30 Day Challenges

March 18, 2014, 6:31 p.m.

where is the second chart? I didn't see it. I could use the lower intervals for side planks since I find them a bit harder.

Second chart is here:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2800860[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=16

Times we started with are linked from the first post, on this page:
http://healthiertwist.com/30-day-plank-challenge-day-1/

March 18, 2014, 8:45 p.m.

We didn't stick with it…I was busy getting going on the Heavy bag and the Wife and Daughter are doing a lot of yoga, so they didn't really need the plank challenge. Daughter just finished the 60 classes in 60 days challenge at the studio actually!
Then I went and pulled my upper back pretty bad at work…haven't done f-all for the past 4wks until I could get the ok on what I can or should do. FINALLY just got started at the OR1 physio dealie thru WCB…..F-me my back hurts :(

March 18, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

But speaking of challenges and upper body…I bookmarked a pull up routine I saw last yr that looked worth a go some day. Also look up Rings (gymnast)…those look fun! :|…lots of stabilizing…

http://www.50pullups.com/ …progressive tabs in the right side bar

This one has way more info and details…it WAS free when I got it, looks like they charge now…but I have the pdf if anyone has an interest, maybe I'll snap a few pg shots for samples here

March 19, 2014, 2:59 p.m.

But speaking of challenges and upper body…I bookmarked a pull up routine I saw last yr that looked worth a go some day. Also look up Rings (gymnast)…those look fun! :|…lots of stabilizing…

http://www.50pullups.com/ …progressive tabs in the right side bar

This one has way more info and details…it WAS free when I got it, looks like they charge now…but I have the pdf if anyone has an interest, maybe I'll snap a few pg shots for samples here

I wouldn't mind seeing it!

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

March 26, 2014, 5:57 p.m.

And I'm back to kettlebell swinging. My hamstrings are slightly sore, and while I seem to be flexible enough(I can touch the palms of my hands on the ground when leaning forward), the soreness limits my flexibility.
Today the backside of my upper leg is stiffer than any muscle as ever been on my body. I stretched and foam rolled the hamstrings,and since reading and trying to improve, it is the first time I am properly hip hinging. Even just pushing my bottom backwards I can feel the stretch in the hamstring. I guess this is the normal way I should feel when doing a new exercise, but I never thought kettlebell would point this glaring weakness. I had been deadlifting and squating using almost exclusively the quads. Squats and deadlifts seemed so similarly, and none of them felt wrong. I can predict quickly enough grip will become the limiting factor in deadlifting.
I have a orange foam roller, should I get a firmer one? It doesn't seem to do jackshit on the hamstring, but it works fine on my back. Any recommended stretches? Additional exercises?

March 26, 2014, 11:05 p.m.

do you clench you glutes when squating or deadlifting ? and do you do good mornings and stiffleg deadlifts ?? also do you lock out your knees when squating ??

and i hoping too be back kettlebell training in the next day or two been down for a few weeks now with flu/cold type symptoms

as for hamstrings , i stretch my hips and t-band 1st then move too hams i also slowly advance every 5 secs . after days i find results and get closer and closer to my chest touching my quads when sitting flat on the floor and reaching for my toes . on a good day i can put my palms flat on the floor when doing a standing closed leg stretch . calves also need a good stretch before hams as well .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 27, 2014, 5:35 a.m.

1 - do you clench you glutes when squating or deadlifting ?
2- and do you do good mornings and stiffleg deadlifts ??
3- also do you lock out your knees when squating ??

and i hoping too be back kettlebell training in the next day or two been down for a few weeks now with flu/cold type symptoms

as for hamstrings , i stretch my hips and t-band 1st then move too hams i also slowly advance every 5 secs . after days i find results and get closer and closer to my chest touching my quads when sitting flat on the floor and reaching for my toes . on a good day i can put my palms flat on the floor when doing a standing closed leg stretch . calves also need a good stretch before hams as well .

1- Yes, I notice that more in the deadlift at least and when the kettlebell is going upwards
2- No and no. I have tried good mornings once, but I felt lower back pain, I must have been doing it wrong. My deadlift seems a lot like a stiff legged one, apart from when the bar is on the ground; as soon as I get the bar a certain height, it is essentially a stiff legged, with the bar as close to my shins as I can
3-I try to keep them at the same angle as my feet, don't open outwards, don't roll inwards

March 27, 2014, 7:12 a.m.

1- Yes, I notice that more in the deadlift at least and when the kettlebell is going upwards
2- No and no. I have tried good mornings once, but I felt lower back pain, I must have been doing it wrong. My deadlift seems a lot like a stiff legged one, apart from when the bar is on the ground; as soon as I get the bar a certain height, it is essentially a stiff legged, with the bar as close to my shins as I can
3-I try to keep them at the same angle as my feet, don't open outwards, don't roll inwards

1) When you're squatting or deadlifting, imagine crushing a walnut in your butt near the top.

2) If you're rounding your back at the bottom you're using to much weight. Also don't straight leg the good morning and brace your core as hard as you possible can.

March 28, 2014, 4:30 p.m.

there,s a decent 28day program in the April 2014 issue of Mens Health it,s called Kettlebell Chaos

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 30, 2014, 2:01 a.m.

I am currently thinking about the idea of creaing a 30-Day-ish Challenge with pull-ups and TGUs only, reason for the TGU being that it is a challenging whole body movement which does not only focus on one plane and on one group. And pull-ups, well good for the back as a whole. I thought both nicely complement each other.

Done first thing in the morning after the first proper coffee and my usual mobility, and martial arts movement prep.

Idea at the moment is something along the lines of

Day 1-3
TGU (16kg KB) 2-2-1
Pull-up (BW) 4-4-2

and then slowly increase the volume over the next four weeks to build work capacity and get the volume in. Days 5 and 6 would be off, and it does not matter when the reps are done, either as a Cluster, or spread throughout the day which I think makes more sense when the volume starts adding up.

What do you guys think? Any feedback (positive and negative) would be really helpful.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 3, 2014, 10:09 p.m.

I wouldn't mind seeing it!

Punch " 7 weeks pull ups " into KAT…

April 3, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

…and it does not matter when the reps are done, either as a Cluster, or spread throughout the day which I think makes more sense when the volume starts adding up.

What do you guys think? Any feedback (positive and negative) would be really helpful.

The first thing that came to mind was that, at least for the sake of a measurable challenge amongst peers, is to maybe specify the working time frame. I figure there's quite a difference between having to do the work in 10-30min vs spreading it over 12-16hrs…

April 4, 2014, 3:35 a.m.

The first thing that came to mind was that, at least for the sake of a measurable challenge amongst peers, is to maybe specify the working time frame. I figure there's quite a difference between having to do the work in 10-30min vs spreading it over 12-16hrs…

I agree, for a challenge measured amongst us gentlemen, a specified time frame would be a good start.

However, I took the idea of the spread across 12 hrs (or along those lines) from the basic idea called PLP Challenge (Push-up, Lunge, Pull-Up Challenge). The original article can be found on T-Nation. Link here.

A quotation from the article:

As you get into higher reps you won't be able to finish all of them in one set. This is how it's supposed to be. You can spread the reps throughout the day.

Most of my clients start their day with a circuit of the PLP program before breakfast. For example, on day 32 of this program my client did four rounds of eight reps with each exercise. It took him five minutes to complete.

Later in the day, do your main workout. Generally, try to have at least 6 hours between the PLP workout and your main workout. And you don't need pre/post-workout nutrition for PLP workouts. Save that for your main workouts.

Actually I am still in the process of designing it for my needs, and life and other stuff takes over at the moment.

Currently, I do a few sets of movement prep stuff after my first cup of coffee in the morning at 6-ish, tzakes about 20 minutes. In the garden, rain or shine. And in the evening I meditate 30 minutes minimum to "bring my mental trash out".

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 1, 2015, 8:49 p.m.

Happened across this chart…a little different than the OP one

Starting this one again today.

Jan. 1, 2015, 9:34 p.m.

Also doing a squat challenge, starting at 20 the first day. Adding 5 a day, every 5th day is a rest day.