Help...how to improve overall speed

March 22, 2022, 3:19 a.m.

On my gravel commuter I am slow. Like....really slow. Depending on weather and distance I usually have an 17 to 19 kmh avg. Rarely do I venture into realms of beyond 20 kmh.

Yes...that is slow.

Even short ramps sap my energy and power. And I can just helplessy watch how my overall speed is declining.

Do the hardcore riders and commuters have any ideas? 

So far I have been too scared of hill intervalls to go down (up) that road.

But...this season, something has to change. I want to become a faster rider.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on March 22, 2022, 4:17 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 22, 2022, 8:01 a.m.

Hey Mic,

How old are you? Build? Weight? How far are you riding to work? How hilly is it?

I was doing a ride to work over the 2nd narrows last year and if I was hammering due to the climbs my average speed would be 23-25km/hr  Which is quick on a gravel bike. 18-19 coming home with all the climbing.

17-19km average isnt that slow if you are climbing hills. If its pretty flat then ya crank it up a knotch for sections and do some intervals.

March 22, 2022, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Hey Mic,

How old are you? Build? Weight? How far are you riding to work? How hilly is it?

I was doing a ride to work over the 2nd narrows last year and if I was hammering due to the climbs my average speed would be 23-25km/hr Which is quick on a gravel bike. 18-19 coming home with all the climbing.

17-19km average isnt that slow if you are climbing hills. If its pretty flat then ya crank it up a knotch for sections and do some intervals.

At the enf of my 40s, currently around 95kg, on the path of losing weight.

The commute is about 15km long one way, about 250 to 400 mtrs, depending on which route I choose. And the climbing is not a few ramps but two steady climbs.

Guess I really need to put in the work.

Last edited by: Mic on March 22, 2022, 8:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2022, 9:26 a.m.

More sleep, more water.

March 22, 2022, 12:45 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: bux-bux

Hey Mic,

I was doing a ride to work over the 2nd narrows last year and if I was hammering due to the climbs my average speed would be 23-25km/hr Which is quick on a gravel bike. 18-19 coming home with all the climbing.

At the enf of my 40s, currently around 95kg, on the path of losing weight.

The commute is about 15km long one way, about 250 to 400 mtrs, depending on which route I choose. And the climbing is not a few ramps but two steady climbs.

Guess I really need to put in the work.

To put things in perspective. In my younger years racing on a Time trail bike 35Km/hr was fast on a flat long course. So 20km/hr on a gravel bike with hills is above average for sure. As you get lighter you will go faster. I would alternate a interval ride ( red lining sections) on way to work. Then an easier tempo ride (lower heart rate burns fat better) the next day. Alternating these will get you to where you wanna be in cardio and weight.

I'm on the same program, need to lose 10 winter pounds.

March 22, 2022, 1:39 p.m.

Been a while, but at one time I was indoctrinated into the cult of triathlon, road and XC racing, and obtaining more speed is all those nutbars live for. I started out as a slug, but by the end I was actually consistently on the age group podium.

What I learned in the end is there's no shortcuts, putting in the training time is how you get fast. By all means make sure you're fueled up with enough carbs, have a banana and a coffee before heading out, get enough sleep, make sure you're well hydrated, your bike position is optimized for power delivery, you're running fast tires, not carrying excessive body fat, etc., but the overarching bottom line is you get out what you put in. 

I was told by the fastest riders and coaches that hill repeats is the most effective way to fitness on the bike and the best use of your time.

Hills are upsetting, it hurts and you want to die. They're as much mental as physical Try sprinting the bottom, then sprint again as you crest to get used to an attack mentality. Eventually try and figure out the highest tempo you can hold throughout the entire hill without blowing up.

Ride hills more frequently. Everyday riding is a good goal, and then only miss the days when life gets in the way.

Maybe even get all crazy and write yourself up a training plan. Familiarize yourself with periodization- macrocycles, mesocycles and microcycles. Emphasis on the quality work phases i.e, tempo work, sprint work, hill work, etc. Plan out an endurance phase, strength phase and power phase. There's lots of online resources to help with this.

https://youtu.be/8o9f1qijuRs

March 23, 2022, 10:02 p.m.

Thanks a lot for the input so far and I think in retrospect it comes down to me not having ridden as much and as focused as I wanted/liked. 

Dusted off my old copy of Friel's book as well. And .... well, it is one thing to read about something, quite another to actually do it. 

So, going to put my head down and do the work.

March 25, 2022, 5:01 a.m.

put on some fast running tires with a subtle sidewall. there are huge differences in tires and running speed. i.e. gravelking slicks or semi slicks

March 25, 2022, 1:59 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

put on some fast running tires with a subtle sidewall. there are huge differences in tires and running speed. i.e. gravelking slicks or semi slicks

Last year I had the Conti Contact Speed and they were fast, given the snowy/slushy/muddy start in January I put on some Conti Race King and so far they are quite great. In my area quite a few bike paths are grit and gravel, bad roads and the odd fire road climb when I do not want to share the road.

Fast running tires are important but my legs can not really keep up that speed so I have to put in the work. I really spend just last year cruising, and not really working that hard.

but I had an out of town meeting today and took my bike 40km to and from, and tried to keep a consistent pace throughout without that "just rolling along". Did some sprints and hill intervals in between, now my legs are toast. But have to spend my weekend at the desk anyways, so just a short and mellow mtb ride is planned tomorrow and on sunday.

Last edited by: Mic on March 25, 2022, 2 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 26, 2022, 4:12 p.m.

The hill interval does suck but it works. On a previous commute I had the option to come up Kent from SE marine and committed to it once a week, attacking from the bottom and gradually increasing the point at which I sat down to spin the rest. Slowly I came to hate it less. 

17-19 kph isn't bad, pretty reasonable on a loaded utility bike for a mixed ride you do regularly if you aren't training imo. Personally now I prefer to enjoy my commutes, ride hard when I want to and chill when I don't. Just doing the road miles makes a difference in the off road climbs so that's motivation enough for me.

March 27, 2022, 4:53 a.m.

Posted by: Squint

The hill interval does suck but it works. On a previous commute I had the option to come up Kent from SE marine and committed to it once a week, attacking from the bottom and gradually increasing the point at which I sat down to spin the rest. Slowly I came to hate it less. 

17-19 kph isn't bad, pretty reasonable on a loaded utility bike for a mixed ride you do regularly if you aren't training imo. Personally now I prefer to enjoy my commutes, ride hard when I want to and chill when I don't. Just doing the road miles makes a difference in the off road climbs so that's motivation enough for me.

Yeah, last week I had a pannier bag that weighed 7.5 kg.

April 1, 2022, 6:48 p.m.

The correct answer is new bike.

April 2, 2022, 12:32 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

The correct answer is new bike.

N+, eh?

April 2, 2022, 11:27 a.m.

sometimes you have to slow down to go fast....(holy crap, when was the last time I posted on this forum?)

April 3, 2022, 2:51 a.m.

Posted by: Aeropusher

sometimes you have to slow down to go fast....(holy crap, when was the last time I posted on this forum?)

Howdy, enough time on your hands now? 

And yes, I need to up my mileage as well, and going all out all the time just ruins an engine, not only in cars. Currently, intervalls twice a week and the rest of the time just slow and steady. Given the amount of energy I leave at work right now this is the safest thing to do, I gues.