1-minute workouts. Lets hear about them.

April 20, 2014, 2:52 p.m.

OK sounds like a scam, but there are lots of things you can do in a few minutes that makes a lie of "I have NO time to exercise". No props, weights etc needed. Just a space big enough to let you do what you do. (Also called Ghetto workouts or prison cell workouts). If you know 'em, lets hear 'em.

I'll start …

Pushups-to-exhaustion, three sets before noon. (Inspired by a YouTube video).

I used to have the goal of doing 100 pushups a day, didn't matter if it took me 10 sets of 10 or 100 at a time. I'd work my way up and figure it out. Eventually, I'd bang out about 3 equal 30-35 pushup sets a day every day.

Once I was comfortable with that, I'd try to do as many pushups in a row as I could. Once that peaked, I started to see how many I could do in 60 seconds. Now I'm up to about 75 in 60 seconds.

Now I'm doing 75 pushups over 1 minute 3 times each morning with rest in between. So I take a minute after I wake up to do the first set, usually the second set before I leave for work, and then the third set in a minute before I eat my lunch.

So that's 225 pushups in 3 minutes and feeling great before lunch.

I like pushups a lot … I think they are very underrated as an exercise (biceps, triceps, lats, trapaezius, deltoids). If you do enough of them, you start to feel it in your core because you are actually doing a plank. I also think they are a highly functional bodyweight exercise. You can also vary the position, location and placement of your hands if you get bored.

April 20, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

Sprint up a hill.

If you love pushups, you should grab a band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-rWx0Ujzo

April 20, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

SEVEN MINUTE ABS!

April 20, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

2-3 sets of 10-15 reps of goblet squats with whatever you've got around the house to add some weight (I use my child). Go deep.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

April 20, 2014, 6:11 p.m.

OK sounds like a scam, but there are lots of things you can do in a few minutes that makes a lie of "I have NO time to exercise". No props, weights etc needed. Just a space big enough to let you do what you do. (Also called Ghetto workouts or prison cell workouts). If you know 'em, lets hear 'em.

I'll start …

Pushups-to-exhaustion, three sets before noon. (Inspired by a YouTube video).

I used to have the goal of doing 100 pushups a day, didn't matter if it took me 10 sets of 10 or 100 at a time. I'd work my way up and figure it out. Eventually, I'd bang out about 3 equal 30-35 pushup sets a day every day.

Once I was comfortable with that, I'd try to do as many pushups in a row as I could. Once that peaked, I started to see how many I could do in 60 seconds. Now I'm up to about 75 in 60 seconds.

Now I'm doing 75 pushups over 1 minute 3 times each morning with rest in between. So I take a minute after I wake up to do the first set, usually the second set before I leave for work, and then the third set in a minute before I eat my lunch.

So that's 225 pushups in 3 minutes and feeling great before lunch.

I like pushups a lot … I think they are very underrated as an exercise (biceps, triceps, lats, trapaezius, deltoids). If you do enough of them, you start to feel it in your core because you are actually doing a plank. I also think they are a highly functional bodyweight exercise. You can also vary the position, location and placement of your hands if you get bored.

Now do them slowly. 3 seconds on the downward movement and then 3 seconds on the upward movement, with as little stop at the top and bottom as possible.

Explosive and fast is easy when your doing pushups…and for most exercises. Plus, generally speaking, technique goes to shit with rapid movements and most people will rely more on their stronger/dominant side and use momentum instead of muscle to do the work.

Go slow. Get a band or put some weight on your back. Go down til your an inch or less off the ground without actually touching. Then do sets slowly with your arms at different widths.

April 20, 2014, 9:15 p.m.

-burpees.

-go from cross legged sitting to a handstand by planting your hands and rotating up.

-one legged deep squats, slow.

-plank.

-get an ab wheel

-burpees.

April 20, 2014, 9:44 p.m.

Great minds think alike. I used to do 100+ pushups/day in three consecutive sets. Easy to do just before jumping in the shower or to start the day.

Lately I've been doing 100-ups a few times a week. Although more of a running form/technique drill than strength/endurance.

https://www.irunfar.com/2014/04/dynamic-core-stability-the-100-up-reloaded.html

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 20, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

One minute workout?

Break one off and go back to sleep.

/thread

Pastor of Muppets

April 21, 2014, 5:30 a.m.

Explosive and fast is easy when your doing pushups…and for most exercises. Plus, generally speaking, technique goes to shit with rapid movements and most people will rely more on their stronger/dominant side and use momentum instead of muscle to do the work.

Depends on your goals. I'm specifically working on explosive arm movements for those 3 minutes because it benefits my riding. Slow movements are good too, for building strength, recruiting more muscle fiber and for joint stability but that's another session. One-arm pushups are a good check for left/right balance.

April 22, 2014, 5:51 p.m.

Came across this pushup article today. Thought you might enjoy.

April 22, 2014, 7:47 p.m.

Like I said, technique. Fast generally equals sloppy and easy.

April 22, 2014, 8:03 p.m.

any exercise routine is only as good as the posture used thru out the movement so fast does not generally equal sloppy and easy .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 22, 2014, 8:04 p.m.

Even if it is sloppy, that sloppy form might actually have some carryover when one is flying down Afternoon Delight and misjudges the first big rock and is close to eating ones handlebars, no?

Would you agree that the article goes further into pushups than instructing one to go slow with different hand-width?

April 23, 2014, 5:55 a.m.

Yeah, lots of enlightening info and details … but who would have thought pushups could be such an anal-retentive activity? Lots to digest and think about, but I've been around long enough to know that last year's fitness/health advice often ends up being next year's punchline.

April 23, 2014, 8:03 a.m.

Even if it is sloppy, that sloppy form might actually have some carryover when one is flying down Afternoon Delight and misjudges the first big rock and is close to eating ones handlebars, no?

Not necessarily, especially if you're favouring your dominant side, and using your hips to make your fast pushups sloppy. Which is why I mentioned technique previously.

Would you agree that the article goes further into pushups than instructing one to go slow with different hand-width?

Yes. The article goes further than "go slow with different hand-width". It also notes technique, as did I.

I'm not going to type an entire article for ya. You're a big boy, you can operate the google. I was just pointing you in the right direction with a couple of things to watch for.

Enjoy your pushups. Apparently you want to be told what you're doing is just great, when in fact it isn't necessarily. If you really want to learn, then accepting that the way that you're currently operating is not optimal…as noted by the article.

You're choice. Makes no difference to me. You asked for 1 minute workouts and posted this thread, it appears you didn't like what you heard, and don't want to learn or change. Keep on keeping on.