healthy and satisfying breakfast ideas

May 19, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

That's because you stop eating cereal before you hate yourself. Most people fail to realize that a cereal box is the real suggested serving size. ;)

As for cottage cheese, love the stuff too. If you're looking for super-satiation… mix cottage cheese with natural peanut butter and some chocolate protein powder. Add a bit of water otherwise you'll choke. Yum.

I love peanut butter, never thought about combining them… this could change my world for the better.

The wife has been talking about Vitamix/Blendtec a lot lately as she does the smoothy thing. Kram's recipe sounds pretty damn good and meets my workday [HTML_REMOVED]5 minute requirement.

May 19, 2016, 11:09 a.m.

salivating here. great ideas. cottage cheese with hemp powder maybe. love the taste of hemp powder, almost like smoky pistachio or something.

May 19, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

I start my day the same way everyday; with a smoothie. You'd think I'd be sick of it by now, but I am far from it.

Requires a good blender like a Vitamix to really make it good.
4 raw eggs
handfuls of spinach, hemp seeds and walnuts
1/2 avocado
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 or 3 frozen bananas.

The key is to let the bananas ripen til they are spotty and then peel and freeze them. This really makes or breaks it, and unfrozen bananas simply can't compete with taste or texture. The result with frozen ripe bananas is an extremely smooth and creamy sweet sensation. If I have a big day ahead I'll throw in 5 or 6 eggs and can make it til dinner time while being active all day if I have to.

I have a bit of hard time getting enough calories if I have to chew my breakfast as I don't really feel like eating in the morning. This way I can easily kick back some serious calories and hydrate at the same time.

wow, that's a big breakfast eh?! 4 eggs, it must be mighty filling. are you framing houses?

May 19, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

wow, that's a big breakfast eh?! 4 eggs, it must be mighty filling. are you framing houses?

More satisfying than filling if that makes sense. Easy to get down.

I sit at a desk. But I lift 3 days a week, and ride or kite almost every day. I have a ferocious metabolism and prior to throwing eggs in my smoothies I was rather skinny. Now I'm pretty average.

May 20, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

I'm another oatmeal guy.
Been eating this 5 days a week for at least a year. Raw Oats with flax seed (no added sugar), frozen unsweetened berries, cinnamon, pinch salt. Nuke all that then add 1 banana, raw cashews, almonds, pumpkin [HTML_REMOVED] sunflower seeds, sultanas and unsweetened dried coconut. Still enjoy it every morning and crave it for dessert sometimes too.

Days off consist of bacon, eggs, lots of sauteed vege with feta cheese to make a sauce and some avocado.

May 20, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

Tim Hortons has a new Farmers Breakfast sandwich that is basically like their regular sausage sandwich only the hashbrown is now placed inside the sandwich for you upon ordering. Make it a combo and get another hashbrown on the side.

It's really satisfying if you eat it, and it's relatively healthy if all you do is smell the vapours coming off it.

May 26, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

Tim Hortons has a new Farmers Breakfast sandwich that is basically like their regular sausage sandwich only the hashbrown is now placed inside the sandwich for you upon ordering. Make it a combo and get another hashbrown on the side.

It's really satisfying if you eat it, and it's relatively healthy if all you do is smell the vapours coming off it.

ha!

May 26, 2016, 10:26 p.m.

Multigrain Cheerios , or Wheetabix , of Multigrain cereal by LIFE with 1% milk , pretty much my daily since childhood is some form of cereal

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 27, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

Three-stage breakfast for training mornings (M, W, F):

Pre-workout:
- 1 cup chia pudding with berries
- 1 cup large flake oats (soaked in 1 cup of almond milk overnight and eaten uncooked) with 1 chopped banana
Post-workout:
- 2 fried eggs with kimchi
- Green smoothie (handful of leafy greens, 1 cup large flake oats, 1 scoop Vega protein powder, spoonful of hemp hearts, frozen berries, almond milk)
Post-ride to work:
- 1 cup homemade granola with almond milk and 1 chopped banana

I wonder how many calories this would be?

May 27, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

i'm impatient in the morning. so i've given the two minute eggs a go.

Two-Minute Microwave Coffee Cup Spicy Egg Scramble with Salsa
Ingredients
2 eggs
2 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1 dab of coconut oil (to grease the mug)

Directions:
1. Coat a 12-ounce microwave-safe coffee mug with dab of coconut oil.
2. Add eggs and milk; beat until blended.
3. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds; stir.
4. Microwave until eggs are almost set, 30 to 45 seconds longer.
5. Top with salsa and cheese.
Pro Tip: If you're like me and you don't like having any dishes to wash (not even one coffee cup!), you can hollow out a red or green bell pepper and cook your eggs inside the pepper and eat it!

Three-Minute Breakfast Burrito
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 8-inch whole-wheat sprouted grain tortilla
1/8 cup salsa
1/4 cup black beans
2 slices avocado
2 tablespoons milk
* 2 tablespoons shredded cheese

Directions:
1. Coat a 12-ounce microwave-safe coffee mug with cooking spray.
2. Add eggs and milk; beat until blended.
3. Microwave on HIGH 45 seconds; stir.
4. Add in black beans and stir again.
5. Microwave until eggs and beans are almost set, 30 to 45 seconds longer.
6. When the eggs and bean mixture is hot, spoon it out onto the tortilla, and top with shredded cheese, chopped avocado and salsa.
7. Wrap it up and enjoy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/eggs-or-cereal-which-is-a-better-breakfast-for-weight-loss-2/#ixzz49sKksYZ4

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 28, 2016, 9:47 a.m.

i'm impatient in the morning. so i've given the two minute eggs a go.

Two-Minute Microwave Coffee Cup Spicy Egg Scramble with Salsa
Ingredients
2 eggs
2 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1 dab of coconut oil (to grease the mug)

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/blog/eggs-or-cereal-which-is-a-better-breakfast-for-weight-loss-2/#ixzz49sKksYZ4

How'd this one turn out? I've been debating soemthing liek this at work.

May 28, 2016, 2:56 p.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcolin View Post
there is a huge bag of relatively-instant Bob's steel cut oats at Costco.

This stuff is great. I add lots of cinnamon, blueberries (thawed) and almonds. Serve with a bit of milk; no added sugar required. It also goes well topped with sliced bananas and or fresh strawberries.

Make lots of extra servings. It heats up really well in the micro throughout the week. Change your toppings and voila, you don't get bored of it.

Eggs make for an easy meal; throw in whatever you have in the fridge for a good scramble… ham, bacon, sausage, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, broccoli, cheese. Maybe not all of those ingredients at once, though, lol. I like to top it with avocado and a hot sauce like Tapatio.

May 30, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

How'd this one turn out? I've been debating soemthing liek this at work.

pretty decent really. i think if you threw it in a wrap it would be equivalent to the mcdonalds breakfast wrap ;) Just watch out for the egg boiling over if you heat it too much.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 30, 2016, 10:40 a.m.

I occasionally make this up for breakfast. It takes me about an hour to make on the weekend and makes enough to feed me for the week, just pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it's good to go.