5/3/1 Training Log

Sept. 15, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

Reductimat, how did your progress go on this plan for the last eight months? I'm finding I don't have much free time right now and this looks like something that will be easy enough to knock off 3-4 times a week without a huge time commitment.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Sept. 15, 2014, 5:48 p.m.

I think it's the best program for someone who isn't new to lifting the big lifts heavy.

If you're "new" to deadlifting, squatting and benching the powerlifting way I think a 3x a week of just that for a month or two would be a better place to start. Groove the movements and then jump into something like 5/3/1.

I think I mentioned something along the lines that mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding took first priority over lifting heavy. I managed to get three complete cycles in a row during the ski/biking "shoulder" season and hit a big PR after a very long layoff (I'd say years). Since then I've been doing this program when I had the time, never more than one complete cycle before a week in Whistler. Sometimes I'd be two to three weeks in between. Today, I pulled 455 off the ground easily (20 off my PR) so I think it's serving my priorities very nicely.

Feel free to ask any questions.

If you're interested, I've shared my workout logs with another friend. I've kept it all in Evernote so it's easy to share. I just need an email address to send the link to.

Sept. 15, 2014, 7:08 p.m.

I've been an off and on again lifter for years, I was getting pretty serious again before I moved down to Cali this summer, but I've got a few things working against me right now. I'm on a really intense course, so free time is hard to come by and the time I do have I like to spend with my son when I get a break from studying. I've got a set of bumper plates, a rack, and a bench (Rogue is cheaper in the US than Canada) in my garage, but in the afternoon/evening the temp climbs to almost 40C in there, so I've got essentially zero motivation to do any lifting when I'm back from class. It leaves the mornings for me, but I do like my beauty sleep so I'd like to minimize the time I spend lifting. I figure I can get 45min a day in the morning 3-4x a week, which would seem to work well with this plan if I focused more on the core lifts and filled in extra time with the extras. I'd be curious to see your logs though, I'll send you my email.

It's not like I'm riding more than once or twice a week down here right now either. I can't wait for the temps to drop back into the 20s in the next month or so.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

So, now that bikepark season is done, I'm back in the swing of things.

During bikepark season I averaged about six workout days a month for six months, drank a shitton of beer and ate lots of crap, but rode hard.

I've just done my first week-3 workout (basically test your max in the lift for that day) since the park closed and hit 295 for the bench.

This program rules if your goals are to lift heavy things.

Dec. 15, 2014, 9:33 p.m.

Been able to go with a bit more frequency November.

I've crossed over the 10 plate category and have pulled 515 for deadlift, so close to 6 plates for bench and I don't really know about squatting. I've done 405 pounds but I don't think my hips broke parallel. Since I'm not going to go into any powerlifting competitions I guess it doesn't matter.

It is a good program.

Dec. 16, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

Been able to go with a bit more frequency November.

I've crossed over the 10 plate category and have pulled 515 for deadlift, so close to 6 plates for bench and I don't really know about squatting. I've done 405 pounds but I don't think my hips broke parallel. Since I'm not going to go into any powerlifting competitions I guess it doesn't matter.

It is a good program.

Beast!