combining strength training with riding/training

Jan. 19, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

basically what enduramill says - to really answer your question we need more info re type of riding and intensity of your strength workouts.

the basic answer would be to ride/lift on alternate days, but what will matter the most is looking at the intensity and volume of your training. this means that either your strength days will be light and not really strength workouts but assistance workouts, or you will have to make two of your rides easy or recovery rides. the determining factor on how much you can do always comes down to the amount of recovery available between your workouts.

Also keep in mind that what one has to look at their total accumulated volume during their waking hours of physical activity. Everything we do from unloading the pickup truck of fire wood to shovelling out your drive way is physical activity. This on top of weight training sessions and bike works outs adds up . Even more so if you are doing every bike ride hard.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 19, 2014, 8:24 p.m.

The rides during the week are usually about an hour and if they are "regular" rides they are probably about a 7 out of 10 for intensity. If I am so inclined to do a trainer workout it is usually more intense. Rides on the weekend are longer, 2-3 hours.

I don't think my strength training is particularly intense.

During the day, I would say my activity level is moderate.

Mostly I just want to keep it simple.

Jan. 19, 2014, 8:29 p.m.

Try it. If you start to feel bad a lot, do less.

Jan. 19, 2014, 10:33 p.m.

The rides during the week are usually about an hour and if they are "regular" rides they are probably about a 7 out of 10 for intensity. If I am so inclined to do a trainer workout it is usually more intense. Rides on the weekend are longer, 2-3 hours.

I don't think my strength training is particularly intense.

During the day, I would say my activity level is moderate.

Mostly I just want to keep it simple.

General rule in endurance sport is do no more then 2 hard work outs per week. When I say hard I mean intervals and other high intensity stuff. And of course give a day of lighter stuff in between. So simple way would be…Tuesday say do the Tuesday night World's then Thursday do hill climbs. Anything more will wear you down.

And of course the usual Sunday long ride.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/