10 Things I Want My Daughter To Know About Exercise

Nov. 29, 2013, 5:11 p.m.

Overall I liked it. Not sure why the article had to be aimed at females, though. Sounds like good advice for anyone.

Probably because the general perception is that women go to the gym to look pretty because they have body image issues.

As opposed to the men who tie up the squat rack doing horrifying shrugs and spend an hour on a cable machine working their arms to make their barbed wire tattoo bulge.

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 29, 2013, 5:40 p.m.

It's hard to explain. But how we treat girls and daughters when it comes to this stuff is night and day.

Great example…after school bunch from Gabi's Grade 1 class like to gather and run playing tag and such at the school. When it comes to the you know..kids wrestling on the ground like we did back in the day at school. So many of the girls mothers are to their daughter going on about stay off the grass, you will get dirty. Don't hear that from the boys parents.

I am pretty much the only parent who let's their daughter do that. Gabi holds her own. To me if it is okay for the boys in her class to wrestle and rough house while playing she is just as capable of doing it.

Our experience is different where we live. Girls do what girls want. But I think most of us with daughters here put the effort in to let them know that some people think girls should only do girly things and we discuss how stupid that is.

Nov. 29, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

Our experience is different where we live. Girls do what girls want. But I think most of us with daughters here put the effort in to let them know that some people think girls should only do girly things and we discuss how stupid that is.

Wasn't till she went to Kindergarten that she was told she couldn't play with toy cars or dump trucks. According to to the adults…. Those where boys toys and girls don't play with boys toys.

Had a meeting with the teacher wife and I about that one.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 3, 2013, 5:22 p.m.

I am surprised by how hard it is not to fall into the girl/ boy trap. All I want from my kids when they are doing 'sports' is that they have fun, and (it's cliche but) give it their all.

Not sure if it is because my daughter is quite a bit more assertive than her older brother, but I find I need to suppress the psycho hockey dad urge way more with my son.

Being a competitive person and a parent sometimes does not mix well.

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:23 p.m.

As riders most of us "Get it" about the benefits of riding and having fun on our bikes. It's no secret that this is a sport dominated by men. I don't imagine more than 20% of the riders are women. Unfortunately many women are influenced by the image of women portrayed by the media and this trickles down to our daughters. My daughter has recently become a "Teacher on Call'. She has always been athletic, playing many sports and spending 5 years on the University soccer team. She is an avid Mountain biker and has found that it does "Open doors" and help her network with people in her new career. I have found both kinds of cycling (Mountain and Road) to be inclusive and the people are happy to reach out to other members of the biking clan. Encourage your daughters to get out and ride. Go the gym on bad weather days. Enjoy a lifetime of better health and well being!

Dec. 10, 2013, 11:32 p.m.

I am surprised by how hard it is not to fall into the girl/ boy trap. All I want from my kids when they are doing 'sports' is that they have fun, and (it's cliche but) give it their all.

Not sure if it is because my daughter is quite a bit more assertive than her older brother, but I find I need to suppress the psycho hockey dad urge way more with my son.

Being a competitive person and a parent sometimes does not mix well.

I believe we have it ingrained in our society about women when it women when it comes to exercise.

One of Gabi's friends mom was competing in those sailboats…like the one's at the Olympics. And is still involved. The women go all the time to the hospital with cuts needing stitches, bruises , and such. She says…they could be pulled straight off the boat in full gear…life jacket and such. And soon after arrival someone will start asking about her husband or boyfriend… must be hitting her.

Yep…how dare a woman have bruises from a sport or recreation activity.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/