healthy and satisfying breakfast ideas

May 17, 2016, 10:35 p.m.

i could happily eat a couple bowls of flakes and couple pieces of toast every day. it'll send you straight to hell though, so i need a broader selection of breakfast ideas.
- eggs in any shape are always good, like those.
- eggs n' leftover meat even better
- oatmeal with stuff on it (walnuts, raisins, blueberries, bananas)

i run out of ideas quick though. looking for satisfying and healthy, ie, fat and protein laden…

May 17, 2016, 10:51 p.m.

Baked Honey Berry Oatmeal…reduce the sugar/honey…tasty enough for dessert

http://apple-of-my-eye.com/2014/05/02/baked-honey-berry-oatmeal/

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 17, 2016, 10:54 p.m.

My laziness demands a VitaMix. Then whatever veggies/fruits/yogurt/oats/flax/nuts/protein I have on hand.

Some work much better than others.

May 17, 2016, 10:56 p.m.

You asked for eggs and meat…Chili and Chorizo Breakfast Strata. Can be made in advance and makes great leftovers. Not low cal though.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Green-Chili-and-Chorizo-Breakfast-Strata-102428

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 18, 2016, 6:50 a.m.

Didn't know you could go to hell for eating flakes. Oh well, "all my friends are gonna be there too" and all that. So:
Scrambled Eggs
Drop Scones
Pancakes (stuffed with beans and/or meat like a burrito).
Baked Cheesecake. May have to prepare that one in advance, can be done as a savoury cake that would go well with bacon/salami/meat leftovers.
Frittata. Easiest to make it the day before. You can add practically anything to a Frittata: Leftover meat, leftover potatoes, bacon, fish, veg, goat's cheese.
Bannock like the one here (ignore the pagan/wiccan stuff, the recipe is tasty): http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/beltanecooking/r/BeltaneBannocks.htm , with fruits and yoghurt on it. Or peanut butter (homemade, of course). Or honey, but that might send you to hell, too.
Hummus (on the Bannock, for example)
Refried beans with creme fraiche
There's a kind of smoothie made mainly from bananas, yoghurt and porridge oats.
There are a few porridge variations with nuts etc, may be worth looking up.

May 18, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

Baked eggs in muffin tins.
- line muffin tins with 2-3 pieces of prosciutto
- 2-3 scoops of avocado, fresh egg, top w. couple slices of cheese
- bake in 375 pre-heated oven for 10mins (get your coffee ready)
- enjoy!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

May 18, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

there is a huge bag of relatively-instant Bob's steel cut oats at Costco. Add chia while cooking, then maple syrup, banana and a massive dollop of Adam's peanut butter once in the bowl

fast and keeps me sorta full.

i've tried to make it the night before, then add yogurt to it in the morning, but haven't got it quite right.

May 18, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

some great sounding ideas.

i forgot eggs n spam. spam eggs spam n spam. spam eggs sausage spam and spam…..

May 18, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

Weekdays I eat the same thing: ~250g low sodium cottage cheese (full fat) with a handful of blueberries (fresh in season, frozen in winter). Probably 350-400ish calories and 30-35g protein. I like this because I can eat it in like 2 minutes hovering over the sink before rushing to work. I feel satiated until lunch and doesn't give me any gas. I am weird.

Weekends when we have time to cook: eggs, bacon, avacado etc. Never been a cereal guy for some reason and eating bready carb stuff doesn't make me feel full.

May 18, 2016, 10:38 a.m.

Weekdays I eat the same thing: ~250g low sodium cottage cheese (full fat) with a handful of blueberries (fresh in season, frozen in winter). Probably 350-400ish calories and 30-35g protein. I like this because I can eat it in like 2 minutes hovering over the sink before rushing to work. I feel satiated until lunch and doesn't give me any gas. I am weird.

Weekends when we have time to cook: eggs, bacon, avacado etc. Never been a cereal guy for some reason and eating bready carb stuff doesn't make me feel full.

That's because you stop eating cereal before you hate yourself. Most people fail to realize that a cereal box is the real suggested serving size. ;)

As for cottage cheese, love the stuff too. If you're looking for super-satiation… mix cottage cheese with natural peanut butter and some chocolate protein powder. Add a bit of water otherwise you'll choke. Yum.

May 18, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

I start my day the same way everyday; with a smoothie. You'd think I'd be sick of it by now, but I am far from it.

Requires a good blender like a Vitamix to really make it good.
4 raw eggs
handfuls of spinach, hemp seeds and walnuts
1/2 avocado
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 or 3 frozen bananas.

The key is to let the bananas ripen til they are spotty and then peel and freeze them. This really makes or breaks it, and unfrozen bananas simply can't compete with taste or texture. The result with frozen ripe bananas is an extremely smooth and creamy sweet sensation. If I have a big day ahead I'll throw in 5 or 6 eggs and can make it til dinner time while being active all day if I have to.

I have a bit of hard time getting enough calories if I have to chew my breakfast as I don't really feel like eating in the morning. This way I can easily kick back some serious calories and hydrate at the same time.

May 18, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

2 pieces of bacon.
3 eggs fried in the bacon fat.
2 cups of amazing coffee, black.
1 glass of water.

Easy. Satisfying. No blood sugar issues.

May 18, 2016, 4:15 p.m.

there is a huge bag of relatively-instant Bob's steel cut oats at Costco. Add maple syrup, banana and a massive dollop of Adam's peanut butter once in the bowl

This is my go to breakfast before Sunday morning club-rides, works a charm.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

May 18, 2016, 4:59 p.m.

there is a huge bag of relatively-instant Bob's steel cut oats at Costco. Add chia while cooking, then maple syrup, banana and a massive dollop of Adam's peanut butter once in the bowl

I also add chocolate protein powder to that. Tastes like dessert.

May 18, 2016, 10:41 p.m.

Grilled sandwich with ham, cheese, and egg. Fry the egg (broken yolk), fry the ham (optional), put it together with buttered bread (buttered side facing towards the pan) and cheese. Grill until bread is crispy and cheese melted.

I eat one almost every day. It really keeps you going.