100 pull ups

June 25, 2015, 12:12 a.m.

So, I found an article on t-nation.com about building a stronger back. I can do a fair number of pull ups but the article says to do 100 in as many sets to get there and alternate over hand, under hand, neutral, wide grips etc.

So, I blasted off 25 and figured it would be easy… Will I was done at just over 50.

Next back day, did 15, then 10, 10, 10, 8 etc and made 100 eventually. It made me reconsider rest/pause training and total volume and time under tension.

I have been training to failure, but possibly to the detriment of size and gains.

So far, I am liking the routine and it is s fair amount of work. But, I am hopeful for the payoff.

June 25, 2015, 12:35 a.m.

I'm trying to get into pull-ups but I'm still too weak to do more than 10 in a day. I'm still focusing on just doing negatives. It's a little frustrating but even with the lead in exercises to pull up training I can feel myself getting stronger faster than by picking things up and putting them down again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGoGFsLi1Q

www.natooke.com

June 25, 2015, 6:28 a.m.

Since pull ups are a bodyweight exercise, your weight will affect the intensity of and number of pullups you can do. Someone who is 160 lbs could have a huge power-to-weight ratio advantage over someone who weighs 220.

June 25, 2015, 6:54 a.m.

Since pull ups are a bodyweight exercise, your weight will affect the intensity of and number of pullups you can do. Someone who is 160 lbs could have a huge power-to-weight ratio advantage over someone who weighs 220.

As a 6'5 tall guy, I agree with this. I'll also add arm length, and overall body leverage ratio's factor in alot as well.

I used to be big into chin-up, pull-ups. I built a bar in my garage just to practice. I found it to be really hard on my rib joints and have had to stop. Some of this could be blamed on my broken scapula/ old scar tissue. Anyone else have problems with pull-ups?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

June 25, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

Certainly body weight and geometry etc. factors in. When I was 202lbs, I could still do 12. But, as one get's lighter the work gets easier.

The more interesting factor was that when I went out hard and did 25 in a row I couldn't finish 50. But, when I started at 10 reps, I made the full 100. It was hard to complete, but my workload increased by 100%.

Just an observation on volume, work and time under tension.

I am going to revise my whole training regimen for the next three months and see what results, if any, that I get.

June 25, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

I am going to revise my whole training regimen for the next three months and see what results, if any, that I get.

Then you gotta move onto muscle ups! There are these guys in the gym (I think they are African track athletes) who do them in warm-ups on a chin-up bar seemingly with the same amount of effort it takes me to do push-ups.

June 25, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

Then you gotta move onto muscle ups! There are these guys in the gym (I think they are African track athletes) who do them in warm-ups on a chin-up bar seemingly with the same amount of effort it takes me to do push-ups.

I don't know if I can bust out the muscle up, but I aim to try! It's a bad ass body weight move.

June 25, 2015, 1:06 p.m.

Certainly body weight and geometry etc. factors in. When I was 202lbs, I could still do 12. But, as one get's lighter the work gets easier.

The more interesting factor was that when I went out hard and did 25 in a row I couldn't finish 50. But, when I started at 10 reps, I made the full 100. It was hard to complete, but my workload increased by 100%.

Just an observation on volume, work and time under tension.

there's a training idea known as not blowing your load on your first set. doing that dramatically shortens your workout, as will training to failure. i don't if it's more a function of neural fatigue, physical fatigue or a combination of the two.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 25, 2015, 1:48 p.m.

there's a training idea known as not blowing your load on your first set. doing that dramatically shortens your workout, as will training to failure. i don't if it's more a function of neural fatigue, physical fatigue or a combination of the two.

Sure, I am aware of rest-pause etc. I was surprised just how dramatically it fell off. Very surprising as most exercises 4 sets of what ever is normal then on to the next one. Holding on for 100 was harder than I expected.

I am sure that mixing up the volume/intensity has it's benefits, I just need to be more aware of it in other exercises.

June 25, 2015, 4:36 p.m.

Sure, I am aware of rest-pause etc. I was surprised just how dramatically it fell off. Very surprising as most exercises 4 sets of what ever is normal then on to the next one. Holding on for 100 was harder than I expected.

I am sure that mixing up the volume/intensity has it's benefits, I just need to be more aware of it in other exercises.

yeah, how dramatic of a drop off there is will probably depend a fair bit on the specific exercise. i've noticed the same thing on chin-ups and now make a point of only doing about 70% of the reps i could do on my first set and i get better results.

do you add weight to your chin-ups/pull-ups?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 25, 2015, 4:46 p.m.

Nothing worse than seeing someone belt out 10 chin ups and never getting past the right-angle between their forearm and their bicep.

Almost as bad as curling in the squat rack.

Can confirm if I try and max out my first set of chins I'm broken afterwards. Pretty much the only exercise for me that does that.

June 25, 2015, 4:50 p.m.

i so badly want to find out what gym you train at just so i can come in and do curls in the squat rack.

Ellen Langer

June 25, 2015, 5:04 p.m.

i so badly want to find out what gym you train at just so i can come in and do curls in the squat rack.

I'll give you the most passive-agressive look you've seen in your life.

June 25, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

do you add weight to your chin-ups/pull-ups?

I do from time-to-time. I need a new belt though. I can add about 50lbs and not hurt myself. I developed tendonitis in my forearm/biceps last year over doing pull ups.

June 25, 2015, 5:46 p.m.

Nothing worse than seeing someone belt out 10 chin ups and never getting past the right-angle between their forearm and their bicep.

Can confirm if I try and max out my first set of chins I'm broken afterwards. Pretty much the only exercise for me that does that.

You're a big guy, I am not surprised.