Help me spend my fitness allowance

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

My goal, to finish my first half marathon this spring.

Through my work I have a $300 allowance for winter fitness, which I can chose how I spend it, however it can't buy a ski pass.

Where am I going to to get the best bang for my buck ?

These are the options I was thinking about, but would love feedback as I am sure I haven't considered all the options out there.

1) 3 month North Van rec membership
2) Personal trainer (most likely only 1 -2 session)
3) 10 yoga sessions
4) Running clinic

Any ideas, suggestion and feedback welcome!

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:09 p.m.

Hmm,

Have you run before? experience level?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

1. Yogo.tv. Its 20 bucks a month and has ~100 or so yoga classes available when you want.
Id go with the running clinic after that. Actually I would by new running shoes and try to download a free running training off the internet and make friends with a personal trainer.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2790309]My goal, to finish my first half marathon this spring.

Through my work I have a $300 allowance for winter fitness, which I can chose how I spend it, however it can't buy a ski pass.

These are the options I was thinking about, but would love feedback as I am sure I haven't considered all the options out there.

3) 10 yoga sessions
4) Running clinic

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:29 p.m.

Currently running 3 days a week Mon/Wed/Fri (5km each run) I only have a 30 minute lunch so running longer distances isn't an option during those sessions.

Been running consistently since March of this year approx 310km so far.

Did 5x 10km races so far this year, all are around the 1:03 mark.

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:32 p.m.

HR monitor, use this to focus on activity in zone one between now and Xmas maybe even January (long slow runs)

Join a running club rather than a clinic
How about http://www.capilanoeagles.com/index.htm

Spend the rest on some shoes or a nice new top.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:34 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2790309]My goal, to finish my first half marathon this spring.

3) 10 yoga sessions
4) Running clinic

sign up for a 1/2 clinic at the running room for example, it'll only cost you about $70. set aside part of that cash for a good set of shoes and then use the rest for drop-in visits to the rec centre as you won't need to use the weight room a ton.

also come see me ay my facility and i'll set you up with an intro routine. it's free and all you need to pay is the drop-in rate. you can book the appt over the phone, just say you want to set it up with me.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 20, 2013, 12:37 p.m.

3) 10 yoga sessions
4) Running clinic

My wife runs with some ladies that have running plans designed/tracked by Jerry Ziak. He's in North Van and it sounds like he gets some pretty amazing results. I'm not sure about the cost, but I'd be surprised if it didn't fit your 3 month budget.

Nov. 20, 2013, 1 p.m.

^^^ great advice.

training with other people who have the same goal greatly increases one's rate of success.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 20, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

Group on. Most Yoga studios have something like 30 days for $30. There is almost a new one every day. Plus watch for deals on gym memberships and other fitness programs. It's great if your on a tight budget.

Nov. 20, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

Half marathon in your goal plan? Running Room clinic.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Nov. 20, 2013, 4:34 p.m.

Awesome ideas everyone!

My plan is to sign up for the running room clinic starting in January as I am away almost all of December anyways.

I've got new shoes already thanks to work, just booked myself an appointment with Syncro and will use the balance for a fitness 3 month pass so I have access to weight training/yoga/swimming.

Getting a dexa done thanks to Marvel.

NSMB for the win!!! (or loss in this case)

Nov. 20, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

My wife runs with some ladies that have running plans designed/tracked by Jerry Ziak. He's in North Van and it sounds like he gets some pretty amazing results. I'm not sure about the cost, but I'd be surprised if it didn't fit your 3 month budget.

Probably the biggest thing missing for the average person to improve running….is form.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 20, 2013, 10:08 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2790323]Currently running 3 days a week Mon/Wed/Fri (5km each run) I only have a 30 minute lunch so running longer distances isn't an option during those sessions.

Been running consistently since March of this year approx 310km so far.

Did 5x 10km races so far this year, all are around the 1:03 mark.

Pick up a copy of Arthur Lydiard's running books. You think it is outdated but the methods still work.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Nov. 22, 2013, 11:53 a.m.

Pick up a copy of Arthur Lydiard's running books. You think it is outdated but the methods still work.

Any recommendation for the #1 option as there seems to be several books by him? Going to download it to my kindle.

Nov. 22, 2013, 12:03 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2790717]Any recommendation for the #1 option as there seems to be several books by him? Going to download it to my kindle.[/QUOTE]

i'd say that unless you're looking to run at a high level pace that they would all work as they will provide you with a plan to follow. at this point what you do or the methods you choose aren't as important as simply being consistent with your training.

the experienced runners on here will probably be able to make a specific recommendation tho.

Ellen Langer