Blender (for smoothies and the like)

April 20, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

costco at Wellingdon has some blendtecs at the moment. I've had both the blendtec and vitamix and they are equally awesome.

April 20, 2014, 11:40 p.m.

besides the vitamix, the other recommended blender, the breville hemisphere is on sale at the bay for $200

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/home/Blenders/hemisphere-control-blender-0128-brebbl605xl--24

Hmmm…kinda lookin myself…Mini^ at $120
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/Blenders/hemisphere-mini-blender-0128-brebbl420xl--24

April 21, 2014, 7:53 a.m.

Another vote for vitamix. I make smoothies with frozen bananas and make them really thick. I have had a number of blenders and hand blenders and have ruined them all. From burnt out motors, to bent blades and broken interfaces, they have all died in short order. I have a vitamix now that I've had for 7 years and it is killer. It blends stuff incredibly smoother than anything else and has outlasted everything by anything else I've tried from 4 to 20 times as long. I got mine on ebay. If money is tight, try finding a used one.

April 21, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

We toyed with the idea of buying a VitaMix or Blendtec but in the end couldn't justify $5-600 on a blender. We ended up getting a Ninja Ultima for ~$200. It's amazingly powerful, blends beets and frozen fruit very well and came with two single-serve containers with their own smaller blade.

April 22, 2014, 2:32 p.m.

http://www.breville.ca/the-control-grip-stick-mixer.html We've got one of these it is surprisingly effective, makes chunky smoothies and a slightly bitty nut puree, but takes up no counter space.

We will see have long it lasts!

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

April 22, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

Vitamix for $400. This is the one I have. It's been kicking ass for 7 years using it at least once a day to turn a litre of stuff including 3 frozen solid bananas, nuts, seeds, spinach, avocado etc into a smooth mixture that resembles icecream with no chunks or any discernible bits of anything.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Vitamix-1782-TurboBlend-2-Speed-Blender-FREE-Smothies-Book-Vitamixer-4500-/371041828374?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US[HTML_REMOVED]hash=item5663d0fe16

April 24, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

So a bit of a gear question.

I'm looking for a blender, mostly for smoothies and the like, and as much as I'd love to spend $300-$400, I'd rather keep it affordable.

like bikes or chainsaws, what do you plan on using it for? I mean if you're just throwing in some fruit/yogurt/ice then just about any blender will work. If you're trying to get more golf ball in your diet, clearly you'll need the Blendtec.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 24, 2014, 1:28 p.m.

Whaddya guys blend into your smoothies? Raw beef mixed in with bone marrow, tiger penis a little ox blood? I feel like such a grom 'cause I just eat regular/normal food. I don't even like regular smoothies/Booster Juice etc.

April 24, 2014, 2:04 p.m.

Frozen/chilled banana, soy milk (can't drink dairy), frozen strawberries/blueberries/raspberries.

I mostly consume as a refreshing and healthy snack/dessert. Sometimes post-ride, although some added protein would probably be ideal.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 24, 2014, 2:07 p.m.

Whaddya guys blend into your smoothies? Raw beef mixed in with bone marrow, tiger penis a little ox blood? I feel like such a grom 'cause I just eat regular/normal food. I don't even like regular smoothies/Booster Juice etc.

I hate the juices you buy from the likes of Jugo Juice and such. So much sugar.

I put all manner of veggies/fruits in them. Spinach, blueberries, bananas, seeds, nuts, nut-butters, protein powders, carrots.. basically whatever I have kicking around. Where the military-grade blenders earn their keep is when using ice cubes, frozen berries and peanut/almond butters.

Super fast way to get a full, super nutritious meal in without massive chunks of food that didn't blend sitting at the bottom of a cup.

April 24, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

Let bananas get all spotty and ripe, then peel and put in freezer to keep on hand. I get asked if I have a pet monkey all the time at the grocery store when I walk out with 50 bananas and 4 bags of avocados.

Lots of things are negotiable, but I find you must have these things to make a perfect smoothie. You can't go wrong if you get this as a base.

Frozen bananas (enough to make it thick like a McD's shake - usually 2 or 3)
at least half an avocado, but I usually go with a whole one.
Coconut milk. Not much, or you won't get that thick creamy texture that you can stand a spoon in.

Everything else is negotiable. But here's what I've been doing lately…

4 raw eggs
3 frozen bananas
1 avocado
2 tbs hemp seed
2 tbs walnuts
1 cup spinach
1/4 cup coconut milk

That will get you through the morning no matter what you're doing, I guarantee it. Also guaranteed to kill most blenders in a month or two. Hence my recommendation for a Vitamix.

April 24, 2014, 5:14 p.m.

These ones look good.

http://www.runnersworld.com/photos/best-postrun-juice-blends-for-runners

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 25, 2014, 12:05 a.m.

The Daughter and I found this very nifty pg recently while looking into recipe tweaks. Probably not dead accurate but it gives an idea and no drop down tabs to sort thru…just type stuff in :)
http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Krams smoothie recipe for example…

April 25, 2014, 7:53 a.m.

Got a Vitamix too. No complaints whatsoever. Well worth the money it costs.

April 26, 2014, 5:15 p.m.

I may have to pick one of these Vitamix up now

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.