2016 BMO Marathon

April 18, 2016, 9:02 a.m.

So are you all ready? I dragged my sorry hungover ass around the tricities yesterday but it the last week I completed a 35km long run, 10mile tempo and 2x2mile track reps, a bit late but training is done.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

April 22, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

So are you all ready? I dragged my sorry hungover ass around the tricities yesterday but it the last week I completed a 35km long run, 10mile tempo and 2x2mile track reps, a bit late but training is done.

I did a 25k yesterday and two 10ks and one 15k in the last week since the physio gave me the green light. The 25k was tough but I didn't really have a proper breakfast that day and didn't pack any gels either. I was going for 30 but bonked at the 25 mark.

I was still pretty happy with how I did though. I crossed the half marathon mark at less than two hours which is nearly 30 minutes faster than my last half marathon.

So I think I'll make it through this, I just need to ensure I'm fueled up properly before and during.

www.natooke.com

April 22, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

Believe in yourself. If that doesn't work, distract yourself.

Scientists used to believe that there was a feedback cycle that started in the muscles (with the build up of lactic acid [HTML_REMOVED] such) that would send signals to your brain, and eventually cause you to bonk.

The new hypothesis is the opposite.

There have been studies done with paraplegic's where they hook electrodes up to their brain, which allows them to control a robotic arm to lift or manipulate objects. It turns out they can actually get the test subjects to "bonk" even though they are physically not lifting anything - they are in fact incapable of lifting anything…

So now the hypothesis is that it's the brain that starts the feed back loop, sending signals to your body, causing it to shut-down early in order to conserve energy stores as a survival mechanism.

So when you are tired, and ready to quit, remember that it's your brain trying to sabotage your body.

Apparently the best way to combat this is to distract yourself by focusing on something else. For me, that typically involves math. I'm not strong at math so it takes a lot of concentration. When I feel like crap in a run I start trying to rattle off the Fibonacci sequence as high as I can go.

Give it a shot - and good luck!

April 22, 2016, 10 p.m.

Done 3 full Vancouver marathons over the years. My philosophy is that of Tim Krabbe:

"When you’re really, truly at the end of your rope, shift to a higher gear"

You are so focused on giving your all, your body ignores the pain and exhaustion. I also highly recommend an ice bath when you get home. Fill the tub with some ice and cold water, sit in the tub, kick back and enjoy a few beers that will take away the sting - get in and out of the tub as needed so you don't get frostbite.

Good Luck!

April 23, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

Inspiring stuff guys!!

www.natooke.com

May 2, 2016, 6:45 a.m.

Chip time was 4:24:17.

Were you there clarkee?

www.natooke.com