2020 Fitness Goals

Jan. 4, 2020, 6:14 p.m.

I feel for you guys that have difficulty cutting out beer even tho I don’t drink beer and hardly have any alcohol at all.  My vice seems to be everything else tho, especially sugar and fried foods. Crushing a large bag of salt and vinegar chips and a 6 pack of red velvet cupcakes or doughnuts along with dinner is easy if I’m really hungry. It’s like I don’t have a stop button at times, only when tha bag is empty 🤦‍♂️

Jan. 5, 2020, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I feel for you guys that have difficulty cutting out beer even tho I don’t drink beer and hardly have any alcohol at all.  My vice seems to be everything else tho, especially sugar and fried foods. Crushing a large bag of salt and vinegar chips and a 6 pack of red velvet cupcakes or doughnuts along with dinner is easy if I’m really hungry. It’s like I don’t have a stop button at times, only when tha bag is empty 🤦‍♂️

Don't even go down the chips aisle at the grocery store. My wheel power is weak.

The burger and fries at 2 Rivers Meats is pretty awesome. They have beer there too. Great place for a pig out after an epic ride. Sausage roll there is also a must.

Jan. 5, 2020, 4:22 p.m.

Same goal as Synchro to drop time on the climb. Drop some weight too. 5 min faster would be epic.

My problem is midnight snacking. Half asleep I'll eat any damn thing.

Just need to drop 30lbs off my bike...

Last edited by: Hepcat on Jan. 5, 2020, 4:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 7, 2020, 5:53 a.m.

My 2020 fitness/health goals:

- drink as much beer as 2019 [~136L]

- end with pants less tight than this year [same pants! no buying bigger ones!]

- ride/hike ~20% more distance and elevation

- don't get seriously injured

Jan. 7, 2020, 8:36 a.m.

I want to cut my weight down by 20 this year.

I plan to ride more up and down laps rather than looking for only the downhill thrill.

With my youngest kid now interested in pump track spins I'll also be down at the Vanier Park more so that should help.

I'm not sure if I can train my brain to eat differently, old habits die hard. Would love to cut out as many processed foods as I can, I believe you still need to have those pig out days though, otherwise you are setting yourself an unrealistic goals.

Jan. 7, 2020, 9:13 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

The distance thing/ longer in the saddle for sure burns more calories. Looking at getting a gravel bike so can do some longer rides at lower intensity, switch it up a bit.  The Fisherman's /Seymour dam lap is a great ride

Jan. 7, 2020, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

The distance thing/ longer in the saddle for sure burns more calories. Looking at getting a gravel bike so can do some longer rides at lower intensity, switch it up a bit.  The Fisherman's /Seymour dam lap is a great ride

That's ^^^ a good idea. I've been riding to the trails and then back home [+extra 30kms or so] and jumping on my SS MTB for running errands around town or walking if stuff is close by. I MTB enough that doing some different activities that are lower intensity and less impact on the body is nice. Having a gravel bike should be fun. Enjoy!

Jan. 7, 2020, 1:14 p.m.

I would definitely share the same goals, especially #1 & #4. 

And Brock, I particularly like your point about longer rides at lower intensity, hmmm...

Jan. 7, 2020, 1:47 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

And Brock, I particularly like your point about longer rides at lower intensity, hmmm...

The danger of too many long rides is that strength and muscle mass suffers.  Whether that's an issue depends on what type of athlete you want to be, but as mtb'ers having some upper body and lower body strength as well as a fair degree of anaerobic power is pretty important when compared to a road rider.

Jan. 7, 2020, 4:56 p.m.

Get in XC skinny boy shape to race the Merritt Crown

• 120km
  • 3,300m elev.
  • 50% singletrack
  • 12hr time limit

Run a marathon in February

Last edited by: james-oborne on Jan. 7, 2020, 4:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add this
Jan. 7, 2020, 5:05 p.m.

That's ^^^ a good idea. I've been riding to the trails and then back home [+extra 30kms or so] and jumping on my SS MTB for running errands around town or walking if stuff is close by. I MTB enough that doing some different activities that are lower intensity and less impact on the body is nice. Having a gravel bike should be fun. Enjoy!

My buddy always rides over to me at Seymour from Commercial Drive and then we ride up. I'm always jealous of the extra miles he gets in. I need to start bike commuting to work again.

Jan. 7, 2020, 6:11 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

The danger of too many long rides is that strength and muscle mass suffers.  Whether that's an issue depends on what type of athlete you want to be, but as mtb'ers having some upper body and lower body strength as well as a fair degree of anaerobic power is pretty important when compared to a road rider.

Couldn't agree more. When one trains for say an endurance race. One will do tempo and interval training. I find with time restrictions I usually just ride/run the shore which is mostly like doing intervals. Get super strong but find my endurance is lacking. Doing longer tempo laps really helps increase endurance with the interval laps. Riding from home on the MTB is a start.

Jan. 8, 2020, 7:33 a.m.

Posted by: james-oborne

My buddy always rides over to me at Seymour from Commercial Drive and then we ride up. I'm always jealous of the extra miles he gets in. I need to start bike commuting to work again.

Riding to work is a great idea. Saves you money, lowers stress and builds fitness. Just start small with one day a week on the nicest weather day and go from there.

I'm the earliest riser in my riding group and people aren't fond of 6am ride start times! So riding to the trails the long way gets me extra mileage and an early start plus let's my buddies sleep in! ;-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 8, 2020, 10:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2020, 2:25 p.m.

Start small by riding 10-15 minutes every day. It doesn't have to be anything serious or even on dirt, just get out and pedal around for a bit. After a week of that switch to doing 20 minutes 3-4 times per week and add in some hills, even if they are just short ones of about 5 minutes. By the third week you can start getting out for pedals of 40-60 minutes and probably be able to knock off a mtb climb without too much pain.

Two weeks is all you need to get back into the swing of things. The most important factor is CONSISTENCY, so even if you can't do a full ride during the week at least get out for a hard 15-20 minute pedal. That will be enough activity to keep your fitness high enough that doing a full ride on the weekend won't be a chore.

Edit: the bonus is that it will make the rest of your life better. You'll feel better, time in nature will be good for your soul, the increased blood flow from activity will benefit your brain and boost your smarts and most important of all sex will be better.

You've given me good advice in multiple threads, much appreciated :)

Jan. 8, 2020, 7:15 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

You've given me good advice in multiple threads, much appreciated :)

no worries, I'm happy to help where I can