combining strength training with riding/training

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

If I am doing some simple strength training 3x per week (5x5 military press, squat, bench press, deadlift) and also riding or doing indoor trainer intervals a couple of times during the week (not counting just riding on the weekend) is it better to do the strength training and bike training on the same day and have a rest day in between or do them on alternating days? The strength training is just for general fitness.

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:19 a.m.

If I am doing some simple strength training 3x per week (5x5 military press, squat, bench press, deadlift) and also riding or doing indoor trainer intervals a couple of times during the week (not counting just riding on the weekend) is it better to do the strength training and bike training on the same day and have a rest day in between or do them on alternating days? The strength training is just for general fitness.

If time permits, I prefer to spread out exercises that target different areas (whether its legs, core, arms etc or endurance vs strength) on different days. By resting, you can focus the intensity/duration/stamina on the areas you are concentrating on.

What kind of riding do you do?

Strength training doesn't just have to be just for general fitness. It can and should (even more so if you throw in core strength) also enhance/complement your abilities bike, unless your goal is something completely different like "getting huge, bro".

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

If time permits, I prefer to spread out exercises that target different areas (whether its legs, core, arms etc or endurance vs strength) on different days. By resting, you can focus the intensity/duration/stamina on the areas you are concentrating on.

What kind of riding do you do?

Strength training doesn't just have to be just for general fitness. It can and should (even more so if you throw in core strength) also enhance/complement your abilities bike, unless your goal is something completely different like "getting huge, bro".

trail/xc racing

it is also to complement riding, but i meant to say that it isn't as part of race training or anything

Jan. 18, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

Is you're riding for fun? If so, and if fun to you isn't taking you to feeling like puking, you should be fine to mix the two.

Jan. 18, 2014, 11:09 a.m.

Not quite puking…but definitely heart about to burst through rib cage is what I consider fun

Jan. 18, 2014, 1:09 p.m.

You will be fine if your diet is appropriate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jan. 18, 2014, 3:01 p.m.

I try and do legs heavy on Monday or Tuesday so I'm not sapped for the weekend rides.

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:14 p.m.

At least one full recovery day a week is my approach. Currently 2 days at Marx Conditioning and 3-4 rides a week, so it works out.

flickr

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:18 p.m.

Read up on adrenal fatigue. I didn't know it existed until my hindsight smacked me upside the head and pointed it out.

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:35 p.m.

Should also add, expect that every fourth week your body will want a "rest" week, which doesn't need to be zero, but should be easier efforts than the 3 week build up.

flickr

Jan. 18, 2014, 7:07 p.m.

Should also add, expect that every fourth week your body will want a "rest" week, which doesn't need to be zero, but should be easier efforts than the 3 week build up.

And remember easy means easy on easy days.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 18, 2014, 7:09 p.m.

And remember: no pain, no gain.

flickr

Jan. 19, 2014, 6:55 a.m.

But if I am riding 4 days a week and doing strength 2-3 days a week…I dont have any easy days. Which is why I am wondering if it would be better to do them on the same day?

Jan. 19, 2014, 8:37 a.m.

But if I am riding 4 days a week and doing strength 2-3 days a week…I dont have any easy days. Which is why I am wondering if it would be better to do them on the same day?

Well, let's look at those rides. What are those rides? All hard and fast?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 19, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Well, let's look at those rides. What are those rides? All hard and fast?

basically what enduramill says - to really answer your question we need more info re type of riding and intensity of your strength workouts.

the basic answer would be to ride/lift on alternate days, but what will matter the most is looking at the intensity and volume of your training. this means that either your strength days will be light and not really strength workouts but assistance workouts, or you will have to make two of your rides easy or recovery rides. the determining factor on how much you can do always comes down to the amount of recovery available between your workouts.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer