2016 BMO Marathon

Dec. 11, 2015, 3:26 p.m.

So I signed up for it. Anyone else here doing it?

I'm hoping people in this thread can share marathon experiences and advice on training, nutrition and preparation.
I'm putting my trust into the beginners marathon training program on the Nike app and trying to follow their schedule. It started a month ago and I've been running five times a week since and it's gonna continue in this fashion steadily adding distance for the next few months until May 1st. I also dropped 150 bucks at the run inn in kerrisdale on a pair of shoes. I got a really good vibe from the people there.

Im really stoked to be doing this, training is going well, I'm feeling stronger every run and can't wait for th distances to get longer. I just started reading born to run too.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 16, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

Good luck!

I ran the scotia half in Toronto this year and let me tell you… not training for 6 weeks leading up to it was not a smart thing to do. It's 3 months later and I'm still limping.

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

Dec. 16, 2015, 6:19 p.m.

Just go as hard as you can out of the start and hold on. You will be fine

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 16, 2015, 8:22 p.m.

I just started reading born to run too.

There is a movie on Caballo Blanco that came out this year.

http://www.runfreemovie.com/buy-now/

Grab the other book by the same author Natural Born Heroes.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2015, 9:31 p.m.

I've done the full Vancouver marathon 3 times … I would start my training Jan 1 and do about 15 or 16 weeks of training to be ready by early May.

I used this book for training

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/run-less-run-faster

I liked it because the goal of the Van Marathon was really to get me in shape for Triathlon (my fav is 1/2 Ironman/70.3). Used the book "Run Less Run Faster" to train for the Martahon - it was good in the sense that it mixes things up a lot.

- Its a 16 week (I think) program
- You run 3 times per week, one day tempo/paced run, one day of interval training, one long run
- You supplement these runs with 2 or 3 days of non-running activity (for triathletes its swim or bike or you can just enjoy quality time on the bike instead of doing tedious running miles)
- The long run typically makes up 60-70% of your weekly mileage.
- It forces you to take 1 or 2 days off from training a week.

Maybe not for everyone, but I really enjoyed the balance of being able to choose a non-running activity 4 days of the week. Also, I never suffered any kind of athletic injury of any kind over those years and thousands of km of training.

Dec. 16, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

You might also want to drink plenty of beers the night before and skip breakfast. My first and only time I set new pr's for 10m and half marathon. The last 18km were some what slower

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 16, 2015, 10:38 p.m.

Only other books on training I recommend is Lydiard and Run With More Fire.

Other than that read less on training methods as these days there are so many variations- just check the running section of Chapters. Stick with the plan.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 16, 2015, 10:39 p.m.

You might also want to drink plenty of beers the night before and skip breakfast. My first and only time I set new pr's for 10m and half marathon. The last 18km were some what slower

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That only works in the Ultra Marathon world.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 17, 2015, 5:27 a.m.

I've done the full Vancouver marathon 3 times … I would start my training Jan 1 and do about 15 or 16 weeks of training to be ready by early May.

I used this book for training

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/run-less-run-faster

I liked it because the goal of the Van Marathon was really to get me in shape for Triathlon (my fav is 1/2 Ironman/70.3). Used the book "Run Less Run Faster" to train for the Martahon - it was good in the sense that it mixes things up a lot.

- Its a 16 week (I think) program
- You run 3 times per week, one day tempo/paced run, one day of interval training, one long run
- You supplement these runs with 2 or 3 days of non-running activity (for triathletes its swim or bike or you can just enjoy quality time on the bike instead of doing tedious running miles)
- The long run typically makes up 60-70% of your weekly mileage.
- It forces you to take 1 or 2 days off from training a week.

Maybe not for everyone, but I really enjoyed the balance of being able to choose a non-running activity 4 days of the week. Also, I never suffered any kind of athletic injury of any kind over those years and thousands of km of training.

Some solid advice. I more or less followed the same as above, 3 days a week, temp/interval/endurance. I did the scotiabank 1/2 a couple of times when I was in Vancouver. Fastest was 1:43 or so.

Started training for a marathon, ran 30km a couple of times, got bored, started road biking instead… that was the end of my running.

Dec. 17, 2015, 7:15 a.m.

My advice is to join a running group and find some peeps in that group who are also training for a marathon. It's hard to train alone for long course races and this will get you out to the week night training which is usually track interval workouts, and tempo runs. Then on weekends the bigger distances, building up gradually to race day. There also would be a coach or two to keep you on track, you will have to pay them but trust me its worth it.

Doing it alone is way harder and boring as hell. Too easy to make excuses.
I have done ironman 3 times and the social side keeps it more interesting when you are out there doing 35km runs which seem to take forever.

Good luck

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 18, 2015, 9:12 a.m.

I ran to and from work three times this week. I'm using the program mapped out in the Nike app, pretty similar to Duncan's routine. Packing in about 80k a week.

Saturday after work will be my long run days. Looking forward to mapping out more interesting routes home. I picked up a bag of chia seeds too, anyone else had any results with those?

www.natooke.com

Dec. 18, 2015, 5:58 p.m.

I ran to and from work three times this week. I'm using the program mapped out in the Nike app, pretty similar to Duncan's routine. Packing in about 80k a week.

Saturday after work will be my long run days. Looking forward to mapping out more interesting routes home. I picked up a bag of chia seeds too, anyone else had any results with those?

Never tried chia, but I like dates (medajools, not people you ask to go out with) - nature's powerpacks.

Dec. 18, 2015, 6:33 p.m.

Im gonna come out at such an infeasible pace I'm sure ill be finished before I have any time to feel the burn.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/marathon_do

www.natooke.com

Dec. 18, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

Only other books on training I recommend is Lydiard and Run With More Fire.

Other than that read less on training methods as these days there are so many variations- just check the running section of Chapters. Stick with the plan.

I think the work commuting thing will work well for me, it's 11k one-way and I can always take longer routes back home. I also enjoy point to point trips a lot more than loops.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 19, 2015, 1:46 a.m.

I picked up a bag of chia seeds too, anyone else had any results with those?

I stir teaspoons of chia seeds into about 1/2 cup of sweetened soy milk and refrigerate overnight.

Nice treat and a little bit of staying power due to the protein, but nothing magical. My go to energy food is regular or steel cut oats, I make sure to have a bowl before most rides.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk