Healthy eating

May 18, 2014, 7:05 a.m.

I've stopped buying spinach because kale keeps better and doesn't get mushy. I rarely eat it any way but lightly steamed – don't love it raw but will do it, and think kale chips are a waste even though it's the first way most people think of preparing it.

Ah yes, kale in everything! (For the above noted reasons.) Another good substitute is putting kale in the Whitewater cookbook's Glory Bowl recipe (which I take liberty with and put a similar dressing as above with more emphasis on peanut).

lol …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcI7jgkwdCM

May 18, 2014, 8:05 a.m.

I´ve started eating more fish. Fish n veggies is super easy to prepair, even snuck in some kale in a dish last week.

May 18, 2014, 11:18 a.m.

If you have allergic reactions due to food have a few cups of stinging nettle tea, along with plenty of water.

Had a reaction last week, took no cortison, but had several mugs of nettle tea and plenty of water, after two days it was gone - completely, no rash, no stiff joints as compared to the usual 5 to 7 days.

And at the moment I really dig Rooibos tea in large quantities as well, seems to be pretty good stuff and with a bit of milk and honey it tastes really great.

And classical Chai tea (tea from spices, India) with a bit of milk and honey is awesome, too.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 15, 2014, 11:51 a.m.

Just checked the veggies in our garden….I guess tomorrow we have our first dish of mangold/spinach beet (beta vulgaris). Sweet, definitely looking forward to it.

- Kristen Ulmer

July 15, 2014, 12:41 p.m.

Nice^ The Wife does a lot of gardening…nothing like fresh produce! Blows away the mass produced stuff on flavour

July 15, 2014, 1 p.m.

Nice^ The Wife does a lot of gardening…nothing like fresh produce! Blows away the mass produced stuff on flavour

Totally. I grew up with parents who did a lot of gardening, nearly all our beans, potatoes, kale and the like came from our garden. Sad that I did not properly listen back then, and now I can no longer ask them.

This year is a first test, we have a slightly colder and moist climate in our area, compared to other areas just a few km away.

I guess you could call it a work in progress, with us learning a lot. And our son loves "helping" us with his raking and the like. We just enjoy living in the countryside and trying to be self-sufficient.

- Kristen Ulmer

July 22, 2014, 3:18 a.m.

Everyday a lot water and more fresh vegetable fruits.
No sweeties and junky food.
And no coffie ;( (coz I like white one with a lot of sugar)

July 23, 2014, 8:19 p.m.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/07/everything-we-know-about-antioxidants-and-vitamins-wrong

Broccoli = good
pill of broccoli like stuff = not so good

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 24, 2014, 3:42 a.m.

We came across Chia seeds at a local supermarket that specializes in organic foods.

Tried them in shakes/smoothies - and unreal how full we feel hours later.

Anybody of you ever tried them?

- Kristen Ulmer

July 24, 2014, 8:32 a.m.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/07/everything-we-know-about-antioxidants-and-vitamins-wrong

Broccoli = good

Vitamins/minerals etc don't typically work alone. They often need cofactors, coagents, chelators (entities that bind to them and help transport them to where they are needed/processed) and other "helpers" to be absorbed or perform their tasks.

One example is iron. Heme iron, from animal protein is attached to heme-proteins (like hemoglobin) that are absorbed at about twice the rate of non-heme (plant-based) sources of iron. Many of these supplements are needed in such small amounts that a pill is typically waaay overkill and just ends up in your pee. Its probably no coincidence that many of these cofactors are found together with vitamins and minerals in natural sources of food - our bodies and its chemical system are the by-product of 3+ billion years of biochemical tinkering based on what is already in our natural environment.

As to taking large (or excessive) quantities of antioxidants, the case that free-radicals/oxidative stress are the cause of aging is far from proven

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Is+the+Free-Radical+Theory+of+Aging+Dead%3F

The lesson is - Eat a wide variety of whole, unprocessed foods in moderation and enjoy your life.

April 22, 2017, 10:10 a.m.

Anyone of you use nutbutter, almond, peanut, etc regularly? 

Got a good deal on a tube of crunchy cashew butter, sooo tasty. No additives or salt. 

Plan on using it in smoothies and shakes, and for frys. 

If you do....links or recipes or ideas welcome. 

Let's start sharing ideas again.

April 25, 2017, 9:56 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Anyone of you use nutbutter, almond, peanut, etc regularly? 

Got a good deal on a tube of crunchy cashew butter, sooo tasty. No additives or salt. 

Plan on using it in smoothies and shakes, and for frys. 

If you do....links or recipes or ideas welcome. 

Let's start sharing ideas again.

Tahini count? Make a sauce with tahini, water and garlic. Blend it together. Goes great with the following rice recipe:

• Rice
  • Tumeric
  • Little bit of cinnamon
  • Garlic
  • Chicken stock

If you want chicken... tumeric, cumin, coriander. Bake, roast, fry, etc.

April 26, 2017, 1:07 p.m.

Good idea! So simple. Thanks. :)

March 26, 2018, 4:24 p.m.

Posted by: Duncan

Broccoli = good

Vitamins/minerals etc don't typically work alone. They often need cofactors, coagents, chelators (entities that bind to them and help transport them to where they are needed/processed) and other "helpers" to be absorbed or perform their tasks.

One example is iron. Heme iron, from animal protein is attached to heme-proteins (like hemoglobin) that are absorbed at about twice the rate of non-heme (plant-based) sources of iron. Many of these supplements are needed in such small amounts that a pill is typically waaay overkill and just ends up in your pee. Its probably no coincidence that many of these cofactors are found together with vitamins and minerals in natural sources of food - our bodies and its chemical system are the by-product of 3+ billion years of biochemical tinkering based on what is already in our natural environment.

As to taking large (or excessive) quantities of antioxidants, the case that free-radicals/oxidative stress are the cause of aging is far from proven

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Is+the+Free-Radical+Theory+of+Aging+Dead%3F

The lesson is - Eat a wide variety of whole, unprocessed foods in moderation and enjoy your life.

Totally. This is a helpful way to consider how we think about vitamins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritionism  

March 27, 2018, 7:32 p.m.

Was boiling water to make oatmeal yesterday, realized there was no #*@#$@* oatmeal and threw quinoa in the pot instead. 

Came out awesome. Going to do it this way all the time. Wash quinoa, throw it in pot with twice as much water, boil, turn off heat and leave it for 20 min covered.

I like the no BS tone of this article on basic nutrition: http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/03/ultimate-conversation-on-healthy-eating-and-nutrition.html