2015 New Years fitness resolutions

Jan. 3, 2015, 9:30 p.m.

No, not at all. If you are here, it's because you like bikes. This isn't chips-and-tv.com. If you like bikes, you are so far ahead of everyone else it isn't funny. You are riding bikes and enjoying the time out, you are doing energy systems work.

It's like I go to bodybuilding.com and find ways to do strength training outside of the times I do strength training.

the rest of my post that you didn't quote is far more relevant to what sparkplug was asking about.

We've gone way aways from that.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 9:32 p.m.

the rest of my post that you didn't quote is far more relevant to what sparkplug was asking about.

We've gone way aways from that.

Then don't start with that bullshit sentence. I'm eschewing energy systems work when that is your source of entertainment.

Jan. 3, 2015, 9:56 p.m.

Then don't start with that bullshit sentence. I'm eschewing energy systems work when that is your source of entertainment.

??? not at all sure what you mean by "source of entertainment."

besides, it's not bullshit. your post that sent us down this road provided little context in terms of a training plan not to mention that it did nothing to question what people are doing and what their actual goals are. you know well enough that there are so many variables that come into play that you can't say what someone is doing is enough when you may not even know what it is they are doing. you can't say that just going out and riding is going to be enough without knowing how people are doing that riding and what, if any, goals they may have in relationship to it.

i fully support and advocate the idea of encouraging people to add some sort of strength training into their activity patterns, but let's make it relevant to what they are doing and what their goals are. it's the sentence in bold that i had an issue with in the context of the conversation that was going on.

I still contend the majority here need to do strength training over cardio. If the activities you enjoy doing are energy-system dependent, you're going to cover it while you do it. How are you gaining strength? Pro-tip: It's the exact opposite of what you're doing.

I'm gonna make bone-density cool again.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 10:09 p.m.

??? not at all sure what you mean by "source of entertainment."

besides, it's not bullshit. your post that sent us down this road provided little context in terms of a training plan not to mention that it did nothing to question what people are doing and what their actual goals are. you know well enough that there are so many variables that come into play that you can't say what someone is doing is enough when you may not even know what it is they are doing. you can't say that just going out and riding is going to be enough without knowing how people are doing that riding and what, if any, goals they may have in relationship to it.

i fully support and advocate the idea of encouraging people to add some sort of strength training into their activity patterns, but let's make it relevant to what they are doing and what their goals are. it's the sentence in bold that i had an issue with in the context of the conversation that was going on.

I stand by it in full.

Everything I've said thus far in this thread and my original shit-stirrer post.

Everything I do for fun is energy-systems based. Nothing I do for fun is strength-based. No strength = trouble when you're older.

If you are on NSMB, it's not because you want to pull 600 pounds. It's not because you want Arnie's arms. It's because bikes are fucking awesome.

The relevant thing to people here are the things they aren't doing. Because imbalances suck and they manifest themselves in the inability to do the things they like to do.

I want to do the things I like to do forever, or at least for as long as I'm alive. If I have no bone density or muscle mass, that which I'm not doing anything for while I'm having fun, I won't be able to do it for long.

Jan. 3, 2015, 10:14 p.m.

be more disciplined with my training and riding and do more races and still have fun and enjoy it .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 3, 2015, 10:34 p.m.

I stand by it in full.

Everything I've said thus far in this thread and my original shit-stirrer post.

Everything I do for fun is energy-systems based. Nothing I do for fun is strength-based. No strength = trouble when you're older.

If you are on NSMB, it's not because you want to pull 600 pounds. It's not because you want Arnie's arms. It's because bikes are fucking awesome.

The relevant thing to people here are the things they aren't doing. Because imbalances suck and they manifest themselves in the inability to do the things they like to do.

I want to do the things I like to do forever, or at least for as long as I'm alive. If I have no bone density or muscle mass, that which I'm not doing anything for while I'm having fun, I won't be able to do it for long.

that's all great for you and i agree with most of it, but i still see a disconnect on what you offered when the question was about getting faster on the bike, improving cardio endurance and being able to keep up on rides.

i'm not sure why you're getting so riled up when all i'm saying is that we should make some attempt to qualify the info we share. i disagree with saying "If the activities you enjoy doing are energy-system dependent, you're going to cover it while you do it." to draw a parallel if someone says they want to get stronger in the weightroom simply telling them that as long as they are weightlifting they are going to cover it is not sound advice.

edit

got you on "source of entertainment", i read that as something else.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 10:42 p.m.

be more disciplined with my training and riding and do more races and still have fun and enjoy it .

creating and maintaining a training log book will go a long way towards helping yuo be more disciplined.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 10:50 p.m.

I'm not riled up in the slightest. It's all too easy to read animosity in online exchanges, so I don't know what to say other than, no, all good.

Here is what I've been trying to get across.

No one really knows the demo of NSMB, but if I were forced to guess it was a bunch of people with real jobs making a decent living who all like bikes.

The most salient point is that we have an especially finite amount of time available to us.

That said what's more important, getting a top 25 on a Strava climb or spending twenty times a year in the gym building strength so when I make a stupid mistake on the trail I have some bone density to support my misfortune?

Everyone needs to work on strength as much as they work on energy systems.

Jan. 3, 2015, 11:09 p.m.

I'm not riled up in the slightest. It's all too easy to read animosity in online exchanges, so I don't know what to say other than, no, all good.

Here is what I've been trying to get across.

No one really knows the demo of NSMB, but if I were forced to guess it was a bunch of people with real jobs making a decent living who all like bikes.

The most salient point is that we have an especially finite amount of time available to us.

all good and i agree to this point.

That said what's more important, getting a top 25 on a Strava climb or spending twenty times a year in the gym building strength so when I make a stupid mistake on the trail I have some bone density to support my misfortune?

Everyone needs to work on strength as much as they work on energy systems.

in regards to this question i have to say i don't know as the answer to that is dependant on the individual and their situation; and that's my point. without knowing what someone is doing do you think it's fair to tell them what they should be doing? let's find out what someone is doing first and then create a plan to help them move forward from there.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 11:24 p.m.

in regards to this question i have to say i don't know as the answer to that is dependant on the individual and their situation;

In my opinion, this only matters if you're going to get filthy-rich sponsored. Otherwise, we're all the same *.

• In which point, they need someone to tell them how to gain general strength, because they will have no idea how to.
Jan. 3, 2015, 11:34 p.m.

In my opinion, this only matters if you're going to get filthy-rich sponsored. Otherwise, we're all the same *.

• In which point, they need someone to tell them how to gain general strength, because they will have no idea how to.

you missed my point.

specifically, in the case of sparkplug you made the assumption that she does no strength training and is not aware of the benefits. generally, you're also making that assumption. hence, me asking the question "without knowing what someone is doing do you think it's fair to tell them what they should be doing?"

Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 11:36 p.m.

we must be the only ones here, i'm surprised there's been no obligatory "you two need to get a room" comment by now.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 3, 2015, 11:41 p.m.

specifically, in the case of sparkplug you made the assumption that she does no strength training and is not aware of the benefits. generally, you're also making that assumption. hence, me asking the question "without knowing what someone is doing do you think it's fair to tell them what they should be doing?"

No, I know SparkPlug is one of the few that lifts on here. I'm guessing this bit of knowledge wasn't present at some crucial point.

Jan. 3, 2015, 11:42 p.m.

we must be the only ones here, i'm surprised there's been no obligatory "you two need to get a room" comment by now.

When it comes to picking up things and putting them down I always assume it's just gonna be you and me.

Jan. 4, 2015, 1:46 a.m.

Wow, I go to work for a bit and look what happens, lol!!

So, I'm getting mixed messages- don't spin, ride more; lift more, I'm already getting esd…

Is there a consensus?

Here's a bit of background to help. According to most strength standards, I qualify as strong; meeting or exceeding the strength goals for women; for eg. 1.6xBW deadlifts (1 rep max). I strength train irregularly but seem to remain strong. I will continue to strength train as it has so many benefits such as preventing bone density loss, injury prevention, being able to manhandle my dirt bike when I get in predicaments (lol) etc.

I have tried just riding more and that doesn't seem to help my pedalling fitness. I did a cycling program last year and although I was able to ride a bit longer and marginally faster in a few places, I am still ridiculously slow. It seems like very casual riders drop me easily. I can keep pace on a steep short section if I'm rested but get dropped even on flat road sections.

The tough part (or excuse) for me is that I don't dedicate enough time strictly to gaining pedalling fitness. I ride uphill mainly to go down. I also ride dh, moto, trials, ski, trail build, hike with the dog daily, do yoga, and then work long hours of shift work, often running on minimal sleep when working. My reality is that 2 sessions on a stationary bike and 2 weight training sessions per week is the most I can do when I get serious about training.
Should I just accept that this isn't enough to become a faster, fitter climber or is there hope?