100 pull ups

June 25, 2015, 12:12 a.m.

So, I found an article on t-nation.com about building a stronger back. I can do a fair number of pull ups but the article says to do 100 in as many sets to get there and alternate over hand, under hand, neutral, wide grips etc.

So, I blasted off 25 and figured it would be easy… Will I was done at just over 50.

Next back day, did 15, then 10, 10, 10, 8 etc and made 100 eventually. It made me reconsider rest/pause training and total volume and time under tension.

I have been training to failure, but possibly to the detriment of size and gains.

So far, I am liking the routine and it is s fair amount of work. But, I am hopeful for the payoff.

June 25, 2015, 12:35 a.m.

I'm trying to get into pull-ups but I'm still too weak to do more than 10 in a day. I'm still focusing on just doing negatives. It's a little frustrating but even with the lead in exercises to pull up training I can feel myself getting stronger faster than by picking things up and putting them down again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kGoGFsLi1Q

www.natooke.com

June 25, 2015, 6:28 a.m.

Since pull ups are a bodyweight exercise, your weight will affect the intensity of and number of pullups you can do. Someone who is 160 lbs could have a huge power-to-weight ratio advantage over someone who weighs 220.

June 25, 2015, 6:54 a.m.

Since pull ups are a bodyweight exercise, your weight will affect the intensity of and number of pullups you can do. Someone who is 160 lbs could have a huge power-to-weight ratio advantage over someone who weighs 220.

As a 6'5 tall guy, I agree with this. I'll also add arm length, and overall body leverage ratio's factor in alot as well.

I used to be big into chin-up, pull-ups. I built a bar in my garage just to practice. I found it to be really hard on my rib joints and have had to stop. Some of this could be blamed on my broken scapula/ old scar tissue. Anyone else have problems with pull-ups?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

June 25, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

Certainly body weight and geometry etc. factors in. When I was 202lbs, I could still do 12. But, as one get's lighter the work gets easier.

The more interesting factor was that when I went out hard and did 25 in a row I couldn't finish 50. But, when I started at 10 reps, I made the full 100. It was hard to complete, but my workload increased by 100%.

Just an observation on volume, work and time under tension.

I am going to revise my whole training regimen for the next three months and see what results, if any, that I get.

June 25, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

I am going to revise my whole training regimen for the next three months and see what results, if any, that I get.

Then you gotta move onto muscle ups! There are these guys in the gym (I think they are African track athletes) who do them in warm-ups on a chin-up bar seemingly with the same amount of effort it takes me to do push-ups.

June 25, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

Then you gotta move onto muscle ups! There are these guys in the gym (I think they are African track athletes) who do them in warm-ups on a chin-up bar seemingly with the same amount of effort it takes me to do push-ups.

I don't know if I can bust out the muscle up, but I aim to try! It's a bad ass body weight move.

June 25, 2015, 1:06 p.m.

Certainly body weight and geometry etc. factors in. When I was 202lbs, I could still do 12. But, as one get's lighter the work gets easier.

The more interesting factor was that when I went out hard and did 25 in a row I couldn't finish 50. But, when I started at 10 reps, I made the full 100. It was hard to complete, but my workload increased by 100%.

Just an observation on volume, work and time under tension.

there's a training idea known as not blowing your load on your first set. doing that dramatically shortens your workout, as will training to failure. i don't if it's more a function of neural fatigue, physical fatigue or a combination of the two.

context is everything

June 25, 2015, 1:48 p.m.

there's a training idea known as not blowing your load on your first set. doing that dramatically shortens your workout, as will training to failure. i don't if it's more a function of neural fatigue, physical fatigue or a combination of the two.

Sure, I am aware of rest-pause etc. I was surprised just how dramatically it fell off. Very surprising as most exercises 4 sets of what ever is normal then on to the next one. Holding on for 100 was harder than I expected.

I am sure that mixing up the volume/intensity has it's benefits, I just need to be more aware of it in other exercises.

June 25, 2015, 4:36 p.m.

Sure, I am aware of rest-pause etc. I was surprised just how dramatically it fell off. Very surprising as most exercises 4 sets of what ever is normal then on to the next one. Holding on for 100 was harder than I expected.

I am sure that mixing up the volume/intensity has it's benefits, I just need to be more aware of it in other exercises.

yeah, how dramatic of a drop off there is will probably depend a fair bit on the specific exercise. i've noticed the same thing on chin-ups and now make a point of only doing about 70% of the reps i could do on my first set and i get better results.

do you add weight to your chin-ups/pull-ups?

context is everything

June 25, 2015, 4:46 p.m.

Nothing worse than seeing someone belt out 10 chin ups and never getting past the right-angle between their forearm and their bicep.

Almost as bad as curling in the squat rack.

Can confirm if I try and max out my first set of chins I'm broken afterwards. Pretty much the only exercise for me that does that.

June 25, 2015, 4:50 p.m.

i so badly want to find out what gym you train at just so i can come in and do curls in the squat rack.

context is everything

June 25, 2015, 5:04 p.m.

i so badly want to find out what gym you train at just so i can come in and do curls in the squat rack.

I'll give you the most passive-agressive look you've seen in your life.

June 25, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

do you add weight to your chin-ups/pull-ups?

I do from time-to-time. I need a new belt though. I can add about 50lbs and not hurt myself. I developed tendonitis in my forearm/biceps last year over doing pull ups.

June 25, 2015, 5:46 p.m.

Nothing worse than seeing someone belt out 10 chin ups and never getting past the right-angle between their forearm and their bicep.

Can confirm if I try and max out my first set of chins I'm broken afterwards. Pretty much the only exercise for me that does that.

You're a big guy, I am not surprised.