2020 Fitness Goals

Feb. 6, 2020, 10:28 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: earleb

Good video on the science of what you should eat to drop weight.

tldw - cut out processed foods

be happy I just saved you 12 minutes

oh and a macro ratio of 50/20/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and fast 2x/wk

You know some people might want to understand some of the why.

Feb. 6, 2020, 3:12 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

You know some people might want to understand some of the why.

yeah you're right, it is a good listen.  i've been in a bad head space lately and I shouldn't be jumping on stuff like this, sorry.

Feb. 8, 2020, 9:56 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Squat 365/5

Run 10km sub 50 min (ideally sub 45)

Do full No Quarter climb sub 45 min (ideally sub 40)

All in the same week before mid May

Anybody else have any goals for 2020?

Following this plan...

Don't Get Taken Out By a Driver

and this is the rest of the plan....

https://semi-rad.com/2013/01/make-plans-not-resolutions/

Last edited by: Endurimil on Feb. 8, 2020, 10:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 18, 2020, 1:32 p.m.

2020 is almost done, any of you managed to achieve or come close to your goals? 

I am a few hundred km short of finally reaching 5000km on bikes this year - for the first time ever, despite still having a bad back which I do not really notice much. Original goal was to reach 5k at the end of December. 

I have been on a constant diet of almost daily drills and exercises to stay healthy since late February, a mix of Chinese movement and flexibility drills and martial arts movement patterning, sometimes a bit of light strength training thrown in.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 18, 2020, 1:55 p.m.

Nice, inspirational stuff!

My secret goal that I started cracking on in January was to get on the top ten board for some Strava segment climbs. Been at it pretty hard, but holy fuck am I bad at it.

Actually eeked onto the list on a few, even if only temporarily. Holy hell is it an effort though. Way harder and scarier for me to commit to those levels of pain then to try for downhill times. 

I'm addicted now though.

Sept. 23, 2020, 1:25 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

My secret goal that I started cracking on in January was to get on the top ten board for some Strava segment climbs. Been at it pretty hard, but holy fuck am I bad at it.

Actually eeked onto the list on a few, even if only temporarily. Holy hell is it an effort though. Way harder and scarier for me to commit to those levels of pain then to try for downhill times.

I'm addicted now though.

The trick is to ride an XC bike basically. Some of those KOM's on climbs were done of fucking CX bikes!

Fitness goals went way out the window this year. A million miles off.

Sept. 24, 2020, 3:58 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I'm addicted now though.

Thank you, but I definitely hate climbing - but somehow know to get a bigger set of legs and power output, I guess, I need climbing. But oh so bloody challenging. 

I have given up on getting into the top ten of mtb rides, my stylus is too heavy for the ups and too un-squishy for the downs. But oh so much fun. 

And  my commuter is a gravel bike with Conti Contact Speed tires, gear ratio is not road bike like. And I notice my legs are not as good as they should be. I am weak. Weak!!!

Enjoy your addiction....I see what I can do in a few months.

Sept. 25, 2020, 1:28 a.m.

Posted by: danimaniac

drop 15 kilos and work on my FTP --- up it to 270-300 Watts (3 Watts per kg bodyweight) (driven by numbers, I am :-D )

Climb my nearest mountain (1000m altitude change) in under 75 minutes (currently 100minutes)

be able to do 10 Pullups, 50 Pushups, run 10km under 50minutes

I'll just quote myself here... None of it.

I dropped 5 kilos and regained 2 , FTP test is due though... I'm excited to see

1000m climb is still 100 minutes... but my bike gained in kilo just in rubber

8 pullups, 60 pushups, still hate running, won't do it :D

I'm definitely stronger though than when I first wrote that overly ambitioned crap up there :P due to HIIT training with barbells and stuff and a morning routine of about 100 pushups and 200 situps/Crunches that I introduced in February and have not skipped yet and an evening routine of eating well and drinking good beer and wine. This all helps... maybe

Sept. 25, 2020, 6:46 a.m.

Goal: Weight lost riding and running this summer. Keep it off.... One advantage to this pandemic is realizing how much I was eating at work. Now working from home I eat a small fraction of what I was eating off the catering buffet daily. 🐖

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 25, 2020, 6:49 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 22, 2020, 2:04 p.m.

drop 15 kilos and work on my FTP --- up it to 270-300 Watts (3 Watts per kg bodyweight) (driven by numbers, I am :-D )

Climb my nearest mountain (1000m altitude change) in under 75 minutes (currently 100minutes)

be able to do 10 Pullups, 50 Pushups, run 10km under 50minutes

I'll just quote myself here... None of it.

I dropped 5 kilos and regained 2 , FTP test is due though... I'm excited to see

1000m climb is still 100 minutes... but my bike gained in kilo just in rubber

8 pullups, 60 pushups, still hate running, won't do it :D

I'm definitely stronger though than when I first wrote that overly ambitioned crap up there :P due to HIIT training with barbells and stuff and a morning routine of about 100 pushups and 200 situps/Crunches that I introduced in February and have not skipped yet and an evening routine of eating well and drinking good beer and wine. This all helps... maybe

60 pushup.....wowser. I have not practised them that much apart from the odd 10 here or there. 

Kind of strange that your capacity to pull does not equal your capacity to push, planned any work in that area? Have not been able to do any situps or crunches, except the McGill crunch as part of my back rehab progamme.

Nov. 29, 2020, noon

My only semi-serious goal was to run 50km for my 50th, and I did that in June. Otherwise, it was trying to ride or run at least 3 times/week, with some long distance efforts mixed in for variety. Yesterday, I did a 25km run with 1400m of elevation gain to wind up the year. Now, I'll take a break to enjoy the excesses of the holidays, go skiing with my kids, and I'll get back into regular cardio in January.

Last edited by: PaulB on Nov. 29, 2020, 2:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2020, 3:22 a.m.

Posted by: PaulB

My only semi-serious goal was to run 50km for my 50th, and I did that in June. Otherwise, it was trying to ride or run at least 3 times/week, with some long distance efforts mixed in for variety. Yesterday, I did a 25km run with 1400m of elevation gain to wind up the year. Now, I'll take a break to enjoy the excesses of the holidays, go skiing with my kids, and I'll get back into regular cardio in January.

Some impressive numbers, well done.

And...when I read your post las night (noon over here), I was struck by your notion to enjoy the holidays without any proper training. I was like...:WTF...is this even possible. Guess I found my new cigarettes, my new addiction - I sometimes feel bad for not doing anything sportsm, training or movement related for a few days, and you are talking about weeks.