hamstrings and cycling...

April 10, 2014, 5:10 p.m.

mine is bad, but certainly not THAT bad! the doc and now physio seem to think i'll be fine but there's no doubt a dedicated rehab will be required with a lot of strength training in the late stages. i'm willing to put in the disciplined effort that's for sure. i expect my physio to do his homework as well, but for the first few weeks it's very basic.

April 10, 2014, 5:10 p.m.

I think being aware and acting on that awareness and you should be all good. While the advice of NBR is all knowing….it's always good to get an actually experts second opinion on these types of things. When I first took a look at the photo you posted, I was sure you had Lupus.

Plus its always nice to correct the dr. with…."Enduramil says you're wrong"

Sorry Enduramil, I had to use that one.

No worries.

On a side note to this stuff. Girl I knew had a bad crash and had the usual big black and blue mark. No pics as pre digital age. And the big bump on her thigh. Once the black and blue disappeared she still had the bump. Gist I got from the physical trainer in 2005 I know is that basically the body I guess didn't break stuff down. So it was still there.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 10, 2014, 5:50 p.m.

Informing someone of a possible, sometimes unnoticed, life-threatening condition is weird? May we all live in weird times.

Yeah…a bloke with a pulled hamstring comes on and asks a bunch of mountain bikers about his injury, and it turns into watch out for blood clots goin to your heart[HTML_REMOVED]#8230;.weird to me.

diggin

April 10, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

Yeah…a bloke with a pulled hamstring comes on and asks a bunch of mountain bikers about his injury, and it turns into watch out for blood clots goin to your heart .weird to me.

because if one pulls/tears a muscle there is a possibility that this can happen….how is that weird?

April 10, 2014, 7:18 p.m.

No worries.

On a side note to this stuff. Girl I knew had a bad crash and had the usual big black and blue mark. No pics as pre digital age. And the big bump on her thigh. Once the black and blue disappeared she still had the bump. Gist I got from the physical trainer in 2005 I know is that basically the body I guess didn't break stuff down. So it was still there.

I know a person with the same thing. big lump where a bruise once was.

April 10, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

because if one pulls/tears a muscle there is a possibility that this can happen….how is that weird?

Huge possibility so it really should be thought of and worried about. I mustve escaped near death quite a few times now.

diggin

April 10, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

Huge possibility so it really should be thought of and worried about. I mustve escaped near death quite a few times now.

Yes massive possibility….lol.

More of a pay attention to your recovery type of thing. I personally would have never have thought something like could happen and have not worried about it at all till recently and I'm sure the chances of it happening are likely less than 1%(actually its the first I've ever heard about it)

But, when something like that does happen to someone you know or in your circle of friends…..it makes you a little more aware…..more so when they could have died from it…..you know a harmless little muscle tear.

April 12, 2014, 6:54 a.m.

I have a lump in the middle of my shin from smacking it on a log 8 years ago. It's the size of a dime and sticks out a little more than half a centimeter. Now I always wear my armor!

It's a great conversation starter at least.

April 14, 2014, 2:44 p.m.

Told me to start massaging the areas in a few days to help the area. Working from the edges. Did it and worked.

Speaking of the whole elevating thing. Years ago was told after long runs and such to elevate my legs. Anyone who has been in the military and done long route marches will have seen guys during breaks elevating their legs all the time. Maybe this was a head of the curve without even knowing.

I can see how for those who are into Ultra Endurance events…Ironman, Ultramarathon, and so on. There is a potential for problems. If you look at these athlete' slower legs you will notice they do swell up a bit as well as the hands as some fluid does build up over time. As the body can't return it all fast enough.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 15, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Told me to start massaging the areas in a few days to help the area. Working from the edges. Did it and worked.

Its probably a scar tissue formation. You can often break it down by regular massage.

April 15, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

laser and ultrasonic treatment will help break up scar tissue and hardened blood in muscle tissue ,i had both treatments done on my knee and ankle

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 17, 2014, 3:57 p.m.

starting to be able to walk normally. pain easing up, swelling down, purple subsiding. bad grade 2 according to physio. he reckons one of the 3 strands that makes up the hammy is gone. can't detect 1 of the tendon's during contraction. starting very modest isometric resistance but that's all. i'm frustrated with the pace of recovery though and the lack of specifics from the physio, which i think is normal: caution seems to be the over riding approach… i have no idea when i'll be able to resume anything approaching regular mtn biking. sigh….