2020 Fitness Goals

Dec. 31, 2019, 11:06 a.m.

Squat 365/5

Run 10km sub 50 min (ideally sub 45)

Do full No Quarter climb sub 45 min (ideally sub 40)

All in the same week before mid May

Anybody else have any goals for 2020?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 31, 2019, 2:07 p.m.

In the past 3 years I've ridden my mtn bike 3 times and put on 25 pounds.

I should do something about that to be honest...

Dec. 31, 2019, 2:40 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Start small by riding 10-15 minutes every day. It doesn't have to be anything serious or even on dirt, just get out and pedal around for a bit. After a week of that switch to doing 20 minutes 3-4 times per week and add in some hills, even if they are just short ones of about 5 minutes. By the third week you can start getting out for pedals of 40-60 minutes and probably be able to knock off a mtb climb without too much pain.

Two weeks is all you need to get back into the swing of things. The most important factor is CONSISTENCY, so even if you can't do a full ride during the week at least get out for a hard 15-20 minute pedal. That will be enough activity to keep your fitness high enough that doing a full ride on the weekend won't be a chore.

Edit: the bonus is that it will make the rest of your life better. You'll feel better, time in nature will be good for your soul, the increased blood flow from activity will benefit your brain and boost your smarts and most important of all sex will be better.

Last edited by: syncro on Dec. 31, 2019, 2:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 31, 2019, 5:09 p.m.

Isn’t there a thread for true confessions?

Dec. 31, 2019, 8:47 p.m.

I completely fell off the fitness boat a year ago.  I hope this year I get the urge to do it again.

Jan. 1, 2020, 10:47 a.m.

Here are mine, not in any particular order: 

Once more I try to ride more than 5000 km this year. Did not work out in 2019, my back acted up in spring and somehow my summer was a bit weird. 

Commute by bike at least twice a week, thrice would be better. 

No proper goal when it comes to lifting except just keeping going and not stopping, maybe a not-so-smallish standing barbell press in spring, something in the ballpark of 60 to 70 kg for 5. 

A squat with 100kg for 5 would be nice as well (without any back pain and sore legs), currently doing Zercher Squats with 60kg for three sets of 5. 

Basically just keeping going forward and upward slowly. 

The last few years I always did too much, lifting more while trying to ride more. Counting in lots of work (overtime) and my kid on most weekends, and it sounds a bit much. 

So I really have to be careful. 

Other than that...I try to keep experimenting (I get my programming from books and experiment on my own, with a few hints on technique from other solid lifters and coaches) and not do too much.

Jan. 1, 2020, 10:50 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Start small by riding 10-15 minutes every day. It doesn't have to be anything serious or even on dirt, just get out and pedal around for a bit. After a week of that switch to doing 20 minutes 3-4 times per week and add in some hills, even if they are just short ones of about 5 minutes. By the third week you can start getting out for pedals of 40-60 minutes and probably be able to knock off a mtb climb without too much pain.

Two weeks is all you need to get back into the swing of things. The most important factor is CONSISTENCY, so even if you can't do a full ride during the week at least get out for a hard 15-20 minute pedal. That will be enough activity to keep your fitness high enough that doing a full ride on the weekend won't be a chore.

Edit: the bonus is that it will make the rest of your life better. You'll feel better, time in nature will be good for your soul, the increased blood flow from activity will benefit your brain and boost your smarts and most important of all sex will be better.

When my little one (turned 9 in Dec) is with me, we always try and go for at least a 30 min ride just for fun in the woods, nothing too serious. Sometimes with little challenges, such as climbing to that tree or signpost, as slow as possible or as smooth with as little braking as possible, trackstands and bunny hops over branches or small rocks. Good times.

Jan. 2, 2020, 7 a.m.

drop 15 kilos and work on my FTP --- up it to 270-300 Watts (3 Watts per kg bodyweight) (driven by numbers, I am :-D )

Climb my nearest mountain (1000m altitude change) in under 75 minutes (currently 100minutes)

be able to do 10 Pullups, 50 Pushups, run 10km under 50minutes

Jan. 2, 2020, 7:14 p.m.

Wanna wear a tank top that says " you even lift bro?" Over my shredded abs.

Jan. 2, 2020, 11:05 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

But then no one can see your shredded abs.

Jan. 3, 2020, 5:15 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: Brocklanders

But then no one can see your shredded abs.

Half top

Lol

Man I chunked out this last week. Way too many apres beers this with friends at the ski cabin. Hawkins cheezees are my kriptonite....Diet starts Monday

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 3, 2020, 5:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2020, 6:38 p.m.

Hawkins are way better than Cheetos.

Jan. 3, 2020, 7:02 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Hawkins are way better than Cheetos.

Canadian institution.

Jan. 4, 2020, 3:51 a.m.

I love beer and single malts and the occasional bourbon....sigh. 

Other than that I try to "eat like an adult." (Dan John) 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have a couple of pounds too many despite my efforts. LoL. Guess I need to change and up my game.

Jan. 4, 2020, 4:41 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

I love beer and single malts and the occasional bourbon....sigh. 

Other than that I try to "eat like an adult." (Dan John) 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have a couple of pounds too many despite my efforts. LoL. Guess I need to change and up my game.

Just started the no beer/booze for the month of January, going to be hard. Been 2 days and it's killing me. 

Weighed in at 196 this morning. See how fast it melts off in the next few weeks. Wanna get down to 188. Lightest I have been in the last few years is 185 and that was while training for endurance races. 

This is going to be a rough ride with no beers