is sugar toxic?

Nov. 9, 2014, 7:09 a.m.

is sugar toxic?

are the Kennedys gun shy?

Nov. 9, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

What's the point of this thread. That sugar is bad if I eat to much. Have you been talking to mom? She's told me that for years

This. Whole bunch of scaremongering going on in this thread.

I can't tell which came first in modern society. People making a whole lot of hoopla about something that's just common sense, as in this original article, or the general deficiency of said common sense that's so prevalent these days.

Nov. 9, 2014, 3:17 p.m.

This. Whole bunch of scaremongering going on in this thread.

I can't tell which came first in modern society. People making a whole lot of hoopla about something that's just common sense, as in this original article, or the general deficiency of said common sense that's so prevalent these days.

Hoopla is pretty bad for you as well.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 9, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

Honey.

(although it may be toxic in large amounts and can apparently kill an infant)

/thread

Meh, all infants are weaklings. Honey is basically "sugar light" … (it is a 80% sugar and a mixture of different sugars fructose, glucose, maltose, sucrose) as opposed to refined sugar (100% sucrose). It will raise your blood glucose levels (but not as much). It is also relatively rare in nature, and eating too much honey is just as bad for you. Those who eat honey to excess will acquire the trademark physique of Winnie the Pooh, with man boobs.

Nov. 9, 2014, 9:17 p.m.

even carbs are exacerbating my situation, no sugar and carbs i'm shedding pounds like crazy

Nov. 9, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

dude c'mon, that's a stretch.

Okay, fine. In quantity then. The problem is that you eat far too much very easily and get way too much sugar. You won't eat 50 cranberries at once, but 50 craisans on a salad is easy peasy and Jacks the sugar content way up.

Nov. 10, 2014, 12:57 a.m.

hey good job. mate is damn fine drinking..bender drinks it too! i sweeten it with honey in a pinch and that is quite nice.. if you can get some stevia, give it a try. IMO its the way to go.

white sugar is poison . are we actually talking about this?

The OP was about the toxicity of sugar, I think….anyways, we tried Stevia, and it tastes a bit like those artifical sweeteners…can't stand it.

Yep, I remember a very old article about Bender in a BIKE from 2003 or so, and I first tried it back then, but I did not like it back then. Nowadays, no problem.

At home we either use honey and syrup from Agaves (word?), or the aforementioned xylit. Give Xylit a shot, it may irritate your guts at first, and is _definitely _lethal to dogs, even in small doses - but it tastes like sugar and has zero influence on blood sugar levels.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 10, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

The OP was about the toxicity of sugar, I think….anyways, we tried Stevia, and it tastes a bit like those artifical sweeteners…can't stand it.

Stevia is a refined, concentrated extract. Not a big deal on its own, I guess, but as a rule of thumb, you get the most benefits of nutrients, flavourings, supplements through whole, unprocessed foods. I generally try to avoid making a habit of eating anything processed/refined to amounts far in excess of its natural concentration/abundance.

Nov. 10, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

…anyways, we tried Stevia, and it tastes a bit like those artifical sweeteners…can't stand it. .

yea it's not for everybody…maybe you used too much?

Nov. 10, 2014, 6:38 p.m.

The average American eats about 92 grams of sugar a day, when the human body needs only about eight grams. After one teaspoon of sugar, the white blood cells in our immune system are suppressed for up to 6 hours.

Read more: http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/steve-nash-on-living-sugar-free-20120806#ixzz3IitzGVRC

NSMBA member.

Nov. 10, 2014, 8 p.m.

The average American eats about 92 grams of sugar a day, when the human body needs only about eight grams. After one teaspoon of sugar, the white blood cells in our immune system are suppressed for up to 6 hours.

Read more: http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/steve-nash-on-living-sugar-free-20120806#ixzz3IitzGVRC

yup, i mentioned something along those lines

Nov. 10, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

A lot of people have no idea how much sugar is in what they eat. There is a ton of sugar in many processed foods.

Here are some examples:

1 teaspoon is 4 grams of sugar

Snickers bar (57g) - 7 teaspoons of sugar
Coca cola (one can) - 7 teaspoons of sugar
Kellog's Raisin Bran - 7.8 teaspoons of sugar (per 100 g)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262978.php

Arizona Iced Tea: 16 ounces = 12 teaspoons of sugar
SoBe Green Tea: 16 ounces = 12.5 teaspoons of sugar

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/sugar-shockers-foods-surprisingly-high-in-sugar?page=4

Unsweetened Grape Juice (1 cup) - 8 1/2 teaspoons

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/sugar-content-20-common-foods?s=8

Raisins 1/2 cup - 8 1/2 teaspoons

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/sugar-content-20-common-foods?s=4

Small (10 1/2 oz) chocolate milkshake - 15 1/2 teaspoons

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/sugar-content-20-common-foods?s=2

Nov. 11, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

exactly^^ this is the real issue not how many figs you eat, as a type II diabetic I will come up to a shelf full of food products say 10 cereals or even 10 choclate bars, check the white label for sugar amount [HTML_REMOVED] pick the lowest sugar content I will actualy eat and this can vary widely

the white label will also give you portion size, yes they are even telling you how much to eat and people still fuck it up

Nov. 12, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

Stevia is a refined, concentrated extract. Not a big deal on its own, I guess, but as a rule of thumb, you get the most benefits of nutrients, flavourings, supplements through whole, unprocessed foods. I generally try to avoid making a habit of eating anything processed/refined to amounts far in excess of its natural concentration/abundance.

True, but this is seriously difficult. Having some fresh fruit and maybe some dried fruit is pretty good, and is way better than the Convencience Stuff. Although, as you have posted above - most fruits nowadays have been selectively bred for generations to be as sweet as possible.

yea it's not for everybody…maybe you used too much?

Don't know, we no longer have it. Honey is definitely a better treat imho. :)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 12, 2014, 11:48 a.m.

well fine , have it your way!

yea each to their own…but w stevia it is easy to use too much..