Healthy eating

Jan. 9, 2014, 7:18 p.m.

well you can tell i never do prime rib roasts but it still sounds like he over ate

Jan. 9, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

what's your point?

Counterpoint to earlier poster's point about grains being bad for you because of their role in plant reproduction/procreation. Grains are just seeds, like a coconut. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that any kind of seed is bad for you.

here's link to the two articles.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/about+oils/9362587/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Oils+that+heal+oils+that+harm/9362591/story.html

fwiw they're both lacking in serious information and i'm really surprised at the lack of knowledge shown by their nutrion "expert from St. Paul's hospital particularly on the topic of coconut oil. there is research to show that coconut oil has a net benefit on our hdl/ldl ratio which is a more important indicator of healthy cholesterol levels. you're better off to have higher hdl and ldl with a good ratio than to have have lower numbers with a bad ratio.

in essence both those sun articles are a joke.

here's some better info with plenty of other links on coconut oil.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/22/magical-fat-that-increases-good-cholesterol-and-lowers-abdominal-obesity-in-women.aspx

Coconut oil is a topic of debate … the research reported in the mercola.com article doesn't link to any peer-reviwed articles in established/well-regarded publications so it may be considered suspect (not that a lot of "impartial" published nutrition and health research isn't agenda-driven too). I've read that imported "tropical oils" have been smeared by North American agribusiness for years because these products compete with their markets for corn, peanut and canola oils. Cleveland clinic concludes olive oil is much healthier than coconut oil. Unless you consume large amounts of oils and have unhealthy blood lipoprotein levels, I don't really know if this is an issue for most healthy people. Also oils tend to be highly processed, so something to keep in mind if you want to keep as much of your diet as unprocessed as possible. Myself, I do like Thai and Malaysian dishes that are often flavoured with coconut oil and flesh. I generally stay away from the pills and potions.

Jan. 10, 2014, 7:15 a.m.

I got some Oolichan grease in the fridge, its sposed to have the befits of olive oil but from a fish and it doesn't spoil

Jan. 10, 2014, 11:19 a.m.

Counterpoint to earlier poster's point about grains being bad for you because of their role in plant reproduction/procreation. Grains are just seeds, like a coconut. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that any kind of seed is bad for you.

Coconut oil is a topic of debate … the research reported in the mercola.com article doesn't link to any peer-reviwed articles in established/well-regarded publications so it may be considered suspect (not that a lot of "impartial" published nutrition and health research isn't agenda-driven too). I've read that imported "tropical oils" have been smeared by North American agribusiness for years because these products compete with their markets for corn, peanut and canola oils. Cleveland clinic concludes olive oil is much healthier than coconut oil. Unless you consume large amounts of oils and have unhealthy blood lipoprotein levels, I don't really know if this is an issue for most healthy people. Also oils tend to be highly processed, so something to keep in mind if you want to keep as much of your diet as unprocessed as possible. Myself, I do like Thai and Malaysian dishes that are often flavoured with coconut oil and flesh. I generally stay away from the pills and potions.

the links are there at the bottom, you just need to expand the list with the plus next to sources and references. the key info is from an article published in the journal lipids

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058

besides that some of the other info from the mercola article is from what i would consider a better source that the sun article. for example contributing author ray peat has a phd in biology with a specialization in physiology and his expertise focuses in areas of hormones and as luck would have it - coconut oil.

http://raypeat.com/about.shtml

everything i've read so far has clearly put coconut oil in a positive light and there is large amount of information out there. my issues with the sun article is they investigated none of this and simply wrote is off as a saturated fat and in essence as bad. while there is some good info there, it errs way to far on the side of caution and omits key information that is critical in determining what may be beneficial and more importantly why.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 10, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

here's another article (with ref's too) on coconut oil.

http://www.naturalhealthsherpa.com/coconut-oil-benefits-weight-loss/5295

if coconut oil was a proprietary product being touted by one company then i would be much more leary of the claims associated with the product, but that's not the case. it's redily available from different suppliers in unrefined, unbleached and made without heat processing or chemicals form.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 16, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

Eating a cinnamon bun for dinner was likely a terrible idea

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 16, 2014, 10:56 p.m.

I ate a bag of doritos for lunch. Haven't had those in about a year. Damn, tasty artificial crack chips…

March 7, 2014, 3:52 a.m.

Eating a cinnamon bun for dinner was likely a terrible idea

Ever tried a Swedish cinnamon bun? They are gorgeous.

Back on the original topic.

In January I posted something along the lines of trying to get rid of any excess starchy grain stuff, actually it did not really work out the way I planned it to do.

My wife still bakes our bread, but uses organical rye flour, a bit of yeast, some salt and water. The breads are becoming better and better - and taste absolutely great.

I have reduced the amount of bread, potatoes to a (probably now for the first time) healthy level.

Reason is, I experienced some seriously scary stuff after a heavy training session, be it running, lifting or martial arts. After a few weeks I just felt weak. I felt I had no real power and energy - which has been true.

So the basic Paleo fad does not work for me - and from a historical point of view it does not make any sense, either. Stone Age people have eaten grains, tubers, legumes and the like - not in the masses it is being consumed today.

Still, I am eating as clean as possible in our highly food-processing world. In this respect Germany is not that different to British Columbia.

And I have not had an allergic reaction for weeks, which is actually pretty great.

But at present I can say "no" to chocolate, cakes, cookies and the like.
And my weight lifting sessions feel great. When running I have the feeling that I am floating, I have not had that one in a loooong time.

On some days I have yoghurt, cottage cheese and fruits for breakfast, on others only fruits, for lunch salads and non-starchy veggies when I am not facing a training session later on in the day, some light fruits and veggies along with one or two slices of bread in the evening.
After lifting weights a protein shake. And usually before a running session that lasts longer than 60 minutes I am eating some fruits like figs, or a thin slice of bread with peanut butter.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 23, 2014, 6:29 a.m.

Hi all,
Here's my story. Historically I average about 5 hrs per week excercise, mostly biking, over the whole year. Years and years of lifting weights in the winter really built a lot of extra mass on my body. After 15 years of drinking I finally quit 2 years ago. I weighed my all time high at that point: 217, at 5'-11". Lost about 15 lbs pretty quickly. Bought The Feed Zone cookbook over a year ago and bought a rice cooker. Lots of good came from that: rice and an egg is now like my favorite food ever. The GF and I both aspire to do better in endurance length running and cycling events, respectively. (She quit booze too a year ago.) This prioritized losing some body mass. I wasn't really losing any more weight until this past fall when I started back to school for degree #2 and was so busy I didn't have time to eat recreationally. Two months ago we decided to quit eating meat entirely. Not bad but we didn't eat much in the first place. No major results there. But, a month ago, we decided to quit dairy. This has been incredible! I have lost 7 lbs in a little over three weeks, on that change alone. I can't believe it. To me, that is obviously the key. I was eating a surprising amount of cheese it turns out. Sharp Cheddar was my all time favorite on crackers. All we eat now is grains, veggies, tofu and eggs basically. But I like it because I feel awesome and keep getting lighter. I am down to 192 as of yesterday which is 25lbs from where I started. Quitting booze was the first piece of the puzzle, everything else came from that. My goal is to get to 185 by mid July for the Butte 50 race, and to beat my PR by 47 minutes. It's going to happen!

March 23, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

Good for you El-T!

April 11, 2014, 7:19 p.m.

Anybody know where to buy larger quantities of Quinoa in Vancouver? I only ever see small boxes at grocery stores. I love how much faster it cooks than brown rice!

April 11, 2014, 8:18 p.m.

Costco sells a big bag of quinoa

April 12, 2014, 12:30 p.m.

Bulk food places. Got a Bulk Barn anywhere nearby?

Doesn't look like Bulk Barn has any locations in the lower mainland. Place like whole foods have it in bulk I imagine, but they're overly expensive

Costco sells a big bag of quinoa

Don't have a membership anymore unfortunately, and wouldn't use it enough to justify paying for one :/ but yeah Costco has largish bags.

April 13, 2014, 12:01 a.m.

Dollar grocer on commercial by broadway (beside jj bean) has bulk quinoa in a couple different varieties

April 13, 2014, 8:51 a.m.

Dollar grocer on commercial by broadway (beside jj bean) has bulk quinoa in a couple different varieties

awesome thanks i'll check it out