DIY Gear......gym rings?

July 8, 2014, 3:31 p.m.

I like the idea of not necessarily buying gear to be able to do certain exercises. An example is properly tying and securing light dumbbells to kettlebells so a person does not have to buy a heavier kettlebell.

I am currently using straps that can be used for securing loads in truck beds as a cheaper alternative for TRX and the like. The problem are the loops I tied at the end, I put some dense foam and duct tape around them, and they are holding up, but not as secure as I'd like it.

And I do not want to spend money on rings if there is a more inexpensive alternative.

Does anybody have an idea?

I thought about sawing off parts of an old bike handlebar and secure these on the straps, no rings but definitely better than nothing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Maybe the thread could be used to share your own inventions or substiutions/alternatives.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 8, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

I like the idea of not necessarily buying gear to be able to do certain exercises. An example is properly tying and securing light dumbbells to kettlebells so a person does not have to buy a heavier kettlebell.

I am currently using straps that can be used for securing loads in truck beds as a cheaper alternative for TRX and the like. The problem are the loops I tied at the end, I put some dense foam and duct tape around them, and they are holding up, but not as secure as I'd like it.

And I do not want to spend money on rings if there is a more inexpensive alternative.

Does anybody have an idea?

I thought about sawing off parts of an old bike handlebar and secure these on the straps, no rings but definitely better than nothing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Maybe the thread could be used to share your own inventions or substiutions/alternatives.

Trainer I know uses various bits of climbing slings and flat tape webbing to get various devices. Uses binders as well…just don't use the accessory type unless you like nasty surprises.

http://www.mec.ca/shop/climbing-slings-and-webbing/50001+50282/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 8, 2014, 7:37 p.m.

Build a frame under the pretext as a swingset for your kid/s (past, present or future) and hang gymnstic rings from it.

What could be more hardcore than doing crucifix exercises in the rain or a snowstorm!

http://goldmedalbodies.com/hanging-gymnastic-rings/

July 9, 2014, 5:49 a.m.

Soo…I tried all morning to modify my flat tape webbing straps with small pipes - until now, to no avail.

Problem is that the end of the pipes will continually put a strain on the straps, and I am scared of them simply ripping apart under load. And I am not in for that surprise.

I am not done yet….but I think that it might be a good idea to eventually buy rings…

Oh, and Duncan - we have a frame in the garden, along with two swings already. And two frames along with bars for gymnastics stuff - problem with them….too small, as in, built for pre-schoolers. My son loves them.

Me, I could only use them for inverted rows.

I have a garage/shed with a pitched roof and lots of rafters and beams. So, for me no reason to build a bigger frame in the garden. The garage is my home gym and it totally rocks.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 9, 2014, 9:25 a.m.

You could use flexible plastic tube to spread the load, or take a longer piece of thin wall pipe, bend as much as possible then cut short handle sections,,, or just use the webbing on pipe until it starts to cut, climbing webbing is pretty strong stuff..

Common man be creative, make Red and Green proud..!

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

July 10, 2014, 1:53 p.m.

I have a bunch of bookmarks somewhere about diy rings…never got around to it(ha)…but this reminds me. Doing asap. Still have drift trikes to make tho:P

Quick note form…(if I recall correct)

lengths of pvc…1.25 - 1.5" dia …24-28" longish
cap with tape
fill tight with fine sand..cap again
preheat oven to 350
bake one at a time for ~10min on a sheet lined with tinfoil
use gloves and slowly form the pipe around something round and solidish(you can free form it too)…gal paint can etc
dump sand, string a sturdy rope/strap thru it, wrap ring with grip tape or something…hang SECURELY

July 10, 2014, 1:59 p.m.

…and the baller way is to glue two squares of quality plywood together(to get the desired thickness)…router out the rings…sand to finish…
Jig saw and a shit ton of sanding if that's all you have but really want wood rings