Healthy eating

Dec. 3, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

For you oatmeal fans - try steel cut oats. I thought it was a gimmick till the gf (good Saskatchewan farm girl) made some for me. OMFG what a difference. I am done all other kinds of oats / steel cut only from now on.

Agree. They take longer to cook and absorb a bit more water than regular oats but have a nice chewy texture. I usually put mine in the pan the night before with water, cover, and then turn on in the morning. Should get back into the habit of that – too often it's coffee only until mid-afternoon.

flickr

Dec. 3, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

For dinner steak, salad [HTML_REMOVED] half a bottle of red wine

for breaky lot's of espresso [HTML_REMOVED] fried egg sammy

for lunch usually a salami or LJ sammy [HTML_REMOVED] more espresso

I lost weight on this^^ diet

So I just had my A1C which i get every 3 months and the once a year full blood work, doc sez I got great cholesteral #'s in fact she likes all my numbers except the blood sugar of 7.0 but I got high blood sugar and I'm not taking meds for that

So that was eating not too much food in a high fat/ high protien/ lowish carb/ low sugar diet while probably drinking too much but que-ce-que fuck

Diet is defined as what you eat whereas dieting is what you go on

Dec. 3, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

Agree. They take longer to cook and absorb a bit more water than regular oats but have a nice chewy texture. I usually put mine in the pan the night before with water, cover, and then turn on in the morning. Should get back into the habit of that – too often it's coffee only until mid-afternoon.

I love me some steel cuts. Eating that for breaky 4-5 times a week right now. I should try the night before thing, as I usually don't get around to making breakfest until 2+ cups of coffee in (double americanos), and I'm shaking. Then the 30 minute wait sucks!

What are you guys mixing in with your oats for flavour, etc.?

Dec. 4, 2013, 8:05 a.m.

Try steel cut oats with cinnamon and blueberries. It is so good for you and tastes great! You likely won't need to add any sugar.

Dec. 4, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

Diet is defined as what you eat whereas dieting is what you go on

Planning your Diet works, Dieting doesn't. Unsustainable "Dieting" for a few weeks/months and then going back to your old, bad habits is sure to end in failure. Healthy "Diet" commitments should serve to benefit you for the rest of your life.

Dec. 4, 2013, 6:38 p.m.

Andon that note I am committed to some wine with a pork steak tonight

Dec. 5, 2013, 11:37 p.m.

I don't know if this has been around for a while or not, but vegetable bread exists, and is said to have 1 serving of vegetables per slice. It's not overly horrible with some peanut butter and fruit on top, and I think it makes for a pretty complete snack/meal that can be made in less than 5 minutes.
Vector cereal with berries and a banana is my other complete-ish snack/meal that can be made in less than 5 min.

Dec. 6, 2013, 1:36 a.m.

Along the same lines I heard about "kale powder" this week. I take it to be crunched up, overcooked kale chips that can be put into basically any meal, and you still get decent nutrition out of it. I compost on average a couple leaves of kale a week in order to keep it in my fridge basically at all times, so this could be a good thing.

flickr

Dec. 6, 2013, 7:50 a.m.

I bought a giant bag of frozen, shredded kale from costco. Great for smoothies or to toss into eggs.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 14, 2013, 7:02 p.m.

I'm going to have to add cedar planked salmon to this thread. So good and so healthy. I drizzle some maple syrup on top, put it in the oven at 425 or BBQ low-med. Bonus points if you catch the salmon and cut the plank yourself. I cooked this tonight and it tasted awesome and my house smells amazing. If you cook it in the oven leave the door open a crack, I find it cooks slower and the cedar flavour is more noticable. Also it fills your house with a manly cedar-maple-salmon smell.

Dec. 17, 2013, 12:37 p.m.

One of the best investments I ever did make was a book on chemicals and non-natural ingredients. I have Food allergy (no nuts, fruits, etc - probably one of those chemical, artificial ingredients).

I can only have it tested at a University Hospital in my area since it involves a different testing than what is usually done.

The allergy is a sort of rash and the "cure" is Cortisone, so I no longer eat anything that contains anything that is not natural. Basically I have to eat clean if I want to stay allergy-free. Which is a bummer since every visit at a restaurant can be like an obstacle course.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 17, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

^^^

so no more beer for you!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 18, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

^^^

so no more beer for you!

Actually, I can drink beer brewed to the German Purity Law from the end of the Middle Ages (people used to put henbane/stinking nightshade and lots of other, mind-altering substances into beer….)which basically means that nothing apart from the usual stuff is used in the production process.

If you were talking about rootbeer…..well, that is a different thing altogether.

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 18, 2013, 5:54 p.m.

they can put anything they want in it just as long as they don't call it " BEER "

I make wine (mostly white) from kits and the good thing about it is much less sulphates for people who find it to be a problem

Dec. 27, 2013, 11:28 a.m.

My wife is starting to read one book after the other on sugars, starches, wheat, and the like.
Most of the readers of this thread know most important things about sugars and starches and how we are all fooled by the food industry, the governments (same in Germany as in the US, recommended healthy diet is based on Carbs…) and most doctors.

Currently we are on the road to a modified Paleo Diet in which our only carbs come from veggies and fruits, along with fibers and protein.

- Kristen Ulmer