chronic ankle injury - question for Syncro?

July 8, 2015, 10:39 p.m.

Dry needling is a mother-fucker.

Did you do any regular self myofascial release after the sessions? I think the needling is a super-shortcut to rolling but as you mention, it's only temporary. I really think if I want to get older and to be able to move properly I'll need to work on my trigger points for the rest of my life.

Small price to pay, really.

Not looking forward to the needles next week.

July 9, 2015, 11:32 a.m.

Not sure what that Myofas… stuff is?
Possibly I do though, my Physio girl is really awesome, does quite a bit of manipulation (15 or 20 mins) after the needles and then I get cold laser and / or the buzzing suction cup things for 10 mins
its quite a full meal deal, appts are usually 45 or 50 mins

i actually dont mind the needles, took some time to get used to the sensations at first, and to be sure, sometimes i feel like i've just ridden 30 kms after the appt but as you said, its a hell of a short cut to mobility, one appt can accomplish what 3 or 4 massage appts can do. Like massage, it is temporary and has to be accompanied by strength and flexibility exercise like the other guys are saying.

Works for me though, and I'm pretty busted up, so i do recommend it if asked.

July 9, 2015, 2:26 p.m.

IMS was awesome for my back and shoulders. Massage therapy and chiro didn't even touch it. IMS was like magic. Painful magic.

July 10, 2015, 5:02 p.m.

IMS was awesome for my back and shoulders. Massage therapy and chiro didn't even touch it. IMS was like magic. Painful magic.

Where did you get the IMS done?

July 11, 2015, 5:25 a.m.

Stephen Barclay at Expert Physio (located at 8 Rinks Bby).

July 11, 2015, 6:06 a.m.

Stephen Barclay at Expert Physio (located at 8 Rinks Bby).

Thanks.

Aug. 11, 2015, 8:58 p.m.

Thanks for input guys, I'll take all of that into account for this journey.

I guess what I'm hoping to do is have the ankle assessed by some sort of medical professional and have that individual say "Your ankle has x y and z fucked up - here's what I suggest you do to repair it."

I do want to go back to my chiro for sure, she worked magic - but I want to go back to her with a game plan. I'm pretty sure the active release technique will be part of my repair.

But where do I start? My personal doctor can't see past her prescription note pad, I guess I could go knock on doors in Whistler (haven't had much luck here in Squamish) and see if there are any sports clinics up there would have some advice.

See Dr.Peter Wing at St.Pauls hes head of their ankle clinic (it's the BC Ankle Clinic) he did an excellent job rebuilding my ankle when I tore the crap out of it.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Aug. 13, 2015, 8:06 p.m.

For everyone reading this thread, see if your health plan covers massage/chiro. Bare minimum I go once a month for a one hour massage, followed by a session with my chiro. If over had a couple rough days at work, or some hard training days I bump the appointments up. It's amazing how much pain you avoid of you can attack it right away.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Sept. 4, 2015, 12:02 a.m.

Hey Guys,

I went to a sports chiro who broke down a bunch of scar tissue (I cried, it was like she was taking her daddy issues out on my ankle) and improved my mobility by 80% - I could run again!

Wow that's the exact feeling I got with my physio therapist. She was so small, cute and nice, but when she was breaking up the scar tissue in my damaged finger all I could think was "Why do you hate me so much to put me through so much pain, what did I ever do to you?"

I'm the best at being modest !