5/3/1 Training Log

March 10, 2014, 8:34 p.m.

Well, today was a max day and I got my 455 deadlift off the ground on my second try. First time grinding one out in probably six years.

I'm not putting too much hope into getting 500 in my next cycle or two, but I won't lie and say that isn't my goal.

nice work! i didn't realize you'd been out of teh heavy weight for so long.

If there's been on consistent message on this program, err on the side of setting your 1RM too low as opposed to too high.

I'm interested in keeping tabs on how it works for you.. would love to know if it's a panacea or just suited for me for some reason.

i think with your situation and previous lifitng history that this type of routine is accelerating results you would have achieved otherwise. as well, leaving yourself gas in the tank is helping big time with your recovery (neural and physical) which is allowing you to make consistent progress.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 10, 2014, 9:01 p.m.

nice work! i didn't realize you'd been out of teh heavy weight for so long.

In '08 I decided to start collecting injuries and concussions. Hopefully I've seen the light and will not do that anymore.

i think with your situation and previous lifitng history that this type of routine is accelerating results you would have achieved otherwise. as well, leaving yourself gas in the tank is helping big time with your recovery (neural and physical) which is allowing you to make consistent progress.

I couldn't believe it when I had 315 on my back (since 2008) and a bunch of parallel squats popped out with ease. Just goes to show you that strength training is for life, even when you leave it for a LONG time.

At this stage in my life, I'm digging the increased bone density as much as I am the confused stares as to WTF I'm doing.

March 10, 2014, 9:14 p.m.

I just remembered one more major difference from last time.

I've almost completely cut out planned, daily cardio (seven days a week). Last time I was doing this I was trying to be both cut and strong. Apparently that choice is only available to me if I augment with pharmaceuticals.

I leave my energy systems work for bootpacking up Flute and resort powder days for now.

March 10, 2014, 9:41 p.m.

I just remembered one more major difference from last time.

I've almost completely cut out planned, daily cardio (seven days a week). Last time I was doing this I was trying to be both cut and strong. Apparently that choice is only available to me if I augment with pharmaceuticals.

I leave my energy systems work for bootpacking up Flute and resort powder days for now.

hahaha, yeah i discoverd this ugly little fact years ago. the choice was give up riding and focus on lifting or continue to ride and realize i wouldn't hit my potential in the gym.

re getting cut, it is far less dependent on cardio and way more so on diet. cardio will def help if you have significant BF to lose, but the right resistance training program is more effective at shedding BF than cardio. the problem is the avg person isn't willing to put in the effort required to get those results.

or like you say it's time for a visit to their back alley pharmacist.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 10, 2014, 9:51 p.m.

re getting cut, it is far less dependent on cardio and way more so on diet.

Unfortunately I was diagnosed with a disorder where I stand a good chance of dying if I don't consume beer, pizza and chips regularly. I tried to counter this horrible condition by spending ten to twelve hours a week sweating. It worked until my body told me to fuck off.

March 10, 2014, 10:05 p.m.

Unfortunately I was diagnosed with a disorder where I stand a good chance of dying if I don't consume beer, pizza and chips regularly. I tried to counter this horrible condition by spending ten to twelve hours a week sweating. It worked until my body told me to fuck off.

i have a very similar affliction but with cake, ice cream, pie and doughnuts.

i had a pretty bad spell in january, i ate three whole cakes in one week - twice i ate the whole thing in one shot.

Ellen Langer

March 10, 2014, 10:57 p.m.

i have a very similar affliction but with cake, ice cream, pie and doughnuts.

i had a pretty bad spell in january, i ate three whole cakes in one week - twice i ate the whole thing in one shot.

You have achieved demi-god status…. I have a donut affliction! Carbs that are heavily processed are my favorite.

I enjoy cardio… But, I know it is a one or other. My trainer wants me to work on adding 10-15lbs to my weight for the next comp.

Getting strong is fun, but really hard work. The payoff is worth it though. Weight training really fires up the metabolism big time.

March 10, 2014, 11:31 p.m.

You have achieved demi-god status…. I have a donut affliction! Carbs that are heavily processed are my favorite.

I enjoy cardio… But, I know it is a one or other. My trainer wants me to work on adding 10-15lbs to my weight for the next comp.

Getting strong is fun, but really hard work. The payoff is worth it though. Weight training really fires up the metabolism big time.

blush

yeah, a dozen doughnuts from tims? no problem. i really couldn't choose between having to pick just riding or lifting, but the lifitng gets the slight nod in terms of time comittment. plus with what i like to ride, the lifting more than makes up for my so-so cardio.

weight training and some tabata/HIIT can give most people enough cardio to be able to do 10-15k runs or 1-2hr rides. outside of that though, the strength training has to take a back seat.

if a person's goal is a lean and muscular physique then strength training, diet and some tabat/HIIT training will get you there. endurance cardio is not the way to go.

Ellen Langer

March 13, 2014, 9:27 a.m.

Some really good stuff in this thread. Well done to the OP and other contributers.

Interesting to hear other guys having trouble with the gym vs riding balance. It's sort of been what I thought was my dirty little secret the last few months. Since Dec I've been back hard on a program focused on size and strength, and haven't been able to get out riding much. Come to think of it it is the hard cardio sessions that keep me from going for a ride that same day. Even really heavy weight days don't seem to zap the energy like cardio seshs do.

Also interesting hearing the workout adjustments with age and injury. Im 35 and over the last handful of years it seems I'm always tweeking something. I've tried to just put my head down and fight through it which probably isnt the best way. It results in too many weeks off due to injury. Not to mention listening to the old lady and the doc bitch about me being a dummy.

I wouldnt listen to them but I will listen to the wisdom of some random faceless mountain bikers that I have never met. Thanks gents

March 13, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

Interesting to hear other guys having trouble with the gym vs riding balance. It's sort of been what I thought was my dirty little secret the last few months. Since Dec I've been back hard on a program focused on size and strength, and haven't been able to get out riding much. Come to think of it it is the hard cardio sessions that keep me from going for a ride that same day. Even really heavy weight days don't seem to zap the energy like cardio seshs do.

the issue arises depedning on the amount of riding and the type of training one is doing. so for example if you're lifitng for strength with a power lifting or O-lifting type of program and riding 3 or more days per week where you're climbing at a moderate to fast past it will be difficult to maintain that intensity and volume of training as the body simply isn't getting enough rest.

where you are in your training also has a big impact. so a seasoned and consistent lifter who is at 90% of his potential will be having more strenuous work outs than a novice or moderate lifter who may only be at 40-65% of their potential. for a raw beginer however they may have the most difficulty during their first 2-4wks of training.

it all comes down to intensity, volume and frequency of training.

Ellen Langer

April 14, 2014, 8:04 p.m.

I took two weeks off during spring break for snowboarding and skiing. A lot of hikes up Flute, tons of beer and lots of chips were had.

Today was Week 3 of my cycle since that time and I smashed through an all time record easily with a 465 deadlift. I knew I had more in the tank but left it for another day. It's as if those two weeks didn't happen which surprised me.

If you are looking to be stronger with minimal fuss, this program rocks.

April 14, 2014, 8:07 p.m.

sweet! but how will you look at the beach this summer?

we all know that's all that really counts.

Ellen Langer

April 14, 2014, 9:31 p.m.

Awesome job!

April 14, 2014, 10:06 p.m.

Thanks boys.

It's usually this time of the year I start thinking I can eat like Leggatt for a month or two. It's not until July I usually convince myself it's better if I don't even try.

Kidding aside, I'll give it a try at some point. I just pity those who will have to live with me while I'm trying to do it.

April 14, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

Thanks boys.

It's usually this time of the year I start thinking I can eat like Leggatt for a month or two. It's not until July I usually convince myself it's better if I don't even try.

Kidding aside, I'll give it a try at some point. I just pity those who will have to live with me while I'm trying to do it.

I took some dietary liberties after the contest. But now I am back on track. LOL

Your absolutely right though. Eating clean and low on carbs is hard to do and even harder to make gains while doing so. Something will give and it will be the gains. I have made strength gains, but my schedule has me working out at 5:30 on empty food wise. This is carb depleted lifting and without the pre-workout drink or espresso shot, I am a cooked goose.

You're a beast on the dead lifts. I am still barely scaring 365 off the deck. Slowly but surely.