hamstrings and cycling...

April 8, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

sprinting in last hockey game of the season on the weekend, 100% max effort and felt a pop in my leg. searing pain, couldn't put weight on my leg for a bit. fubar'd
looks like this today. so riding bliss delayed. doc says it's a grade 2+ strain. lots of rehab to come.

my biggest fear is reinjury and not regaining full strength and more. don't want to have it happen again.

anyone out there had this kind of injury and any positive insights or inspiring stories of how you're better than ever and all that jazz? think i'll be doing grinding tech climbs by mid summer?

April 8, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

take the time to let it heal.

A girl I know through friends just recently pulled her calf muscle. Was told to stay off of it for a recommended time frame. She thought things were healing and tried to return to exercise and felt pain in the calf. Went back to rest for a bit and tried it again….same thing. Anyhow, she went back to rest and ended up feeling pretty crappy. Turns out blood clots ended up in her lungs…not good. She is now on blood thinners and can't do any impact exercises for the next six months.

I'd say, make sure that thing is fully healed before you do anything.

April 8, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

rest lots of ice and heat and get rehab and stick with it and follow the docs orders

i blew my ankle 20+ yrs back and didn,t rehab it properly or rest it long enough and too this day it gives me grieve and discomfort

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 9, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

take the time to let it heal.

A girl I know through friends just recently pulled her calf muscle. Was told to stay off of it for a recommended time frame. She thought things were healing and tried to return to exercise and felt pain in the calf. Went back to rest for a bit and tried it again….same thing. Anyhow, she went back to rest and ended up feeling pretty crappy. Turns out blood clots ended up in her lungs…not good. She is now on blood thinners and can't do any impact exercises for the next six months.

I'd say, make sure that thing is fully healed before you do anything.

Pulled calf and blood clots seems unlikely. As I recall from reading up on DVT and such seems to be caused by sitting to much and allowing the blood to pool or Clump in the lower legs. My wife had the same issue 7 years ago due to sitting around to much post having Gabi.

Rest and ice. Still move around a bit at a walk. And elevate the legs to help with blood flow.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 9, 2014, 8:26 a.m.

rest lots of ice ~~and heat~~ and get rehab and stick with it and follow the docs orders

i blew my ankle 20+ yrs back and didn,t rehab it properly or rest it long enough and too this day it gives me grieve and discomfort

Please do not use any heat on that. Heat will only let the strain increase, since with heat the muscles relax and the strain tends to increase. Ice, rest, compression, rehab.

Edit: anyone knows how to use strike-through? I thought it was ~~ or [strike], but none seem to work~~

April 9, 2014, 8:36 a.m.

Pulled calf and blood clots seems unlikely. As I recall from reading up on DVT and such seems to be caused by sitting to much and allowing the blood to pool or Clump in the lower legs. My wife had the same issue 7 years ago due to sitting around to much post having Gabi.

Rest and ice. Still move around a bit at a walk. And elevate the legs to help with blood flow.

ok doc…..while I myself am not a doc, google was kind enough to bring up these two examples and I'm sure there is a ton of others. The reality is the girl in my example above is suffering from blood clots and is a highly active person. She now has to be pretty damn careful that a pulled/torn calf injury doesn't cause her way more serious issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2232032/Deep-vein-thrombosis-Tearing-muscle-gym-gave-deadly-blood-clot.html

http://www.webmd.com/dvt/news/20080114/minor-leg-injuries-may-up-clot-risk

edit. In my original post, I did say pulled. I'm not actually sure as to what grade of strain she had on her muscle but my point remains the same. Be careful in your recovery

April 9, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

ok doc…..while I myself am not a doc, google was kind enough to bring up these two examples and I'm sure there is a ton of others. The reality is the girl in my example above is suffering from blood clots and is a highly active person. She now has to be pretty damn careful that a pulled/torn calf injury doesn't cause her way more serious issues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2232032/Deep-vein-thrombosis-Tearing-muscle-gym-gave-deadly-blood-clot.html

http://www.webmd.com/dvt/news/20080114/minor-leg-injuries-may-up-clot-risk

edit. In my original post, I did say pulled. I'm not actually sure as to what grade of strain she had on her muscle but my point remains the same. Be careful in your recovery

my manager at work is a very active rides several hundred KM a month on his road bike and is at the gym several days a week training as well .

he had knee surgery a yr back or so and a few months later his knee swelled as he started training again . long story short just before x-mas last yr he was in the hospital and on thinners and his chest cavity is riddled with blood clots .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 9, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

The woman Bryan is referring to is a member here, I'll see if I she will comment on how wrong your are in your post

April 9, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

Please do not use any heat on that. Heat will only let the strain increase, since with heat the muscles relax and the strain tends to increase. Ice, rest, compression, rehab.

Edit: anyone knows how to use strike-through? I thought it was ~~ or [strike], but none seem to work~~

every form of rehab i have had done involved using both icing and heating as well as EMS , and ultrasound and laser depending on the location .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 9, 2014, 9:54 a.m.

sprinting in last hockey game of the season on the weekend, 100% max effort and felt a pop in my leg. searing pain, couldn't put weight on my leg for a bit. fubar'd
looks like this today. so riding bliss delayed. doc says it's a grade 2+ strain. lots of rehab to come.

my biggest fear is reinjury and not regaining full strength and more. don't want to have it happen again.

anyone out there had this kind of injury and any positive insights or inspiring stories of how you're better than ever and all that jazz? think i'll be doing grinding tech climbs by mid summer?

I know there is a lot of controversy about this, but do you do hamstring stretches? (Not for warm ups - which is what a lot of the controversy seems to be about), but in general to keep your hamstrings from getting too tight. Cycling (and especially climbing on a bike) has the tendency to give you super-tight hamstrings. I do hamstring stretches a few times a week at the gym, but you have to be careful because they can often strain the lower back too. A nice, easy one where you are fully supported is this one (of course you don't want to do it while injured) and it feels awesome.

April 9, 2014, 10:18 a.m.

I know there is a lot of controversy about this, but do you do hamstring stretches? (Not for warm ups - which is what a lot of the controversy seems to be about), but in general to keep your hamstrings from getting too tight. Cycling (and especially climbing on a bike) has the tendency to give you super-tight hamstrings. I do hamstring stretches a few times a week at the gym, but you have to be careful because they can often strain the lower back too. A nice, easy one where you are fully supported is this one (of course you don't want to do it while injured) and it feels awesome.

I've recently incorporated doing the stretch in that picture. It was suggested I get something to read and simply lie there for 15 to 20 minutes with a gentle stretch. It's really helped.

April 9, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

Cycling (and especially climbing on a bike) has the tendency to give you super-tight hamstrings.\

+1 million

I (try) to do hamstring stretches daily.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 9, 2014, 11:54 a.m.

The woman Bryan is referring to is a member here, I'll see if I she will comment on how wrong your are in your post

so that would be me that Dave [HTML_REMOVED] Bryan are referring to.

I tore my calf muscles [HTML_REMOVED] separated them as well in January. I had the calf ultrasounded [HTML_REMOVED] there was a large blood/fluid pocket between the muscles. I did physio with ultrasound, TMS, etc and the muscles seemed to be healing well - pain was resolving and I was able to start to run a little bit again [HTML_REMOVED] got back to the gym.

Then about 6 weeks later I started to have this intense pain in my chest. Of course being a medical professional myself I ignored it. Finally I saw my Dr, had chest x-rays and 3 hours later I was admitting myself to the ER for a CT scan to confirm multiple pulmonary embolisms. I then had a re-ultrasound of my leg which showed massive clot burden in my femoral vein. MASSIVE.

I spent 3 lovely nights in Eagle Ridge Hospital. I endured a week of heparin injections [HTML_REMOVED] am now on oral warfarin [HTML_REMOVED] looking at at least 6 months of treatment.

We're not sure if there are underlying genetic factors, but right now it was a "perfect storm" to create this problem: huge blood pocket, some medications that increase the risk of blood clots, and a flight to [HTML_REMOVED] from Vegas probably didn't help either. But it was a week after the flight home that the pain started, so it might not have been the main factor.

So to say that it's unlikely that calf tears can cause DVT/PE isn't exactly true, but usually there are other complicating factors, which when combined with the injury, can certainly cause this to happen.

April 9, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

Not wrong. Just missing facts also called made an assumption.

But thank you for telling me that what my wife learned is wrong. Have a nice day.:)

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 9, 2014, 12:07 p.m.

some medications that increase the risk of blood clots,

Same thing my wife went through 7 years ago. Meds they used for the C Section apparently increase the chances of a blood clot. Fun times.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk