Getting out of a rut....

Nov. 29, 2020, 7:48 a.m.

Now...with almost 5.5k on the clock, and an almost daily practise of martial arts related practise and movement drills, I am now sort of in a hole, a rut ... stuck. 

I have a hard time motivating myself for even a short mtb ride, and serious difficulties for dragging myself to my barbell or my kettlebells. 

What are your secret recipes or routines to get back on track? Do you have any?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 29, 2020, 10:16 a.m.

I've been there.  Finally getting back in the groove after a few years off.

Unfortunately I don't have any wise words to fix it, other than a, "It fucking sucks and it came out of nowhere."

Nov. 29, 2020, 1:05 p.m.

Do things differently or try a different activity for a little while. I think everyone goes through it at one time or another, it’s just part of life. If you’re forcing yourself to do something it could be time for a break. Or maybe it’s time for some new people in your circle?  Riding/training with new people, especially beginners when you’re teaching or helping them out, can help renew the stoke.

Nov. 29, 2020, 1:11 p.m.

Just do what I did and get way too angry about it and quit for 4 years. ez.

Dec. 1, 2020, 3:15 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Do things differently or try a different activity for a little while. I think everyone goes through it at one time or another, it’s just part of life. If you’re forcing yourself to do something it could be time for a break. Or maybe it’s time for some new people in your circle?  Riding/training with new people, especially beginners when you’re teaching or helping them out, can help renew the stoke.

That is some great and solid advice, thanks Syncro.

Training or even riding with new people is currently not really possible, the gyms are all closed because of Covid, same goes for cinemas, restaurants and pubs.

I guess I start to paint and draw a bit more this winter, and reduce the number of commutes and trail rides to a bare minimum. There are some features I have always wanted to build as well. Guess if not now....

Dec. 1, 2020, 3:16 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Just do what I did and get way too angry about it and quit for 4 years. ez.

I am just angry at all the newbz in bikeparks and on the local trails who probably grew up in a cave. No decency and proper behaviour. Money can buy an awesome plastic bike and the kit, but does not guarantee the necessary skills or attitude.

Last edited by: Mic on Dec. 1, 2020, 3:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2020, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Training or even riding with new people is currently not really possible, the gyms are all closed because of Covid, same goes for cinemas, restaurants and pubs.

I guess I start to paint and draw a bit more this winter, and reduce the number of commutes and trail rides to a bare minimum. There are some features I have always wanted to build as well. Guess if not now....

There is nothing more addictive in this world than the desire to finish up a trail feature you're working on. 

That and the motivational fear of a looming race date.

Dec. 1, 2020, 7:35 p.m.

The short days don't help. Go to work in the dark, come home in the dark. Instead of vegging out watching the telly, I have been stretching, doing a few sit ups & push ups. It's not much, but every bit helps.

Dec. 1, 2020, 7:46 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I signed up for the Merritt Crown* for just this reason. It will keep me eating well and exercising through winter. 

* short course - I'm not into the type of self flagellation required for the long one.

Dec. 3, 2020, 2:35 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: Mic

There is nothing more addictive in this world than the desire to finish up a trail feature you're working on. 

Weather depending I am going to continue work on a one-hit wonder rock drop I have been eyeing up for quite some time, and taking my little kid who is turning 10 next week, with me. He is curious about everything bikes and wants to build stuff himself.

Dec. 15, 2020, 12:25 a.m.

Now....two things.

First, we did not finish the rock drop because while collecting rocks for the landing and take-off we realized that the landing and run out is so steep that I need to build a berm to slow down. 

Second, I have not drunk any alcohol since the end of November, my sleep has improved and my mood as well, too many beers in 2020.