Healthy eating

April 2, 2018, 1 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

We came across Chia seeds at a local supermarket that specializes in organic foods.

Tried them in shakes/smoothies - and unreal how full we feel hours later.

Anybody of you ever tried them?

Love them. If you drop some in your water bottle, after a few minutes they bloom and give up their fatty goodness into the water. I think their nutrition is more readily available this way as seeds are technically designed to not be well digested.  https://runnersconnect.net/chia-seeds-running/

April 3, 2018, 4:17 a.m.

I have never tried Chia seeds, I will try this week if it really work

April 3, 2018, 4:53 p.m.

I soak the chia seeds the night before in a cup of water then add them to my smoothie in the AM.

This. Or hit up A&W Drive-Thru on the way into work...

Oct. 23, 2018, 12:49 a.m.

I like soaking them also because they become soft like tapioca pearls.

Aug. 21, 2019, 1:10 a.m.

Posted by: turtlekid

My breakfast is just strictly fruits but before I eat anything in the morning I would drink a glass of warm water. Lunch would be anything then if I get hungry in the afternoon I drink water first and grab some fruits. Dinner is salad.

How do you stay satiated in the morning?

Aug. 21, 2019, 3:14 a.m.

Just saw the trailer for the movie The Game Changers .... guess I give that plant-based diet a try. I remember my curiosity when I first learned about the vegetarian diet of the Roman gladiators back at University. 

Anyways...I think I try a four or six week 'test'. Eggs and some cheese and maybe yoghurt. No meat and fish. 

How many of you are vegetarian/vegan? Experiences? Thoughts?

Aug. 21, 2019, 10:35 p.m.

I've been vegetarian/pescatarian for most of my life. It's pretty fricken easy honestly.

As long as your knowledge of dietary needs is broader than a meat industry marketing slogan it's pretty hard to screw up.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Aug. 22, 2019, 10:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 24, 2019, 1:32 p.m.

My problem is....I really like a good BBQ. But....plant-based burger patties are a no-brainer these days. 

I definitely look forward to it. Definitely curious.

Aug. 26, 2019, 10:08 a.m.

See the BBQ episode of "Cooked", the Michael Pollan series on Netflix?

Apparently BBQ is the reason for our evolution. Fire allowed us to cook food making it softer so we didn't have to sit around chewing all day like gorillas.

It's a tradition that's remained basically unchanged up to the present.

And yeah, there's all kinds of other good things to grill besides steak.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Aug. 26, 2019, 10:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 26, 2019, 7:49 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

See the BBQ episode of "Cooked", the Michael Pollan series on Netflix?

Apparently BBQ is the reason for our evolution. Fire allowed us to cook food making it softer so we didn't have to sit around chewing all day like gorillas.

It's a tradition that's remained basically unchanged up to the present.

And yeah, there's all kinds of other good things to grill besides steak.

it's pretty cool how humans have adapted a bunch of unique features/traits that allowed us to progress so much further than other animals.

Sept. 2, 2019, 12:51 a.m.

“Eating clean” is the hashtag you seek.

Sept. 13, 2019, 1:38 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

“Eating clean” is the hashtag you seek.

Because of my body's incapability of processing sodiumphosphate (e450s) I am eating "clean"pretty much all the time....I have to read every bloody label. 

Some really nice recipes for veggie/vegan patties. Wow. And I got myself a decent cookbook ...The Vegetarian Athlete's Cookbook. I have a few colleagues who have been vegan for a few years and have given me a few books as well. 

I definitely notice that my digestion has changed  in the last two weeks.

Sept. 26, 2019, 4:33 p.m.

I'm always skeptical of terms like "healthy" or "clean". It seems that besides sugar being bad, we can't really agree on anything in nutrition. It's because it's almost impossible to do science* in nutrition. There are just too many variables, and we are finding more variables as we go on and learn that both our foods and our bodies are made of smaller and smaller component parts. 

I just try not to go overboard on the booze or the calories. I think it's easier to avoid the obvious bad stuff than it is to optimize.

*The kind of science where you hold ALL variables except for one constant and measure changes.

Oct. 2, 2019, 5:59 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I've been vegetarian/pescatarian for most of my life. It's pretty fricken easy honestly.

As long as your knowledge of dietary needs is broader than a meat industry marketing slogan it's pretty hard to screw up.

Have to agree. September has been a breeze. 

On to October.

Oct. 2, 2019, 6:02 a.m.

Posted by: bikingmike

I'm always skeptical of terms like "healthy" or "clean". It seems that besides sugar being bad, we can't really agree on anything in nutrition. It's because it's almost impossible to do science* in nutrition. There are just too many variables, and we are finding more variables as we go on and learn that both our foods and our bodies are made of smaller and smaller component parts.

I just try not to go overboard on the booze or the calories. I think it's easier to avoid the obvious bad stuff than it is to optimize.

*The kind of science where you hold ALL variables except for one constant and measure changes.

I have to agree, "mindful" or "reasonable" would be better labels no one really needs in the end.

Protein, carbs and fats and all the minerals and vitamins usually coverwd by a varied diet consisting of as much fresh ingredients as possible.

No point in becoming fundamentalists. That is why quite a few vegans are annoying.

Last edited by: Mic on Oct. 2, 2019, 6:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.