2020 Fitness Goals

Jan. 11, 2020, 1:52 p.m.

picked up yoga to slow down the degradation of my body which ached way too much in the last months

wanna finish the pomorska 500 gravel race in june before the cut off time, 530km through poland in less than 80h

Last edited by: Sethimus on Jan. 11, 2020, 1:59 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 12, 2020, 3:02 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

picked up yoga to slow down the degradation of my body which ached way too much in the last months

wanna finish the pomorska 500 gravel race in june before the cut off time, 530km through poland in less than 80h

Stretching and working on flexibility should be a daily practise....that is what I still try.

That ultra-endurance self-supported gravel road race in Poland sounds just crazy.

Jan. 12, 2020, 8:45 a.m.

Mic I noticed this from the ride more thread :

Posted by: Mic

Probably going for a road ride later. But....legs are heavy. The good kind of heavy. 

If the legs feel heavy that's a sign you could benefit from some active recovery - go for a light, easy spin for about 20-30 minutes just to flush some blood through the legs without stressing them too much

Jan. 12, 2020, 11:34 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Mic I noticed this from the ride more thread :

Posted by: Mic

Probably going for a road ride later. But....legs are heavy. The good kind of heavy. 

If the legs feel heavy that's a sign you could benefit from some active recovery - go for a light, easy spin for about 20-30 minutes just to flush some blood through the legs without stressing them too much

Thank you for the reminder, syncro. 

To be honest, did not go for even a recovery ride. Spent most of my day at the desk or crosslegged and on cushions on the floor, reading papers. 

And tomorrow some very light lifting and martial arts class in the evening. 

And maybe a commute by bike on Tuesday....maybe. Tough week ahead.

Jan. 22, 2020, 3:12 p.m.

I'm hoping to lose about 30 pounds and increase my core conditioning so I can run downhill for longer without blowing out my knees.

I'm signed up for Whistler Alpine Meadows 110k ultra on Sep 26th.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been. 220 at 6'3'' it's not overly heavy but it's mostly fat. My plan is to actually spend more time picking things up and putting them down again in different ways than doing a high volume running plan.

Next 9 months are gonna be all about the squats, lunges and one legged deadlifts for the most part.

I've changed the way I run for this year too. Spending most of my running time in the aerobic zone. It's a lot slower but apparently this is how you train for ultras.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 22, 2020, 3:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2020, 5:47 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I'm hoping to lose about 30 pounds and increase my core conditioning so I can run downhill for longer without blowing out my knees.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been. 220

I can't picture you at 220.

Re picking up and putting down, be careful with that as that will add body weight. If you need to trim down it's really about what you're eating as opposed to what you are or aren't doing. That said, adding in some strength training with the right exercises will help. I'd suggest overhead squats, step ups, upright rows and some pull ups.

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 22, 2020, 5:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2020, 6:46 p.m.

Re picking up and putting down, be careful with that as that will add body weight. If you need to trim down it's really about what you're eating as opposed to what you are or aren't doing. That said, adding in some strength training with the right exercises will help. I'd suggest overhead squats, step ups, upright rows and some pull ups.

I'll see your overhead squats and raise some overhead lunges

And yeah as far as weight gain goes...married life has been good to me.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 22, 2020, 6:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2020, 6:59 p.m.

I would be highly impressed with a set of overhead squats at 135/5. Most people can't even do a set of 5 with just the bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn8mqlG0nkE

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 22, 2020, 7:13 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 23, 2020, 7:33 a.m.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been. 220 at 6'3'' it's not overly heavy but it's mostly fat. My plan is to actually spend more time picking things up and putting them down again in different ways than doing a high volume running plan.

Next 9 months are gonna be all about the squats, lunges and one legged deadlifts for the most part.

I've changed the way I run for this year too. Spending most of my running time in the aerobic zone. It's a lot slower but apparently this is how you train for ultras.

The problem you are facing is that as an endurance racer it's way easier to pack on weight as soon as you finish racing for the season.  If you stop racing/training for an extended period of your body goes into store mode big time.  When I was racing I was 185 pounds, I'm just shy of 200 currently and trying to lose 10 pounds has been a super bitch, I don't wanna give up things I enjoy eating, doing a low sugar/carb diet is super boring. Especially cutting out the few beers I have per week, that's the worst, I enjoy that shit. That's the difference between the pros and the age groupers, the pros continue on with the training when they finish a race, the rest of us wanna enjoy life and take a break.

The my fitness pal app works pretty good. It's a pain in the ass but keeps that balance between having enough nutrition in your system so you aren't starving yourself ( no weight loss) and eating too much when trying to lose weight. It does work.

Jan. 23, 2020, 1:04 p.m.

Tennis Courts to 7th and back sub an hour. 

I have a couple lbs to drop but the current gym program with Bond Training will have that taken care off in the next couple weeks. After the program is done in April I'd like to integrate a home calisthenics program to target some key spots.

Jan. 23, 2020, 4:49 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

The problem you are facing is that as an endurance racer it's way easier to pack on weight as soon as you finish racing for the season. If you stop racing/training for an extended period of your body goes into store mode big time. When I was racing I was 185 pounds, I'm just shy of 200 currently and trying to lose 10 pounds has been a super bitch, I don't wanna give up things I enjoy eating, doing a low sugar/carb diet is super boring. Especially cutting out the few beers I have per week, that's the worst, I enjoy that shit. That's the difference between the pros and the age groupers, the pros continue on with the training when they finish a race, the rest of us wanna enjoy life and take a break.

The my fitness pal app works pretty good. It's a pain in the ass but keeps that balance between having enough nutrition in your system so you aren't starving yourself ( no weight loss) and eating too much when trying to lose weight. It does work.

The problem I had was I developed a nasty case of plantar warts after finishing the squamish 50 miler. (I was 185 then). I had one on my left heel and two on my right ball (of my foot in case that requires clarification) and it made running pointless as my gait was all messed up anyways from trying to compensate for the sensitive parts of my feet.

Plantar warts are pretty awful. I saw a podiatrist. Had them painfully removed once, tried to slowly kill them with that wart removing acid but nothing worked they just kept growing back.

A doctor told me that the only thing you can do is wait for your body to brute force the immunity password for lack of a better term and figure out how to kill it. Unfortunately that usually takes about two years as it did with me.

Long story short my feet are better now but I spent two years not running nearly as much as zi would have liked.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 23, 2020, 4:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 28, 2020, 10:54 a.m.

I saw this the other day and it made me think about the guys in here looking to drop some weight. Time at the squat rack might be time better spent vs trying to log miles on the trainer. 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fICF_O5esc[/youtube]

Jan. 29, 2020, 11:18 a.m.

I would be highly impressed with a set of overhead squats at 135/5. Most people can't even do a set of 5 with just the bar

OH squats are interesting. My best was 40kg for reps before my shoulder started to whisper that the stabilizing might go south soon-ish. LoL. And people behind me muttered that I was irrsponsible for doing such a dangerous exercise....the joys of bigbox commercial gyms. I sometimes do a few sets of 5 with the bar only as part of a general warmup. It feels that my shoulders are happy then. Plus some band pull-aparts after and my back and shoulders feel great. 

Btw...am at almost 500km this month but hardly any lifting apart from some movement and pattern practise. My goal of overhead pressing are not really smart.

I think I might continue light-ish (24kb for one arm pressing and 40 to 50kg barbell for 'easy' reps) but my focus is on riding. Some hang PCs (no more wrist pain!), Zercher Squats, some stabilizing work and swings thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by: Mic on Jan. 29, 2020, 11:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 5, 2020, 6:37 p.m.

https://youtu.be/UGGnnPgtzoU

Good video on the science of what you should eat to drop weight.

Feb. 5, 2020, 9:17 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Good video on the science of what you should eat to drop weight.

tldw - cut out processed foods

be happy I just saved you 12 minutes

oh and a macro ratio of 50/20/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and fast 2x/wk

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 5, 2020, 9:20 p.m., edited 2 times in total.