Fitness Tracking - Excel

June 2, 2015, 8:06 a.m.

Morning fitness wienies - can anyone recommend a fitness tracking excel sheet - pre formatted?

I'm hoping to track my "movement" (al la Will Gadd). Check out this blog post if you haven't:

http://willgadd.com/ten-training-tips-for-lifelong-athletes/

Inspiring for every old fart out there…

I'm looking for something that isn't sport specific. I swim (5-6000/wk), run (30k/wk), ride (2-3 rides/wk), kite (2-3 sessions wk), yoga (5-6 days wk) and climb with my kids. When fall rolls around I usually spend at least one day a week and every long weekend moving in the mountains for 8-10 hrs (chasing Blacktails).

My goal is to move for at least 300 days this year.

June 2, 2015, 8:33 a.m.

Are you simply looking to track the # of days that you exercise? If so, then wouldn't a simple calendar suffice? or are you wanting to monitor/measure a specific metric? Time? calories? km's logged? Figuring out what values you care about is going to determine what your excel looks like (here are some examples: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-excel-templates-track-health-fitness/)

There are also plenty of free apps that will log a variety of metric and they all spit the data out into Excel for you.

Goin' Down?

June 2, 2015, 8:52 a.m.

I'm looking for something that isn't sport specific. I swim (5-6000/wk), run (30k/wk), ride (2-3 rides/wk), kite (2-3 sessions wk), yoga (5-6 days wk) and climb with my kids. When fall rolls around I usually spend at least one day a week and every long weekend moving in the mountains for 8-10 hrs (chasing Blacktails).

Holy shit, would you even have time to open Excel?

June 2, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

Well that's enough activities for a couple of days to start the week, but after Monday and Tuesday what then???

Seriously, if that is your weekly routine (and with kids), you likely do more in a week than most active people do in a month.

Good on ya!!!

June 2, 2015, 11:31 a.m.

Thanks guys - it's pretty active but I double up when I can - I swim when my kids (8/10) are in the pool training for swim team (I have a competitive swimming background swimming is auto pilot).

I get up at 5:30-6:00 most days and run (2-3X)/yoga. Yoga happens just about every morning. Kiting/bike rides are after work - usually end of the week and weekends. Kids and wife come first - once their happy - I usually get a play ticket.

Most weekend stuff falls off pretty hard during hunting season.

Purecanadianhoney - Metrics I would like to track right now are distances, times, weather, my resting heart rate and what zone I was working out in. I don't know very much about zone training but hanging out with tri guys who are way fitter than I am - they seem to jabber on about at length.

So I'm motivated to learn about zone training so I don't plateau or injure myself.

There's a bottomless pit of excel tracking systems out there - I'm hoping for a first hand experience or recommendation. Something the tri community uses might be handy.

June 2, 2015, 3 p.m.

check out Movescount.com.

The program is cloud based and run by Suunto and is flexible enough to use other HR monitors (if you use one).

You can transfer the data to excel but you may not need to when you use this.

Not a perfect solution but a decent option. The app will provide some additional capability you may find useful.

June 2, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

That's it - thanks Blackbird - just signed up.