Healthy eating

Dec. 29, 2013, 1:16 p.m.

So has anybody here considered their genetics and ancestry when choosing the foods they eat?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 29, 2013, 6:02 p.m.

Paleo diets do not suffer from hyper-palatability as many carb-based ones do.

Dec. 29, 2013, 7:13 p.m.

yup. so while a plaeo type diet does have some merits, it is not the be all and end all. further the idea that one has to take in high glycemic carbs or drinks to complete an endurance race is not altogether accurate. the human body is great at adapting to it's energy requirements (intake and output)

Unfortunately, the ability to deplete glycogen and then go on to burning fat seems to require high amounts of training that most people probably would not submit to voluntarily, as well as probably a genetic predisposition. Its hard enough just training to reach the stage where you can drain all the glycogen stores in your body and then take in glycemic fluids or food to survive a couple of hours more on that. The irony is that if you are trained to burn fat in a hypoglycemic state, you probably don't have a lot of body fat laying around anyway, which is one reason why women (who tend to have percent wise more body fat then men) tend to excel in ultra marathon/extreme endurance events.

The way adaptation works on populations (population genetics) is that some external/environmental occurence forces a change. The ones that survive do so due to genetic advantage or sheer physical/mental will, all the others die off, and that becomes the predominant characteristic of those in that population and their descendents.

For the guy who says pork had no nutritional value: http://www.organicfacts.net/nutrition-facts/animal-products/nutritional-value-of-beef-and-pork.html

Yeah … we tracked down that guy.

Busted!

Dec. 29, 2013, 8:41 p.m.

So has anybody here considered their genetics and ancestry when choosing the foods they eat?

I have seen a finn and the offspring of finn/irish not be able to handle wheat or milk …lots of rice [HTML_REMOVED] rice dream

Jan. 2, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

Bread is highly processed and as such, I avoid it.

Am i missing something.
Take Wheat, grind it, add water and salt --[HTML_REMOVED] Bread

or do you just mean wonder bread?

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

Jan. 2, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

Am i missing something.
Take Wheat, grind it, add water and salt --[HTML_REMOVED] Bread

or do you just mean wonder bread?

Actually this is only true if you a)have full control about the process, i.e. you bake it yourself by preparing everything…yourself; b)you know a bakery in which no additives and the like are used, call it fully organic, for example.

Fact is, next time you buy bread at the local Supermarket/grocery store, check out the list of ingredients. You could be in for a surprise.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 2, 2014, 1:12 p.m.

Actually this is only true if you a)have full control about the process, i.e. you bake it yourself by preparing everything…yourself; b)you know a bakery in which no additives and the like are used, call it fully organic, for example.

Fact is, next time you buy bread at the local Supermarket/grocery store, check out the list of ingredients. You could be in for a surprise.

Well the first line applies to me, ie I make my own bread.
Which is i guess why i ask, can you not easily get "real" bread. Surely terra breads or someone like that has to be the real deal for the price you pay.

When i throw together bread after work today it will literally just be flour, water, and salt as i use a sourdough starter..

Jan. 2, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

Flour is wheat that has been shucked, dried, pulverized and has chemicals added to it to change its colour and keep it from clumping. Bread includes, baking soda, baking powder, both chemicals. Most bakeries use powdered or liquid eggs as well. It may sound like food but the nutrition has been bled out of it, and you body will barely recognise it as food.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Jan. 3, 2014, 4:52 a.m.

Flour is wheat that has been shucked, dried, pulverized and has chemicals added to it to change its colour and keep it from clumping. Bread includes, baking soda, baking powder, both chemicals. Most bakeries use powdered or liquid eggs as well. It may sound like food but the nutrition has been bled out of it, and you body will barely recognise it as food.

You need to learn how to bake bread.

protip: You dont have to use wheat flour,commercial baking soda or baking powder to make bread.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 3, 2014, 6:22 a.m.

I wish north america was more down with good rye bread.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 3, 2014, 6:26 a.m.

I wish north america was more down with good rye bread.

Make your own. I wish North Americans didn't knead (see what I did there?) everything done for them

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 3, 2014, 7:02 a.m.

maybe when i make big bucks like you ill be able to afford my own rolling pin

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 3, 2014, 7:22 a.m.

maybe when i make big bucks like you ill be able to afford my own rolling pin

First fail…you don't knead a rolling pin for bread,just your hands….but I guess you've already established that they're too weak to turn a wrench,maybe your girlfriend could knead the dough for you.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 3, 2014, 7:46 a.m.

Paleo is about avoiding things that are bad for you and eating things that are good for you, using our evolutionary heritage as a basis of understanding. Like how a zookeeper doesn't feed his tigers spinach salads for dinner.

It is NOT seeking to re-enact some ideal cave-person lifestyle.

When you eat the reproductive organ of a living thing, that living thing won't reproduce. The entire goal of its existence is to not let that happen.

Grains are reproductive organs. Since it is a plant, it defends itself with chemicals to make the organ difficult to digest for any would-be predator. Gluten is one such defense mechanism.

The only reason government issued food-guides tell you to eat 10 servings of grains every day is because we couldn't cheaply feed the masses without them. Same goes for industrial processed "vegetable" oils.

Jan. 3, 2014, 8:08 a.m.

Grains are reproductive organs. Since it is a plant, it defends itself with chemicals to make the organ difficult to digest for any would-be predator. Gluten is one such defense mechanism.

To each there own..
This morning i crushed some grain defence protiens after my trainer ride with some home smoked salmon and good ol cream cheese..