Healthy eating

Nov. 20, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

I was going to call this thread fitness diets, but I hate that word (diet). I try to eat healthy, and believe in everything in moderation. I listen to my own body, and that's lead to cutting down on carbs, which has helped my waistline and improved my energy. Both my girlfriend and myself are trying to lessen the amount of sugar we intake.

Anyway, enough about me; let's hear about your fitness eating habits, diets, etc. Ideas/recipes for meals and snacks are most welcome!

Nov. 20, 2013, 7:38 p.m.

Watch "Epic Mealtime" every Tuesday on Youtube. Some good cooking [HTML_REMOVED] eating going on there.

Thread killer

Nov. 20, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

juice a bunch of fruit and veggies, put in wheat grass powder, coconut oil then put in some berries and turn it into a smoothie

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Nov. 20, 2013, 8:36 p.m.

No wheat.

/thread

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 20, 2013, 9:03 p.m.

Ben [HTML_REMOVED] Jerry's Phish Food Ice Cream. Seriously so good.

I eat a lot of veggies, and fruits. Try to eat only 100% whole wheat(wraps, pasta) as much as possible. A few years ago I cut sugar out of my coffee, still put some honey in my tea though. Stopped drinking milk (dairy intake is cheese, yogurt, creamer) Hammer back desert and sweets like they're going out of style.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 20, 2013, 9:09 p.m.

For dinner steak, salad [HTML_REMOVED] half a bottle of red wine

for breaky lot's of espresso [HTML_REMOVED] fried egg sammy

for lunch usually a salami or LJ sammy [HTML_REMOVED] more espresso

I lost weight on this^^ diet

Nov. 20, 2013, 10:39 p.m.

Very low carb, very little processed food, lots of meat, fruit, vegetables, dairy, nuts, fat, and alcohol. Results: lost unnecessary weight, lowered blood glucose, lowered LDL, raised HDL, doctor amazed.

There is no doubt something to the "paleo" / "primal" / GI / wheat belly type of diet. I see no reason to eat much carb now, and no reason to avoid eating almost everything else, based on my own experience.

Edit: I do find that oatmeal before a ride has a noticeable effect on stamina, so there is a place for carbs.

Nov. 21, 2013, 9:12 a.m.

All three macos at every meal, lots of fruit vegetables, rice and grains. Peanut butter, nuts an omega oils for fats. I cut out dairy, as my sytem doesnt handle it.
Since focusing on riding, and being more agressive on the bike rice has been an amzing fuel. Now that I am starting strength training, i am thinking about adding a after workout protien suppliment.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Nov. 21, 2013, 10:11 a.m.

Ben [HTML_REMOVED] Jerry's Phish Food Ice Cream.

Ice cream is my kryptonite … I have a substance abuse problem - the substance I abuse is ice cream. Its the reason I've done half-ironman triathlons, marathons and 8-12 hour bike rides … because at the end you can do things like eat a whole tub of ice cream and wash it down with a few beers (while sitting in a bathtub of ice) and there is nothing anybody can say about it.

Nov. 21, 2013, 11:58 p.m.

Edit: I do find that oatmeal before a ride has a noticeable effect on stamina, so there is a place for carbs.

Fruit…but more frequent???

Nov. 22, 2013, 12:43 a.m.

Ice cream is my kryptonite … I have a substance abuse problem - the substance I abuse is ice cream. Its the reason I've done half-ironman triathlons, marathons and 8-12 hour bike rides … because at the end you can do things like eat a whole tub of ice cream and wash it down with a few beers (while sitting in a bathtub of ice) and there is nothing anybody can say about it.

i don't need an excuse like a half ironman triathlon to down a tub of ice cream. walking from the couch to the fridge is enough of an excuse. the trip back nets me a cake.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 22, 2013, 10:22 a.m.

In the am I need fuel for play which is protien

I eat the cereal at nigh for a snac, museli with high fat yogurt satisfyes and in the morning …you are a regular guy :)

Nov. 22, 2013, 11:14 a.m.

In the am I need fuel for play which is protien

I eat the cereal at nigh for a snac, museli with high fat yogurt satisfyes and in the morning …you are a regular guy :)

Muesli with yogurt rocks. I use Rogers Porridge Oats cut with regular oats, soaked with yogurt and soy milk (lactose intolerant) for a few hours in the fridge. Sprinkle of raisins before eating. Has replaced oatmeal as my "go to" pre-ride meal. Far tastier and easier to prepare.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 22, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

I just buy jordan's supreme 50% fruit [HTML_REMOVED] nuts,some times I cut it with fibre 1, mix with 6% fat astro yogurt

Nov. 22, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

I just buy jordan's supreme 50% fruit [HTML_REMOVED] nuts,some times I cut it with fibre 1, mix with 6% fat astro yogurt

Jordan's and other Euro mueslis are good, much better than North American granolas (too much sugar). Problem is, I eat so much that I'd have to buy Jordan's by the container load. I think I'll pick up some of that Roger's 9 Grain to try.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk