Help...how to improve overall speed

April 4, 2022, 8:42 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: Aeropusher

sometimes you have to slow down to go fast....(holy crap, when was the last time I posted on this forum?)

Howdy, enough time on your hands now? 

And yes, I need to up my mileage as well, and going all out all the time just ruins an engine, not only in cars. Currently, intervalls twice a week and the rest of the time just slow and steady. Given the amount of energy I leave at work right now this is the safest thing to do, I gues.

Mic, true about the slow to go fast. Also keep in mind that a easy ride needs to be just that. We tend to ride our easy rides to fast and hard when it is supposed to be the opposite.

April 5, 2022, 1:42 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Mic, true about the slow to go fast. Also keep in mind that a easy ride needs to be just that. We tend to ride our easy rides to fast and hard when it is supposed to be the opposite.

The slow and easy part is a serious challenge for me and my Ego. I tend to try and ride as fast as I can, without easy spinning or "just riding along", unless I force myself to do so. I tend to constantly check my bike computer. Riding as slow and easy as possible is only possible when I ride with my kid, which is not as often as I would love to. 

Tracking and monitoring my rides is an unnecessary obstacle, it seems.  Riding buddies have told me the same, guess it is part of our condition as cyclists, or humans.

April 5, 2022, 6:35 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: Endurimil

The slow and easy part is a serious challenge for me and my Ego. I tend to try and ride as fast as I can, without easy spinning or "just riding along", unless I force myself to do so. I tend to constantly check my bike computer. Riding as slow and easy as possible is only possible when I ride with my kid, which is not as often as I would love to. 

Tracking and monitoring my rides is an unnecessary obstacle, it seems.  Riding buddies have told me the same, guess it is part of our condition as cyclists, or humans.

Okay...so let me get up on my old high horse about "slow down to go fast".....it's not about riding slow, nor is it about GOING slow: its about the timing of your slow sections and your fast sections. With my old job, one of the big things I ran into was excessive brake maintenance on our fleet vehicles. Basically, while our drivers were being cognizant of rules of the road (driving at or below the posted limit - what they considered slow) they were still driving the cars waaaaaay too deep into corners or late braking at stop lights/in traffic. Me, on the other hand, have go much longer between brake service than most people I know. Why: because of timing of the slow sections and the fast sections.  If you want to slow down to go fast, try this: look ahead further, time your braking (or off pedals) earlier, and then get on the pedals as soon as you can (early apex corners, when you anticipate lights changing, when "openings" exist in traffic, when you can get a jump on people in line ahead of you. We all think we look far enough ahead when we are riding, but considering how damn slow I am, I can tell you, you need to look as far ahead as possible.   Look ahead, focus, breathe.

April 6, 2022, 1:37 a.m.

Posted by: Aeropusher

Okay...so let me get up on my old high horse about "slow down to go fast".....it's not about riding slow, nor is it about GOING slow: its about the timing of your slow sections and your fast sections. With my old job, one of the big things I ran into was excessive brake maintenance on our fleet vehicles. Basically, while our drivers were being cognizant of rules of the road (driving at or below the posted limit - what they considered slow) they were still driving the cars waaaaaay too deep into corners or late braking at stop lights/in traffic. Me, on the other hand, have go much longer between brake service than most people I know. Why: because of timing of the slow sections and the fast sections. If you want to slow down to go fast, try this: look ahead further, time your braking (or off pedals) earlier, and then get on the pedals as soon as you can (early apex corners, when you anticipate lights changing, when "openings" exist in traffic, when you can get a jump on people in line ahead of you. We all think we look far enough ahead when we are riding, but considering how damn slow I am, I can tell you, you need to look as far ahead as possible. Look ahead, focus, breathe.

Ah, yes...I see, anticipating, adapting and adjusting my speed to the flow of traffic and lights, to basically up the average spend moving.

This week, I have been seriously drained from mental energy, life and job related, so I made the decision to take the car. No point in being really tired and worn out on a bike in busy traffic at 6 in the morning.

Last edited by: Mic on April 6, 2022, 1:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 27, 2022, 7:10 a.m.

Been doing intervalls the last few weeks, and it feels as if my legs are stronger and are able to keep going a bit longer..which is nice, not necessarily noticeable in the stats though, here and there a bit faster, but the breakthrough is not there yet. 

Hopefully I can continue riding with an MRI planned for tomorrow, due to some stupid stuff (brain thinks body is still 25) my rotator cuff in the right shoulder might be damaged/torn. That would be a major bummer, but rather a season cut short than a seriously wrecked shoulder in the long run.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer