups/squats and 30 minutes in plank over the course of one day. Then in the following three months hopefully mix it up with some more intense body weight exercises. I want to see how much I can accomplish without any weights.

I'm also reducing my daily beer intake from 8 bottles to 2 while avoiding wheat and dairy as much as possible.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 3, 2014, 9:29 a.m.

I'm also reducing my daily beer intake from 8 bottles to 2 while avoiding wheat and dairy as much as possible.

What's wrong with dairy?

Oct. 4, 2014, 7:36 a.m.

What's wrong with dairy?

I'm semi-allergic to it. It makes me all congested.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:57 p.m.

Fast Orange. Is your workout routine having a noticeable effect? I'm curious how it compares to a more traditional routine.

Nov. 5, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

Syncro,

Any new 3 month challenge ? I am looking for a new goal.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 5, 2014, 10:11 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2845148]Syncro,

Any new 3 month challenge ? I am looking for a new goal.[/QUOTE]

i'll come up with something for tomorrow.

it'll have something for:

speed
strength
endurance

Ellen Langer

Nov. 6, 2014, 8:09 a.m.

My current 3 month challenge is to get back in the groove of strength training. Twice in the last month doesn't quite cut it, lol.