20 days to a fitter and healthier you

June 4, 2022, 10:03 a.m.

10,000 kettlebell swings in 20 days - written by someone who knows their stuff

https://www.t-nation.com/training/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 6, 2022, 6:13 a.m.

This has been on my to do list since it first came out, but scared of it because that is quite a whopper, and the technique better be solid, along with a body who should be able to do 100 swings with the appropriate weight in 10 min or less, otherwise it wrecks the body, I think. And at least in my body there are enough results of stupidity in action.

I started to do some swings as part of my shoulders rehab (pt said everything lats and traps is great), and plan on doing the 10 000 swings workout in August or September, basically until my shoulder is almost fully healed and my body can take the punch. Until then, prepping the body and honing my technique and output by low volume swings (50 to 100) 3 to 5 days a week.

Last edited by: Mic on June 6, 2022, 8:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 6, 2022, 7:33 a.m.

The problem with "get fit in 20 days" programs like this is you actually need to keep going after the 20 days are over.

June 6, 2022, 7:59 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

The problem with "get fit in 20 days" programs like this is you actually need to keep going after the 20 days are over.

Some people need to start first, and then keep going. This is not for beginners. 

Dan John, the inventor of this program, says that in the end one would be ready for Wendler's 5/3/2 program or any other result-oriented programming. This is for people who consider themselves "athletes", not the typical gym goer who wants showy arms and a big bench.

I think this program really "ups" the engine.

8 years ago I prepped 7 days of technical alpine MTB riding (avg of 50km and 1.5k of climbing, no rest days) with a kettlebell snatch program by Kenneth Jay. I was surprised at my ability to ride every day and not get sore, still am. Solid nutrition, almost no alcohol and enough sleep and hot/cold showers each day played a part as well, of course.

Last edited by: Mic on June 6, 2022, 8 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 6, 2022, 12:02 p.m.

As someone who has never been to the gym in his entire life and is now pushing 40, basically no gym budget, I have no idea where to start. Everywhere I read that home setups can be dangerous cuz of bad form, or they're hard to get a balanced workout, or that weights are expensive, I have no friends that work out so no real support group for advice.

Anyone do home workouts and have some advice? I've heard kettle bells are good cuz they're low impact..? I dunno lol

June 6, 2022, 12:12 p.m.

If you committed to doing a simple KB routine of 3-4 exercises for about 20 minutes 5 days/week you'd be shocked at the difference it would make.

I can find a good resource for you or put something together later this afternoon.

June 6, 2022, 4:17 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

As someone who has never been to the gym in his entire life and is now pushing 40, basically no gym budget, I have no idea where to start. Everywhere I read that home setups can be dangerous cuz of bad form, or they're hard to get a balanced workout, or that weights are expensive, I have no friends that work out so no real support group for advice.

Anyone do home workouts and have some advice? I've heard kettle bells are good cuz they're low impact..? I dunno lol

These links are all decent. Two are more involved but it all depends what you're looking for. In terms of getting started the one kettlebell workout is easy and low cost as you only need one KB. The other two links would be good progression from there.

https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/

https://www.dragondoor.com/the_whys_and_hows_of_the_one_kettlebell_workout/

http://danjohn.net/wp-content/uploads/cpkc.pdf

Last edited by: syncro on June 6, 2022, 4:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 6, 2022, 8:02 p.m.

Amazing, thank you so much! I'll check them out :)

June 8, 2022, 12:01 p.m.

The good thing about Dan John's work is that he does not do this "no pain, no gain" crap but focuses on actually improving any quality, and he is fun to read with some truly great statements and wisdom. 

Today, while swinging and working on my movements to get that shoulder going again (and to de-stress from work), I thought that since an athlete's ego should not be in the way while training, it would be a good and simple idea to simply up the swing volume in my sessions until I can easily swing that 24 for volume (bigger sets than 10x10)....and then give the 10,000 swing program a try. And I am really surprised that I am not sore from 3 days of swings and inverted rows and planks after not having done any work at all for almost three months.

June 9, 2022, 12:01 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

The good thing about Dan John's work is that he does not do this "no pain, no gain" crap but focuses on actually improving any quality, and he is fun to read with some truly great statements and wisdom. 

Today, while swinging and working on my movements to get that shoulder going again (and to de-stress from work), I thought that since an athlete's ego should not be in the way while training, it would be a good and simple idea to simply up the swing volume in my sessions until I can easily swing that 24 for volume (bigger sets than 10x10)....and then give the 10,000 swing program a try. And I am really surprised that I am not sore from 3 days of swings and inverted rows and planks after not having done any work at all for almost three months.

how heavy was the kettlebell you started with?

June 9, 2022, 12:42 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Mic

how heavy was the kettlebell you started with?

Never went heavier than 24, started with a 16 one - and was quite too timid and careful because of a ruptured disc L5S1. But that is some time ago. Bought a 32 at the beginning of the year. First, healing an inflamed supraspinatus (which has been a wrecker of the season so far).

Last edited by: Mic on June 10, 2022, 3:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 10, 2022, 2:25 a.m.

This is a great article that fits here  I think: 

https://www.dragondoor.com/articles/on-constant-weight-training/

June 19, 2022, 11:14 a.m.

LOL , reading and laughing at how fast it went to essentially my view of fitness is better than your view.  Reality is some out there this program will work great for and others not so much. The "best" program is the one that works for you.

June 19, 2022, 12:08 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Ok....first off at least half of that stuff is crap about home set ups are dangerous. Bit of history  I learned to lift in my parents basement on a Weider bench with those vinyl covered concrete weights. Technique wise well as I recall the program and how to do the exercise explanation always emphasized strict and controlled form.  And now decades later still follow that mentality.  It is only really dangerous if you act like an idiot.

Want to train at home ? Go for it. There is a huge world now of people out there who not only train at home but have created solutions to in some cases make their own equipment because they don't have a big budget.  And alot of people started training and doing their own home gym during the restrictions because had nothing to do.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/228662008334936

https://www.facebook.com/kaizendiygym

Equipment wise you can start with simply some dumbells and a bench.  And add on from there.  Took me a long time to get to what have now. 

June 19, 2022, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

LOL , reading and laughing at how fast it went to essentially my view of fitness is better than your view.  Reality is some out there this program will work great for and others not so much. The "best" program is the one that works for you.

Interesting, I never read or understood the thread like you apparently did, tbh.