Build me a workout plan

March 12, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

Hello fit NSMB'ers,

I've decided it's time to get back to working out, this time with the aim of actually working out not just aimlessly picking heavy things up and putting them down in the same place.

A bit about me: 6', 152lbs or so, student. I've never really been able to build up mass, and my friends like to say I'm farm-boy strong

Looking through the 30-day challenge thread and that 10000 swing kettlebell thing looks cool but a 24kg kettlebell is a little too much money for me to purchase myself. Can these be found at the north van rec centers? I've considered picking up a gym pass for there but if I can get away with using stuff at home (roommate has dumbbells ranging 5-30lbs and some plates) with minimal purchases, that would be cool

Any help is very much appreciated

March 12, 2014, 10:47 a.m.

I've decided it's time to get back to working out, this time with the aim of actually working out not just aimlessly picking heavy things up and putting them down in the same place.

That's not a goal. You need a goal.

Want to be strong? Want really big muscles? Want to be fast? Want to be able to travel long distances faster than walking? Want gym camaraderie while lifting barbells?

A) Powerlifting/Olympic lifting.
B) Bodybuiding.
C) Sprinting.
D) Jogging.
E) Crossfit.

Want to be lean? Want to be lean with more muscle mass? Want to be skinny-fat?

Diet.
Diet + A/B/E or C.
D.

March 12, 2014, 10:49 a.m.

I should add, none of the above are mutually exclusive, nor is it anywhere close to a complete list. Just decide what ratios of each you want and then plan accordingly.

March 12, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

just a quick bit of advice for now:

most people don't do well with a home based workout, reason being there are too many distractions around and you can always get to your workout later. and sometimes, later never comes.

the benefit of going to the gym is you're going there with a purpose.

and yes, having a defined goal realy helps. even if you don't have one and are just looking for general strength and fitness, decide how often, how long and how hard you want to or are willing to work out. i often find that people's exercise routines/schedules are defined by their day to day schedule.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 12, 2014, 11:56 a.m.

Hmm, not having a goal is probably why I wasn't making any progress. Kinda hard to make progress on nothing. I suppose I'd like to be lean first, with a lesser emphasis on gaining muscle mass.

As far as time goes, there's a small gym here at the BCIT marine campus but it's only open for 1.5 hours after class, which I find to be limiting at times.

Previously I was doing 30-40 minutes on a treadmill, and then spent time going through the motions on some machines and with the dumbbells

March 12, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

I suppose I'd like to be lean first, with a lesser emphasis on gaining muscle mass.

Don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you lean already? At 6 ft and 152 pounds I would have to assume you are slight.

I would focus on gaining muscle mass. This would make you look "leaner". You may be skinny and soft looking. Building up some muscle mass you likely get you the athletic look you are after.

March 12, 2014, 1:35 p.m.

Previously I was doing 30-40 minutes on a treadmill, and then spent time going through the motions on some machines and with the dumbbells

30-40 minutes on a treadmill is a great way of getting your body to use your muscle mass as a fuel source which is a great way to end up with a skinny-fat body type.

If you want to do steady-state cardio, do it after strength training and at a low intensity otherwise you are wasting a lot of time.

I'm with Legatt, it sounds like you really want more mass.

March 12, 2014, 2:43 p.m.

How old are you? If you are early twenties you might find that your body is not ready to put on mass easily. My body behaves quite differently at 37 than it did at 22

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 12, 2014, 3:35 p.m.

How old are you? If you are early twenties you might find that your body is not ready to put on mass easily. My body behaves quite differently at 37 than it did at 22

eventualy almost everyone puts on mass and will want to lose weight … its just a matter of time

March 12, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

That's not a goal. You need a goal.

Want to be strong? Want really big muscles? Want to be fast? Want to be able to travel long distances faster than walking? Want gym camaraderie while lifting barbells?

A) Powerlifting/Olympic lifting.
B) Bodybuiding.
C) Sprinting.
D) Jogging.
E) Crossfit.

Want to be lean? Want to be lean with more muscle mass? Want to be skinny-fat?

Diet.
Diet + A/B/E or C.
D.

As a doer of most of this stuff (well A,C,E anyway) who is also tall and lean I say focus on the power/strength work. That translates directly into bike goodness. The long slow cardio you get from jogging isn't much different from what you'd get on the bike and bodybuilding workouts place aesthetics and mass over function.

O-lifting, sprinting and CF build the kind of power and speed that are so useful when riding, but so hard to build on the bike. Plus these things are technique-based so you can make huge performance gains without gaining a lot of weight.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 12, 2014, 4:57 p.m.

make huge performance gains without gaining a lot of weight.

that is where my goals lie. Loosing some "bad" weight firstly, maintaining some muscle, and increasing strength/performance. Not so much in a competitive sense except for with my own plateaus.
So, is the regular xc ride and road ride negating/decreasing some muscle mass? i would forgo mass for strength in every case, but in the past, some increase in mass will produce some strength. Rehab and injury prevention are tops as well.

WTF, Over?

March 12, 2014, 5:37 p.m.

that is where my goals lie. Losing some "bad" weight firstly, maintaining some muscle, and increasing strength/performance. Not so much in a competitive sense except for with my own plateaus.
So, is the regular xc ride and road ride negating/decreasing some muscle mass? i would forgo mass for strength in every case, but in the past, some increase in mass will produce some strength. Rehab and injury prevention are tops as well.

Do you XC and road ride for fun? If so, supplement with energy bars/gels/drinks. I'm guessing that should help slow the catabolism (but do your own research, I've never looked into this). If it's solely for exercise, then drop it due to your current goals stated above.

The program I am on is all raw strength, as is Cressey's Show'n'Go. Both are pretty similar in nature. Cut back a bit on any crap you eat and the fat will come off. I'm drinking a little less beer, eating a little less chips and I'm losing fat.

As for rehab/injury prevention, Eric Cressey is god. Go to his site and read.

March 12, 2014, 7:35 p.m.

Do you XC and road ride for fun? If so, supplement with energy bars/gels/drinks. I'm guessing that should help slow the catabolism (but do your own research, I've never looked into this). If it's solely for exercise, then drop it due to your current goals stated above.

The program I am on is all raw strength, as is Cressey's Show'n'Go. Both are pretty similar in nature. Cut back a bit on any crap you eat and the fat will come off. I'm drinking a little less beer, eating a little less chips and I'm losing fat.

As for rehab/injury prevention, Eric Cressey is god. Go to his site and read.

Ya all for fun on the bike, but its not like i wouldn't like to improve a bunch.

I would not ride every day with out some variety and i still enjoy strength and circuit training. I guess a more accurate blend would be dirt biking; you need stamina and cardio but you need more strength than xc riding to pick up and manhandle the big machine. Some times its just to ride the moto and some times its when things go side ways and you need to pick the thing up or turn it around. I will check out the Eric Cressey info. Thanks. i kind of derailed the thread a bit sorry.

WTF, Over?

March 12, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

Train like this guy

March 12, 2014, 8:07 p.m.

Train like this guy

that's pretty much my diet plan, beef and cake.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer