Fuck I'm getting old.

I stretch after my ride.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Sept. 28, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

Stretching cold muscles and ligaments is not the really that good for you

Sept. 28, 2015, 1:53 p.m.

Stretching cold muscles and ligaments is not the really that good for you

X2 warm up first then stretch.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Sept. 28, 2015, 2:54 p.m.

X2 warm up first then stretch.

This is a good idea. Most of my rides start with a long climb so I think I will stretch at the top or part way up (once I'm warmed up and the limbs are lubricated.)

I probably need to do some strenght training on my joints and core too. I'm a bloody mess right now and my crashes haven't been that bad…but the way I'm reacting to them is pitiful.

Mind you I am 87 years old.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 28, 2015, 7:41 p.m.

since busting up my ribs i have been lazy and not doing anything , but typically i stretch several times a week regardless of if i have done a ride . i find 20 to 25min of stretching and core exercises help alot with recovery on and off the bike .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 28, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

Just stretch your anels and you will be fine.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 29, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

I often do not do any warm-up and I pay for it. I'm a desk jockey, so on weeknight rides I tend to have been sitting at my desk for 9 hours, then get in the car for 30 minutes then sit on my bike and immediately pedal up Mtn Highway/Seymour. My lower back will often get angry after 30 minutes and I end up sucking wind much sooner than I should. I need to start forcing myself to do the warm-up before driving over to the shore.

If I'm staying near where I'm riding (e.g. Whistler this past weekend), I'll bring my travel roller (PVC pipe with a yoga mat glued to it) and roll out my legs/upper back for 5 minutes and do some dynamic warm-up exercises including leg swings, inch worms, warrior pose, shoulder swings. I find doing this stuff prevents fatigue on big park days, same for skiing, problem is I rarely do it on day trips since it's hard to do in a parking lot.

Jan. 9, 2016, 10:34 p.m.

ride from the house to the third switchback have a stretch enjoy the view have a snack then carry on.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Jan. 12, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

best to either do a dynamic stretch (like this kinda stuff http://strengthrunning.com/2011/07/the-standard-warm-up-video-demonstration/)
or just start slow for the first 10min while your muscles warm up.
stretching cold muscles can do damage at worst or decrease the explosive power of your muscles.
best to keep the static stretching til after

Jan. 18, 2016, 5:34 p.m.

When my back tightens up which is usually around St. Georges on Fromme, I get off and walk for 2 minutes. The upright position Seems to stretch everything out and I can ride right away without any further issues.

Otherwise stretching after is best if at all. Roller, stick and tennis ball help a lot post ride…..if used one at a time.

Feb. 18, 2016, 3:32 a.m.

Little warm up exercises and stretching is a good idea. And stretching after rides would be good too.

web experts

Feb. 18, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

best to either do a dynamic stretch (like this kinda stuff http://strengthrunning.com/2011/07/the-standard-warm-up-video-demonstration/)
or just start slow for the first 10min while your muscles warm up.
stretching cold muscles can do damage at worst or decrease the explosive power of your muscles.
best to keep the static stretching til after

^ This^

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Feb. 18, 2016, 4:54 p.m.

When my back tightens up which is usually around St. Georges on Fromme, I get off and walk for 2 minutes. The upright position Seems to stretch everything out and I can ride right away without any further issues.

Otherwise stretching after is best if at all. Roller, stick and tennis ball help a lot post ride…..if used one at a time.

if you're tightening up mid ride then that's a sign of an inadequate warm-up. the difficulty with fromme is that you start off on the steeps where ideally you's want to do some easy pedaling on flat ground first and then some some mobility and stretching exercise before heading up the hill. realistically this only adds about 10-12 minutes to the ride but when you're chomping at the bit to get going that extra 10 minutes or so can seem like an eternity.

meloroast's link is good too, but i would caution as handing that out as blanket advice as depending on one's level of mobility some of those movement may be more than the individual is capable of. always use a routine that works for one's own personal level of fitness.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer