eating to gain mass

March 25, 2014, 3:48 p.m.

thanks for everyones replies. After doing more research online, as well as studying my diet I realized I'm already eating a fairly balanced high calorie/high protein diet which should meet and exceed all the requirements needed to build muscle as I work out.

Some advice from Syncro and other online research really tells me I need to focus on building a more focused training schedule and targeting a few areas I have been neglecting (mostly pullups/chinups and horizontal pulls - pull type exercises in general). Also alot of great pointers for increasing the difficulties of calisthenics can be found online so rather than doing 7 sets of 12-15 regular pushups, I think I'd be better served working at lowering those reps by doing decline and uneven pushups etc.

if nothing else this thread really made me dive into alot of online research and realize where I was coming up short.

March 25, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

alot of these body weight movements are movements that in the past where typically a sport specific routine , gymnasts , circus performers , martial arts artists etc. as of late people have taken them and used them for exercise routines by adapting them to equipment commonly found in gyms and recenters and parks .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 26, 2014, 8:40 p.m.

thanks for everyones replies. After doing more research online, as well as studying my diet I realized I'm already eating a fairly balanced high calorie/high protein diet which should meet and exceed all the requirements needed to build muscle as I work out.

Some advice from Syncro and other online research really tells me I need to focus on building a more focused training schedule and targeting a few areas I have been neglecting (mostly pullups/chinups and horizontal pulls - pull type exercises in general). Also alot of great pointers for increasing the difficulties of calisthenics can be found online so rather than doing 7 sets of 12-15 regular pushups, I think I'd be better served working at lowering those reps by doing decline and uneven pushups etc.

if nothing else this thread really made me dive into alot of online research and realize where I was coming up short.

Before doing any variation of pushups or chins, your better learning the regular way first. And that will mean being able to bang out a heap of reps. They should be done to failure, dont worry about a certain number of sets and reps just do as many as you can each set. Then you can get into weird harder exercises.

The guys that are amazing at calisthenics smash out thousands of reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPsvF3UOdo

diggin

March 26, 2014, 10:26 p.m.

His moves at 1:37 look super cool.

March 26, 2014, 10:49 p.m.

His moves at 1:37 look super cool.

dude is very impressive , his dips with some serious weight , and his mime moves on the chin-up bar are crazy

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 27, 2014, 9:02 a.m.

Before doing any variation of pushups or chins, your better learning the regular way first. And that will mean being able to bang out a heap of reps. They should be done to failure, dont worry about a certain number of sets and reps just do as many as you can each set. Then you can get into weird harder exercises.

The guys that are amazing at calisthenics smash out thousands of reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPsvF3UOdo

high reps are definitely one opinion I read alot about in calisthenics, but most weight training for strength is based around 5-7 reps - what to do?.

Since I'm too foolish to follow a good workout routine I started doing 30 regular pushups followed by 4 sets of 12 decline pushups with a 5th set to failure. When those become easier I will try moving to 50 regular pushups followed by sets of 30 decline pushups and try to work one armed pushups into the mix. Who knows how that's going to work out :dizzy:

March 27, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

If you're determined to stick with bodyweight work, these are all pretty awesome.

http://www.norcalcrossfit.com/hotel-wods

(AMRAP means 'as many rounds as possible')

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 27, 2014, 12:35 p.m.

high reps are definitely one opinion I read alot about in calisthenics, but most weight training for strength is based around 5-7 reps - what to do?.

Since I'm too foolish to follow a good workout routine I started doing 30 regular pushups followed by 4 sets of 12 decline pushups with a 5th set to failure. When those become easier I will try moving to 50 regular pushups followed by sets of 30 decline pushups and try to work one armed pushups into the mix. Who knows how that's going to work out :dizzy:

I think those guys generally recommend "time under tension" to build muscle mass and strength, ie doing stuff slowly to keep your muscles under tension, as opposed to rapid-firing off tons of quick reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U34_O2GQRes

March 27, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

I think those guys generally recommend "time under tension" to build muscle mass and strength, ie doing stuff slowly to keep your muscles under tension, as opposed to rapid-firing off tons of quick reps.

yeah the tut idea is valid, but i'd highly advise against only training that way - you're training yourself to be slow. variety.

most ofthat guy's stuff is pretty good, but on one of his deadlifts vids i some issues with a few of his points.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 27, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

Like Mark said it makes sense to do a variety of speeds in exercises - I certainly can't do 30 pushups at breakneck speeds without my elbow and shoulder joints starting to feel like an arthritic 90 year old, so I don't. I've been trying for anywhere between 1-2 seconds down, 1 second up..sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

In any case I'm happy because whatever I'm doing, seems to be working. I doubt I'm going to ever get huge (not that I want to be), nor am I going to ever be absolutely ripped (I drink way, way too much beer for that). It's easy to see my strength increasing though by simply gauging where I was with the exercises I've been doing even a few weeks ago. Strength gains and a bit of mass is enough to keep me on track, so far so good :)

March 27, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

yeah the tut idea is valid, but i'd highly advise against only training that way - you're training yourself to be slow. variety.

most ofthat guy's stuff is pretty good, but on one of his deadlifts vids i some issues with a few of his points.

I agree … and doing nothing but high-intensity calisthenics for years and years probably isn't that great for you either. The important thing, I think, is mastering perfect form/technique. Once you do that, you can do it quickly (for power and endurance) or slowly (for strength and stability) and probably a mix of both to keep yourself healthy, interested and injury free.

March 27, 2014, 8:08 p.m.

In any case I'm happy because whatever I'm doing, seems to be working. I doubt I'm going to ever get huge (not that I want to be), nor am I going to ever be absolutely ripped (I drink way, way too much beer for that).

aha!

cut out beer for two months - or at least take it down to a max of 6 per week with no more than 3 on any one day. replace the alcahol calories with food calories and see what happens.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 27, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

aha!

cut out beer for two months - or at least take it down to a max of 6 per week with no more than 3 on any one day. replace the alcahol calories with food calories and see what happens.

Hey hey hold up bud, now ya takin it to far. Cut down on the beers…lunacy.

diggin

March 27, 2014, 10:56 p.m.

Hey hey hold up bud, now ya takin it to far. Cut down on the beers…lunacy.

hahaha - i was waiting for that from someone, surprised it took so long.

it's actually my fist response when 20-30 yr old guys ask me for tips on losing those last few lbs around the middle. i look them straigth in the face and say stop drinking beer. the sad look i get are comical.

Ellen Langer

March 28, 2014, 5:54 a.m.

pop , energy drinks , fancy coffee and the likes all add pounds as well

#northsidetrailbuilders