40 minute rule

Dec. 21, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

Ok so this was sorta' covered in the titty thread but all the dudes, the ones with bulging muscles anyways, are mixing it up right there in the gym 'cause "before 40 minutes worked muscle 'absorb' protein better".
Yes/no?

What's the deal with "harmonized" product.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 22, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

Heard the PPL brand of whey protein is the best.

Heard that place Howe [HTML_REMOVED] davie (also in city square) has best prices.

True/false?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 22, 2014, 9:06 p.m.

Ok so this was sorta' covered in the titty thread but all the dudes, the ones with bulging muscles anyways, are mixing it up right there in the gym 'cause "before 40 minutes worked muscle 'absorb' protein better".
Yes/no?

What's the deal with "harmonized" product.

well, this is sort of true. there's a concept known as peri-nutrition, or nutrition around your workout. it's advanced from the simple rule of eat a good meal after your workout. what and when you eat depends on on what you're doing and the intensity. i'll get more info up for you in a day or so, but let me know specifically what you're doing in terms of a workout or why you feel you may need the protein before.

and i'm not sure what you mean by harmonized product.

• edit - the thing is, what you've eaten in the 24-72 hours before your workout will have more of an impact that what you eat right before. so while there are things that can potentially optimize your gains, in reality most people aren't training hard enough to need this type of advanced training nutrition.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 22, 2014, 9:10 p.m.

Heard the PPL brand of whey protein is the best.

Heard that place Howe [HTML_REMOVED] davie (also in city square) has best prices.

True/false?

genesis nutrition does have decent prices, not sure if they are the best but you won't get ripped off.

i also wouldn't say there's one best brand of protein. i'd be more concerned about understanding what's in the product you're taking and why you're taking it.

whey, casein, egg or plant protein?
whey isolate or concentrate?
protein by itself or mixed with other things?

also, i think you mean PVL, not PPL

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 22, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

Sorry, I meant ingesting protein before 30-40 minutes had elapsed after the workout.

"Harmonized" like for "adults", man.

Isolate isn't concentrate?

PVL. Must be what he said.

whey, casein, egg or plant protein?

Not too choosy flavoured whey is fine. My ol' lady's got some hemp protein man that stuff is awful!

Dec. 22, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

Sorry, I meant ingesting protein before 30-40 minutes had elapsed after the workout.

"Harmonized" like for "adults", man.

Isolate isn't concentrate?

PVL. Must be what he said.

Not too choosy flavoured whey is fine. My ol' lady's got some hemp protein man that stuff is awful!

yeah, the protein window, if you can it's a good thing and a whey isolate can be a better choice.

and no, isolate is not the same concentrate. it has to do with how the protein is processed. i could type out a bunch more stuff, but just read this instead, it's pretty straightforward and doesn't bs anything.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm

sounds like you'd be fine with a concentrate.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 22, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

Bodybuilding.com

Recent studies show the post workout nutrition window is way bigger than originally thought.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing

I used to follow it religiously. Now I'll have a beer after working out every now and then. I've not experienced a difference.

Dec. 22, 2014, 10:51 p.m.

Bodybuilding.com

Recent studies show the post workout nutrition window is way bigger than originally thought.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing

I used to follow it religiously. Now I'll have a beer after working out every now and then. I've not experienced a difference.

yeah a lot of the "reasearch" leaves out a lot of important facts, like how liver glycogen stores are pretty significant. if your nutrition in the 24-72 before your workout has been good as well as after then you're not going to destroy yourself if you don't have the right things just before, during or immediately after a workout.

"Exercise has a profound effect on muscle growth, which can occur only if muscle protein synthesis exceeds muscle protein breakdown; there must be a positive muscle protein balance. Resistance exercise improves muscle protein balance, but, in the absence of food intake, the balance remains negative (i.e., catabolic). The response of muscle protein metabolism to a resistance exercise bout lasts for 24-48 hours; thus, the interaction between protein metabolism and any meals consumed in this period will determine the impact of the diet on muscle hypertrophy. Amino acid availability is an important regulator of muscle protein metabolism. The interaction of postexercise metabolic processes and increased amino acid availability maximizes the stimulation of muscle protein synthesis and results in even greater muscle anabolism than when dietary amino acids are not present. Hormones, especially insulin and testosterone, have important roles as regulators of muscle protein synthesis and muscle hypertrophy. Following exercise, insulin has only a permissive role on muscle protein synthesis, but it appears to inhibit the increase in muscle protein breakdown. Ingestion of only small amounts of amino acids, combined with carbohydrates, can transiently increase muscle protein anabolism, but it has yet to be determined if these transient responses translate into an appreciable increase in muscle mass over a prolonged training period."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11255140

Ellen Langer

Dec. 26, 2014, 7:29 p.m.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm

OK that was interesting but I found a 3 lb tub of rice protein in the fridge so I'm gonna' use that up first.