Healthy eating

Nov. 22, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

Yes ALWAYS check the white label on your food product to see how much sugar and chose the product with the lowest sugar levels

and while you are at it check the portion amount and quit eating too much

Nov. 23, 2013, 1:20 a.m.

Yes ALWAYS check the white label on your food product to see how much sugar and chose the product with the lowest sugar levels

I honestly only ever check for sodium on that %part, and just read the ingredients for everything else. If sugar is too high up the ingredients list, or listed multiple times in different forms, or I don't recognize a bunch of the words, I wont buy it. Sugar, brown sugar, and glucose all mean sugar, but can be written as different ingredients it seems.

Nov. 23, 2013, 6:45 a.m.

Maltodextrine. It's used to sweeten and also improve the texture of food (less chalkiness). Your body absorbs the carbs out if it faster than sugar so it's a great supplement for fitness products. If your consuming it and not working out it's the fastest way to pack on weight.

Nov. 23, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

You can also check the Ingredients list … they are supposed to be listed in order of their abundance. So if you see sugar, salt and a bunch of stuff your grandparents wouldn't recognize as the one of the first few ingredients, look around for something else.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Harper Government has decided to stop policing and testing/verifying food labelling and moving towards the model of "self-regulation" by industry (because everyone knows how well that works) and consumer complaints, so it seems like there is no reason to trust food labels anymore, either.

Nov. 23, 2013, 6:21 p.m.

Lately I've been really into a warmed kale and bacon salad that comes together quickly.

- cut bacon into small bits and turn on medium heat
- add anything else you want to be cooked rather than raw (cauliflower, onion, garlic)
- chop kale into small bits - you can use lots as it will reduce a bit
- chop cold ingredients (tomatoes, bell peppers, apple or pear)
- drop kale into pan with bacon etc with a couple teaspoons of water and cover for 1-2 minutes, just enough to steam the kale to a deeper green.
- make some dressing in a mason jar (sealed and shaken): equal parts olive oil, apple cider or balsamic vingear, honey, and mustard or peanut butter - that's a good start but you can always adjust to taste.
- drop it all into a medium size stainless steel bowl, add hemp seeds, and eat!

flickr

Nov. 23, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

Problem is.those portion sizes are for midgets who sit at desks all day.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 23, 2013, 7:59 p.m.

Lately I've been really into a warmed kale and bacon salad that comes together quickly.

- cut bacon into small bits and turn on medium heat
- add anything else you want to be cooked rather than raw (cauliflower, onion, garlic)
- chop kale into small bits - you can use lots as it will reduce a bit
- chop cold ingredients (tomatoes, bell peppers, apple or pear)
- drop kale into pan with bacon etc with a couple teaspoons of water and cover for 1-2 minutes, just enough to steam the kale to a deeper green.
- make some dressing in a mason jar (sealed and shaken): equal parts olive oil, apple cider or balsamic vingear, honey, and mustard or peanut butter - that's a good start but you can always adjust to taste.
- drop it all into a medium size stainless steel bowl, add hemp seeds, and eat!

I'm stealing that one. I heart kale.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 23, 2013, 9:10 p.m.

Problem is.those portion sizes are for midgets who sit at desks all day.

well as a little old hAZN man I would resemble that remark, as a supersized dude who has the active job you could probably eat more so how much can you eat and stay at your stable weight?

I used to over eat and I have high blood sugar so the overeating showed up in my lab tests with high blood gluscose levels SO I started going by the portions on the white nutrition label, chosing products off the shelf with lower sugar levels and cutting out all added sweetner

From 170-175 I lost 15-20 lbs in 6 months, lowered my blood glucose by 2 points, good cholesterol went up and bad cholesterol went down and I lost that gut out front

very active now, I get tested every 3 months, I eat mostly protien [HTML_REMOVED] veg and still drink same as ever

Nov. 23, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

Stir frys and pastas are my go to meals. Gluten free stuff is better. Load em up with meat, veggies, sauce, chilis and call it a meal. I make lots so I have a healthy snack in the fridge when I get the urge for something quick. Much healthier than nuking a pizza pop or burrito.

Nov. 23, 2013, 10:26 p.m.

i do this part either with bacon grease or sesame oil (with green onions, mushrooms, etc) and then scramble with eggs. eggs and kale are great in the morning.

due to a food delivery service we are on (endless harvest for folks within reach of ymir), i have discovered collards. fry up some red onion, garlic, then add cider vinegar and chicken broth and chopped up collards and simmer. pretty standard recipe found online, but it is pretty awesome

i'm looking for tips on chard because i haven't found a recipe that makes that stuff taste good

Nov. 24, 2013, 8:44 a.m.

i'm looking for tips on chard because i haven't found a recipe that makes that stuff taste good

It makes a good soup. Mix something like Navy Beans, Lentils or Barley with it. I made one last winter similar to this one off of Epicurious that turned out pretty tasty.

Tip though. McCormick's brand bouillon is Vegan and comes in Chicken and Beef Flavour so I recommend using it as the bouillon if you are trying to keep this as a Vegan dish.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Barley-and-Lentil-Soup-with-Swiss-Chard-231578

Nov. 24, 2013, 8:06 p.m.

I'm stealing that one. I heart kale.

I've stopped buying spinach because kale keeps better and doesn't get mushy. I rarely eat it any way but lightly steamed – don't love it raw but will do it, and think kale chips are a waste even though it's the first way most people think of preparing it.

i do this part either with bacon grease or sesame oil (with green onions, mushrooms, etc) and then scramble with eggs. eggs and kale are great in the morning.

Ah yes, kale in everything! (For the above noted reasons.) Another good substitute is putting kale in the Whitewater cookbook's Glory Bowl recipe (which I take liberty with and put a similar dressing as above with more emphasis on peanut).

flickr

Nov. 25, 2013, 8:14 a.m.

i run kale thru the juicer, and cook with the pulp and down the juice.

throw it into chili, soup, pasta sauce.

Nov. 25, 2013, 9:51 a.m.

Kale is the easiest thing in the world to grow and lasts pretty much indefinitely.

For you oatmeal fans - try steel cut oats. I thought it was a gimmick till the gf (good Saskatchewan farm girl) made some for me. OMFG what a difference. I am done all other kinds of oats / steel cut only from now on.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 25, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

I wonder what kale would be like in the food dehydrater?