Consuming soya based protein products makes you grow titties?

Sept. 23, 2014, 9:23 p.m.

…or should I be more concerned about the container it's in made with PETE plastics.

'cause I want protein after working out but working out kills my appetite.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 23, 2014, 9:42 p.m.

How much of it are you going to drink? Are you vegan/vegetarian?

Sept. 23, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

It definitely can be the case, I read in a book that men might only consume soy-based protein once a week. But I think it depends on the amount of it. It contains a hormone that can be linked to the female hormone estrogene (spelling?).

I observed it as well after a few weeks of regularly eating soy.

Have you thought about hemp protein powder? Supposed to be a good alternative, a few guys at work say it is pretty good, but tastes pretty "green", whatever that means.

There are a few alternatives to whey protein/milk based protein.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 24, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

I think the risks of phyto-estrogens is pretty low - you'd need to eat a ton of soy for it to make much of a difference. There's no reason to blindly switch all your products to soy-based ones when there are so many other good options (almond, hemp, flax, sprouted grains, legumes, etc). Soy is one of the most GMO/processed foods ever so in many cases is probably better avoided. There are plenty of ways to get protein without soy.

There are lots of hemp proteins that aren't so gritty. Vega's The One is a good one but it's expensive.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 25, 2014, 12:41 p.m.

:lol: If soy gave you larger boobs there would be a lot of plastic surgeons out of a job.

As already stated I too would be more worried about GMO. I am curious why soy as your protein source? Are you Vegan or Vegetarian? Even so in my opinion there are far better sources of protein out there than soy.

This chart is great and it should give you plenty of protein source ideas:

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Sept. 25, 2014, 1:10 p.m.

Soy contains phytoestrogens (literally "plant estrogens") that bear some structural similarity to that class of female sex hormones. However there seems to be scant evidence that they have a hormonal effect on humans. Studies so far show no hormonal effect on men either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogens#Effects_on_Humans

It contains a hormone that can be linked to the female hormone estrogene (spelling?). I observed it as well after a few weeks of regularly eating soy.

Like what? You started watching "Sex and the City"?

Sept. 25, 2014, 6:27 p.m.

How much of it are you going to drink?

Maybe one of these 3 times a week?

Are you vegan/vegetarian?

No but it's like 4hrs before I eat next.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 25, 2014, 7:13 p.m.

Maybe one of these 3 times a week?

Then I wouldn't worry about really anything other than what you probably care about already (ie: ingredients sourced from places other than China). That plus a handful of nuts should keep you full till next real meal.

Sept. 26, 2014, 5:40 a.m.

No but it's like 4hrs before I eat next.

Dude … Nesquick/Hershey's chocolate syrup + milk …. 1/10th the price too. And eat some real food (like nuts, as mentioned by Reductimat). Read the ingredients list if you want to get a second opinion.

Milk:

100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 60 kcal 250 kJ
Carbohydrates 5.2 g
Sugars 5.2 g
Lactose 5.2 g
Fat 3.25 g - saturated 1.9 g - monounsaturated 0.8 g - polyunsaturated 0.2 g
Protein 3.2 g
Water 88 g
Vitamin A equiv. 28 ?g 3%
Thiamin (Vit. B1) 0.04 mg 3%
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.18 mg 12%
Vitamin B12 0.44 ?g 18%
Vitamin D 40 IU 20%
Calcium 113 mg 11%
Magnesium 10 mg 3%
Potassium 143 mg 3%

Protein PLUS™ Chocolate:

"LOW-FAT MILK, FILTERED WATER, AGAVE NECTAR, CANE SUGAR, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, COCOA POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORS, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, ACACIA GUM, GELLAN GUM, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A (PALMITATE), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN MONONITRATE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN), VITAMIN B3 (NIACINAMIDE), VITAMIN B5 (CALCIUM PENTOTHENATE), VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HCL), VITAMIN B7 (BIOTIN), VITAMIN B9 (FOLIC ACID), VITAMIN B12 (CYANOCOBALAMIN), VITAMIN D3 (CHOLECALCIFEROL), VITAMIN E (D-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL), CALCIUM (TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE), PHOSPHORUS (TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE), MAGNESIUM (MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE), CHROMIUM (CHROMIUM CHLORIDE), IODINE (POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON (FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE), ZINC (ZINC OXIDE), COPPER (COPPER GLUCONATE)."

From wikipedia:

Cohort studies

In February 2009, a study conducted in 161,808 postmenopausal women from the Women's Health Initiative clinical trials concluded that after eight years of follow-up "multivitamin use has little or no influence on the risk of common cancers, cardiovascular disease, or total mortality".[24] Another 2010 study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology suggested that multivitamin use during chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer had no effect on the outcomes of treatment.[25] A very large prospective cohort study published in 2011, including more than 180,000 participants, found no significant association between multivitamin use and mortality from all causes. The study also found no impact of multivitamin use on the risk of cardiovascular disease or cancer.[26]

Meta-analyses

One major meta-analysis published in 2011, including previous cohort and case-control studies, concluded that multivitamin use was not significantly associated with the risk of breast cancer. It noted that one Swedish cohort study has indicated such an effect, but with all studies taken together, the association was not statistically significant.[23] A 2012 meta-analysis of ten randomized, placebo-controlled trials published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease found that a daily multivitamin may improve immediate recall memory, but did not affect any other measure of cognitive function.[27]

Another meta-analysis, published in 2013, found that multivitamin-multimineral treatment "has no effect on mortality risk."[28]

Expert bodies

A 2006 report by the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality concluded that "regular supplementation with a single nutrient or a mixture of nutrients for years has no significant benefits in the primary prevention of cancer, cardiovascular disease, cataract, age-related macular degeneration or cognitive decline."[4] However, the report noted that multivitamins have beneficial effects for certain sub-populations, such as people with poor nutritional status, that vitamin D and calcium can help prevent fractures in older people, and that zinc and antioxidants can help prevent age-related macular degeneration in high-risk individuals.[4]

The U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements, a branch of the National Institutes of Health, suggests that multivitamin supplements might be helpful for some people with specific health problems (for example, macular degeneration). However, the Office concluded that "most research shows that healthy people who take an MVM [multivitamin] do not have a lower chance of diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, or diabetes. Based on current research, it's not possible to recommend for or against the use of MVMs to stay healthier longer."[5]

The United Kingdom Food Standards Agency recommended in 2007 that pregnant women should take extra folic acid and iron and that older people might need extra vitamin D and iron.[29] However, these recommendations also advised that "Vitamin and mineral supplements are not a replacement for good eating habits."[29]

Sept. 26, 2014, 12:56 p.m.

Huh?
I. Don't. Drink. Milk.
I'm not trying to ward off cancer or supplement vitamins.
Chocolate flavouring is incidental.
I'm simply looking for a quick and easy liquid protein hit.
But, thanks.

Sept. 26, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

Huh?
I. Don't. Drink. Milk.
I'm not trying to ward off cancer or supplement vitamins.
Chocolate flavouring is incidental.
I'm simply looking for a quick and easy liquid protein hit.
But, thanks.

Post-workout you also need a big glucose hit to replenish the carbs. That's why chocolate milk is so good - you get some sugar, carbs and fat along with the protein. A lot of the new proteins dissolve really well in water so you don't even really need the soy milk.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 26, 2014, 1:29 p.m.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see any Asians growing big melons from their regular mapo tofu fix or soy milk consumption.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 26, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

really!?!? People are still buying the "chocolate milk is a good post workout recovery drink" look at the sugar content alone to shoot that one down.

Get a good quality post workout protein powder, a "blender bottle" and just add cold water or whatever else you want to mix it with… and you are good to go.

I like the taste of this one:

But there are plenty of good options out there.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Sept. 26, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

Huh?
I. Don't. Drink. Milk.

Ummm … milk is the first ingredient listed on the product you showed, which means it is the main ingredient (water is the second).

really!?!? People are still buying the "chocolate milk is a good post workout recovery drink" look at the sugar content alone to shoot that one down.

Depends on what you are working out for. If you are recovering from intensive aerobic exercise, sugar is good for replenishing your glycogen store. If you are doing strength training, you would want more protein to repair muscle.

Sept. 26, 2014, 7:43 p.m.

Depends on what you are working out for. If you are recovering from intensive aerobic exercise, sugar is good for replenishing your glycogen store. If you are doing strength training, you would want more protein to repair muscle.

In the mid to late 2000's, there was some research that showed ingesting glucose and protein after working out was a really good idea. It made little to no difference for me.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing