Healthy eating

Jan. 3, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

In the past few weeks I've started adding a few Tbsp's of organic Coconut Oil into my diet every day; usually a big dollop in my oatmeal first thing in the morning.

I've suffered from pretty bad hypoglycemia for the past 10 years or more.. I'm the skinny little bastard who has to eat every 2hrs and bonks ridiculously hard on long rides or ski tours unless I carry a pack full of snacks.

Since I've introduced coconut oil into my system my blood sugar seems to have stabilized alot - I can eat a regular 3 meals a day like everyone else and there's no cravings for sugar or carbs in between. Pretty amazing change in my life :)

Jan. 3, 2014, 10:57 a.m.

Grains are reproductive organs. Since it is a plant, it defends itself with chemicals to make the organ difficult to digest for any would-be predator. Gluten is one such defense mechanism.

Ummm …flowers are reproductive organs … seeds contain the germ. Lots of living things besides humans eat seeds.

In the past few weeks I've started adding a few Tbsp's of organic Coconut Oil into my diet every day; usually a big dollop in my oatmeal first thing in the morning.

I've suffered from pretty bad hypoglycemia for the past 10 years or more.. I'm the skinny little bastard who has to eat every 2hrs and bonks ridiculously hard on long rides or ski tours unless I carry a pack full of snacks.

Since I've introduced coconut oil into my system my blood sugar seems to have stabilized alot - I can eat a regular 3 meals a day like everyone else and there's no cravings for sugar or carbs in between. Pretty amazing change in my life :)

The nut part of the coconut is a seed.

Jan. 3, 2014, 12:56 p.m.

The nut part of the coconut is a seed.

what's your point?
I'm not sure how I got lumped in with the glutomaniacs. I eat everything (and almost anything) under the sun…including gluten, seeds, beef, fish, dairy etc.

This thread is about healthy eating…and I'm feeling extra healthy since started eating coconut oil! :dizzy:

Jan. 3, 2014, 7:02 p.m.

what's your point?
I'm not sure how I got lumped in with the glutomaniacs. I eat everything (and almost anything) under the sun…including gluten, seeds, beef, fish, dairy etc.

This thread is about healthy eating…and I'm feeling extra healthy since started eating coconut oil! :dizzy:

I want to try this. I get really hungry between meals on work days. Where do you get it and how much do you use?

Jan. 3, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

i do this everyday too i usually add it into my fresh juices which i blend with frozen berries, I swear it also makes me smarter

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 3, 2014, 7:33 p.m.

Home made chicken chilli is the shit!

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 3, 2014, 8:15 p.m.

I want to try this. I get really hungry between meals on work days. Where do you get it and how much do you use?

most health food stores and grocery stores with an organic section should have it. Couple tbsp a day, but the first few days it can make your stomach a little upset so better to start small and work your way up. Also supposed to be great for cognitive function and I agree that I feel pretty sharp but…that's not saying much

This is the stuff I've been eating:

Jan. 4, 2014, 11:43 a.m.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try it out.

Jan. 4, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

Try extra virgin coconut oil
Also a quality hemp heart(Manitoba Harvest), amazing stuff….and don't skimp, only using a tbsp…1/4c bitches!

Jan. 6, 2014, 9:52 p.m.

I just ate a little more than half of a $30.00 prime rib roast. I'm sure that's more than enough protein to rebuild the muscle fibres I destroyed during my afternoon amble along Spanish Banks, but, I feel kinda' sick right now.
Healthy, yes or no?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 8, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

most health food stores and grocery stores with an organic section should have it. Couple tbsp a day, but the first few days it can make your stomach a little upset so better to start small and work your way up. Also supposed to be great for cognitive function and I agree that I feel pretty sharp but…that's not saying much

This is the stuff I've been eating:

Should check out the article in the Vancouver Sun today about oils. Did not give coconut oil the full thumbs up. (I don't know anything about this stuff, just interesting that there was an article today).

Jan. 8, 2014, 3:49 p.m.

Can't find it on the online version, but was in the print version this morning.

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

here's link to the two articles.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/about+oils/9362587/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Oils+that+heal+oils+that+harm/9362591/story.html

fwiw they're both lacking in serious information and i'm really surprised at the lack of knowledge shown by their nutrion "expert from St. Paul's hospital particularly on the topic of coconut oil. there is research to show that coconut oil has a net benefit on our hdl/ldl ratio which is a more important indicator of healthy cholesterol levels. you're better off to have higher hdl and ldl with a good ratio than to have have lower numbers with a bad ratio.

in essence both those sun articles are a joke.

here's some better info with plenty of other links on coconut oil.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/22/magical-fat-that-increases-good-cholesterol-and-lowers-abdominal-obesity-in-women.aspx

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:53 p.m.

I just ate a little more than half of a $30.00 prime rib roast. I'm sure that's more than enough protein to rebuild the muscle fibres I destroyed during my afternoon amble along Spanish Banks, but, I feel kinda' sick right now.
Healthy, yes or no?

overeating is a huge problem in NA and NOT healthy

you could have cut that roast in half and froze some?

you could have used leftovers in samidches?

you could have cubed some up and put in a salad?

I eat a lot of protein in my diet but I don't over eat

Jan. 9, 2014, 6:59 p.m.

overeating is a huge problem in NA and NOT healthy

you could have cut that roast in half and froze some?

you could have used leftovers in samidches?

you could have cubed some up and put in a salad?

I eat a lot of protein in my diet but I don't over eat

1/2 of a 30 dollar prime rib is a children's portion

Pastor of Muppets