deadlifts...losing grip

March 11, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

i am this point with deadlifts where the weight is limited by my grip. i try to do 4x10 but by the 4th set, it is down to say 6 due me just not being able to hold on to the bar

i've searched around and there seems to be different holding techniques (like more on your fingers than palm), and it isn't really helping

any suggestions? or is it pretty much that my grip will improve over time as i do the deadlifts, and just be patient? are straps not really the solution?

March 11, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

Chalk?

March 11, 2015, 11 a.m.

is it that easy? lol, this is a stupid question, but is chalk just regular chalk? i guess i'm a n00b, i actually haven't seen people use it or ever been to a place that sells it. i'll look into it, thanks

March 11, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

Go to MEC or other outdoor sports stores and look in the climbing section for chalk

March 11, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

Have you not tried straps yet? Deadlifts will eventually get to the point you're at for everyone. You're asking your forearms to hold the same weight you're lifting with your lower back, hips, legs etc.

March 11, 2015, 1:30 p.m.

i am this point with deadlifts where the weight is limited by my grip. i try to do 4x10 but by the 4th set, it is down to say 6 due me just not being able to hold on to the bar

i've searched around and there seems to be different holding techniques (like more on your fingers than palm), and it isn't really helping

any suggestions? or is it pretty much that my grip will improve over time as i do the deadlifts, and just be patient? are straps not really the solution?

Some gyms frown on the use of chalk. You can get liquid chalk at MEC or a supplement store (leaves way less of a mess if any). I use it when I'm at 90%+ of my max.

Grip strength is a very good thing to have and I suggest you don't use wrist straps to make up for you lack of strength there.

When I'm training deadlifts I use an overhand grip until I can't, then I switch to an alternating grip (and I alternate between each hand as there is an imbalance there). The other alternative is a hook-grip in which you trap your thumb in between the bar and your fingers. That is pretty hard core and hurts like hell until you get used to it.

Incorporating grip strengthening exercises into your program is as easy as piss.

On your last rep of your last set or two of deadlifting, hold onto the bar for as long as you can.
When doing curls, open your palm at the bottom, then close it again before going up
Farmer Walks (this one everyone should do for a bunch of reasons) - grab heavy dumbells and walk for as long as you can
Plate/DB pinches - grab two plates for each hand and go for a walk, or grab the end of a dumbbell with your fingers (like you're catching a ball) and go for a walk
Heavy dumbbell rows - do 5 sets of 5 for a while with the heaviest dumbbell you can deal with

Grip strength is really easy to get up to speed.

PS: How's your form on your 10th rep? I'm not a big fan of high repping deadlifts as you don't want to fuck around with fatigue. Ever try upping the weight and targeting 5-8 instead?

March 11, 2015, 1:56 p.m.

PS: How's your form on your 10th rep? I'm not a big fan of high repping deadlifts as you don't want to fuck around with fatigue. Ever try upping the weight and targeting 5-8 instead?

i'll digest the rest later, thanks for the reply. but for up above, it is really that i was shown 4x10 for all my exercises way back in high school and haven't really changed the pattern since then…i don't want mass, it's more about strength, so i might have to revisit this. but my form feels fine, i think really because i can easily handle the weight i am doing, my grip seems to be the limiting factor. but i think for deadlifts, yeah, i might try lower reps and higher weight and see how I feel

March 11, 2015, 2 p.m.

i'll digest the rest later, thanks for the reply. but for up above, it is really that i was shown 4x10 for all my exercises way back in high school and haven't really changed the pattern since then…i don't want mass, it's more about strength, so i might have to revisit this. but my form feels fine, i think really because i can easily handle the weight i am doing, my grip seems to be the limiting factor. but i think for deadlifts, yeah, i might try lower reps and higher weight and see how I feel

Actually, the higher reps build mass, the lower reps build strength. The super high reps will build endurance.

March 11, 2015, 2:28 p.m.

yeah, it's been awhile with all this…high school was about mass, i don't want that in my 40s

March 11, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

yeah, it's been awhile with all this…high school was about mass, i don't want that in my 40s

While you can gain mass in your 40's, I'd say it's as easy as understanding Quantum Chromdynamics. Both would require a significant change in your life to reach either goal for those of us further along in life.

That, or you genetically lack the ability to produce myostatin or are falling on needles of testosterone or HGH.

That said, look into 5x5 training programs. I'd consider it the best intro to strength training there is, and it gives you the time to focus on grooving your form for the bigger lifts (squat, deadlift, benchpress).

March 11, 2015, 3:34 p.m.

thanks, i'm going to do that. i read your thread about your experience with strength training a little awhile ago. i really only do deadlifts, squats, benchpress, bent-over back rows. i'll read up on all this stuff hopefully figure out some sort of plan

March 11, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

Some gyms frown on the use of chalk. You can get liquid chalk at MEC or a supplement store (leaves way less of a mess if any). I use it when I'm at 90%+ of my max.

A lot of that is because some think that dumping piles of chalk around their lifting area is cool.

Some climbing gyms only allow users to chalk bags which allow you to chalk up. But doesn't leave a trail of powder every where. See all the heavy lifters at the base gym use that. And leaves minimal mess.

http://www.mec.ca/shop/chalk/50269/?h=10+50019+50267

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 11, 2015, 5:07 p.m.

Alternating hook grip for this guy. I use it on deadlifts until I can't, then straps. I'm in a similar boat for exercises, I basically do snatches, clean [HTML_REMOVED] jerks, squats, bench press, bent over rows, and romanian deadlifts.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 11, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

Alternating hook grip for this guy. I use it on deadlifts until I can't, then straps. I'm in a similar boat for exercises, I basically do snatches, clean [HTML_REMOVED] jerks, squats, bench press, bent over rows, and romanian deadlifts.

if you're using alternate grip and chalk you should be ok without using the hook grip. the one drawback to alternate grip tho is an increased risk of a biceps tear on the underhand grip. this is where hook grip is valuable, it's lets you go double overhand and maintain a solid grip on the bar. i'm starting to use hook grip after years of alternate and it's taking some getting used to.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 11, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

I don't use chalk. Hook grip is important for oly lifting and since my focus is on that lately, it's an easy way for me to train for it. If I can pull off a hook grip on a 360lb deadlift with no straps, I'm ok for snatching with it at 160lbs.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.