How Running and Endurance Training Can Shorten Your Life

June 2, 2014, 7:47 p.m.

I seek safe harbour.

Dr. O'Keefe and other researchers have suggested that it's common to see extreme variations (5-fold) in atrial fibrillation when elite level endurance athletes are compared to non-runners, and other studies have found troubling medical anomalies such as:

•?Impaired Cardiac Contractile Function
•?Decline in Peak Systolic Tissue Velocity
•?Cardio Myocyte Damage
•?Myocardial Fibrosis
•?Cardiac Arrhythmias
•?Poor Left Ventricle Function

In April of 2014, The Journal of the Missouri State Medical Association published research showing that "long-term male marathon runners may have

paradoxically increased coronary artery plaque volume." And in another study, the researchers compared a group of sedentary men to men that competed in at least one marathon annually for 25 years. Compared to the inactive group, the runners had nearly double the total plaque and calcified plaque volumes, and almost 1.5 times the non-calcified plaque volume.

Not surprisingly, the marathoners in the study from Missouri State had lower resting heart rates, BMI (Body Mass Index), and triglyceride levels than the sedentary group. The fact that "all looks good on the outside," is potentially the most frightening thing. This can be seen in the cardiovascular health of ultra-endurance athletes and cardio kings and queens who continuously put their bodies through a pounding. These guys and girls aren't just running farther than everyone else, they're running more consistently and faster.

Less bombast, moar syence.

June 2, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

Where are all the links to these studies? Also, extrapolating (selective?) data from "long-term extreme endurance athletes" (which the author mentions) to draw conclusions is like using the mortality rate among ex-professional football players, bodybuilders and strongmen as an argument against any kind of strength training.

"While white men in the United States on average live to age 78 and African-American men to about 70, it appears that professional football players in both the United States and Canada have life expectancies in the mid- to late-50s.".

Dead wrestlers?

June 2, 2014, 8:16 p.m.

Where are all the links to these studies? Also, extrapolating (selective?) data from "long-term extreme endurance athletes" (which the author mentions) to draw conclusions is like using the mortality rate among ex-professional football players, bodybuilders and strongmen as an argument against any kind of strength training.

Not easily accessible for sure. I just googled the first one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1335453

If not behind a paywall the others seem available for those who want to work at it.

As for the latter part of your statement, do those people exist who haven't abused various pharmacological short cuts (excluding football players as their grey-matter plasticity is directly correlated to the constant hits they take throughout their life). Are there easily accessible drugs for weekend long-distance athletes or are they relegated to the Lance Armstrong's (honest question)?

I think walking is wickedly underrated.

June 2, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

azns live longest, next hispanics, then whitey and african americans trail the pack

June 2, 2014, 9:04 p.m.

I'd rather live a shorter life of feeling awesome and fit than a long life of being fat and lazy.

June 2, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

I'd rather live a shorter life of feeling awesome and fit than a long life of being fat and lazy.

I want both :)

June 2, 2014, 10:11 p.m.

I want both :)

what, a short life of being fat and lazy?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 2, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

what, a short life of being fat and lazy?

Yup and I'm failing miserably :fruit:

June 3, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

Not easily accessible for sure. I just googled the first one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1335453

If not behind a paywall the others seem available for those who want to work at it.

As for the latter part of your statement, do those people exist who haven't abused various pharmacological short cuts (excluding football players as their grey-matter plasticity is directly correlated to the constant hits they take throughout their life). Are there easily accessible drugs for weekend long-distance athletes or are they relegated to the Lance Armstrong's (honest question)?

I think walking is wickedly underrated.

Fiber bundles were isolated from rat diaphragm and incubated in Krebs-Ringer solution containing cytochrome c (10(-5) M), a standard assay for O2-..

Ummmm … the study was done on rats … what if they did the study on Arctic Terns that fly 40,000 km a year?

I can show you a study that reports that aerobic exercise decreases free radical generation …

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17523876

Strong decreases in absolute and relative (per unit of O2 consumed) mitochondrial oxygen radical production occur during aerobic exercise bouts, chronic exercise training, and hyperthyroidism, and notably, during dietary restriction.

Also, your body's pH (its acidity/alkalinity) is very stringently regulated (homeostasis) and all parts of your blood, urine, muscle, stomach, small intestines are all pH regulated to different pHs and to very high homeostatic precision. Alkaline and acid manipulation treatments and the idea that activity can cause acidic damage have zero medical/scientific credibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet

June 3, 2014, 8:29 a.m.

T-nation again, no gender alterations this time just a suggestion to quit running on a page where they are trying to sell you some kind of supplements

June 3, 2014, 8:33 a.m.

Do you even lift bro?

Pastor of Muppets

June 3, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

high rep low weight for ski conditioning in the fall … probably gender alterating eh?

June 3, 2014, 8:42 a.m.

high rep low weight for ski conditioning in the fall … probably gender alterating eh?

Most likely. Might wanna grow yer hair long again.

Pastor of Muppets

June 3, 2014, 9:26 a.m.

Ummmm … the study was done on rats … what if they did the study on Arctic Terns that fly 40,000 km a year?

I can show you a study that reports that aerobic exercise decreases free radical generation …

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17523876

Is there a way to get the whole paper as opposed to the abstract? From reading the abstract alone I came away with the conclusion that exercise with caloric restriction produced less free-radicals for birds than for rats.

I inadvertently searched that URL and came across this thread on a site which our punctuation-hating friend can surely get behind. Some good discussion here.

June 3, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

Of course high volume endurance training is bad if you do it for long periods of time. This I believe is a situation made worse these days with ultra endurance events. And that problem being there are just so many of them. Just look at the whole IM and half iron races. So many will do 2 or 3 of these events or more a year.

I seriously doubt that the human body has enough time to recover and rebuild with that much per year. And it seems like people are less likely with all the technology to take a couple of months off to do other stuff.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/