a minimum standard of fitness?

Jan. 23, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

cool!

another option is to continue with the cross fit and add in some strength specific work at the end of your cross fit workout. you could also do a simple morning routine of push-ups and pistol squats for maybe 12-15 minutes and within a few weeks you'll see noticeable improvement.

Think I will try some Wendler 5 3 1 fit in around the crossfit workout. From taking a quick look, it seems like it uses the same basic lifts I have learned through crossfit (good, and same philosophy of big major complex movements), matches up well to the frequency of my crossfit workouts, and is well structured so I can easily follow the plan (not being a natural gym rat, this is helpful) and looks like it will be self-fulfilling with frequent PRs.

What's your pushup / pistol routine? Do both till can't do no more?

Jan. 23, 2015, 7:59 p.m.

Think I will try some Wendler 5 3 1 fit in around the crossfit workout. From taking a quick look, it seems like it uses the same basic lifts I have learned through crossfit (good, and same philosophy of big major complex movements), matches up well to the frequency of my crossfit workouts, and is well structured so I can easily follow the plan (not being a natural gym rat, this is helpful) and looks like it will be self-fulfilling with frequent PRs.

What's your pushup / pistol routine? Do both till can't do no more?

see how that goes, once you start cranking up the intensity of the 5/3/1 you probably won't have much left for the crossfit workouts or the crossfit will sap your potential gains on the 5/3/1. your ability to progress is directly related to your ability to recover.

i don't have a push-up or pistol routine, basically never do them. last time i tried pushups i did a set around 40 or so before i stopped. for push-ups i prefer doing them with one physio ball under each and and having a gap between the two balls. it's an awesome exercise for shoulder girdle stability and helps a lot with the bench press.

pistols, who knows? it's been years. ok, i just tried a few and did 4 each leg and that was it. pistols are much more balance/agility dependent than push-ups though so how often you do them will have a big impact on how many you can do.

good luck! let us know how it goes.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 23, 2015, 8:29 p.m.

Think I will try some Wendler 5 3 1 fit in around the crossfit workout.

If you want my 5/3/1 Google sheet (enter your maxes and it will give you your percentages for Week 1, 2 [HTML_REMOVED] 3), hit me up.

If you want access to my 5/3/1 Evernote logs for the last year and a half hit me up.

My suggestion, like Syncro's, pick one. Crossfit or strength training. That is unless your goal is to feel like complete shit and eventually suck at both, then 5/3/1 and Crossfit at the same time will be one of your best bets.

Jan. 23, 2015, 11:56 p.m.

My suggestion, like Syncro's, pick one. Crossfit or strength training. That is unless your goal is to feel like complete shit and eventually suck at both, then 5/3/1 and Crossfit at the same time will be one of your best bets.

I suspect you guys are right but will see how the combo goes for a while…