Crazy or not, I think this guy is onto something.

March 2, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

Maybe he's taking it to the extreme, but I think his ideas are sound. I think of all the old people I know, the ones that refuse to stop playing are the fittest and possibly the healthiest ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUf72dLf22c

March 2, 2014, 5:28 p.m.

Not Crazy at all.

Lots of research here at the UBC brain center for health regarding enhancing the plasticity of the brain.

Studies showing that exercise and keeping fit can not only stop the brain from aging but also shows that it can have an improvment in areas of the hippocampus and strengthing the neuron bonds to keep the brain healthy.

Here is Max the main man at our lab talking about this at TedX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chr3rQ6Vpcw

March 4, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

Thanks for posting this.

www.vitalmtb.com

March 5, 2014, 8:30 a.m.

Eccentric perhaps but not crazy, who is wrong buddy or the rest of NA who live the fucked up lifestyle ?

look how skinny that dude is and look around you at all the people who carry extra weight which is usually a result of lack of exercise [HTML_REMOVED] poor diet choices, when those folks get older they end up carrying more weight leading to heart trouble [HTML_REMOVED] type II diabetes … you don't have to kill it you just have to move and eat less

I do agree the more you play the better you are at acomplishing everyday tasks, I have always noticed when I drive home from a WW / biking/ skiing trip I handle the vehical better

March 5, 2014, 10:57 a.m.

His whole life my dad used to be physically active, either growing our veggies in a gaarden, taking care of his rabbits, working in a factory, taking long hikes in the forests and the like. He helped out at some farms he knew the owners of. He was quite quick-witted, and alert.

As soon as he stopped doing this because his long-time wife died, he fell into a Depression and stopped moving qround, he hiked less and less, and eventually succumbed to a home for the elderly People, where he was sort of contend sitting in a wheelchair the last 1 1/2 years of his life.

For me it was sad to see how less and less mobile he became, so I try to really be as mobile as possible and challenge my Body and my brain with ambidextrous work in the garden, certain movement Patterns and the like.

Our son, three years old, is quite well-balanced already, and being able to walk pretty far for his Age. He can climb, jump run and bear-crawl around the house and the garden, and me and my wife try to encourage him into a Lifestyle in which he sees physical movement and activity as something posive which helps him throughout his life.

In the end I think it all Comes down to the mindset a Person has and how this affects the Person. There is no mind-body dichotomy. And we as humans are born to move, be it run, swim, weight train - whatever a Person may choose.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 6, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPG94VMWPww

March 6, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

In the end I think it all Comes down to the mindset a Person has and how this affects the Person. There is no mind-body dichotomy. And we as humans are born to move, be it run, swim, weight train - whatever a Person may choose.

yup, it doesn't matter what one does, just do something and do it on a regualr basis.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 7, 2014, 3:58 a.m.

yup, it doesn't matter what one does, just do something and do it on a regualr basis.

Yes, and what I forgot was that a person should know what he is doing - I have met some who have practiced a sport of their choice and who have damaged joints and the like. I think that a lot of people underestimate the chance of doing harm. Even this nordic walking fad can turn into something dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Our human body is able to catch wrong training for some time, same holds true for nutrition, one day, though, the body is no longer able to do so and eventually it adds up.

To be able to "exercise" into old age takes brains and an open mind.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 7, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

Our human body is able to catch wrong training for some time, same holds true for nutrition, one day, though, the body is no longer able to do so and eventually it adds up.

To be able to "exercise" into old age takes brains and an open mind.

50 is when doc has the " we need to talk about your lifestyle " conversation but the reality is that its not easy to change a lifetime of bad habits while some do I bet most don't

and then how about people who want to keep doing it but plain wore body parts out, also what will the eventual effects of old injuries to folks who got hurt doing the more extreme aspects of sport such as DH mtb will be?

60 or even 70 can be the new 50, I also think good genes and maybe some good luck play a big part