1-minute workouts. Lets hear about them.

April 23, 2014, 8:11 a.m.

^^^

that's a bit of an FU attitude considering all you offered was go slow and use good technique.

i'd also counter your assertion that explosive is easier than slow - it depends on what criteria you're using to define easier.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 23, 2014, 8:35 a.m.

Not necessarily, especially if you're favouring your dominant side, and using your hips to make your fast pushups sloppy. Which is why I mentioned technique previously.

Yes. The article goes further than "go slow with different hand-width". It also notes technique, as did I.

I'm not going to type an entire article for ya. You're a big boy, you can operate the google. I was just pointing you in the right direction with a couple of things to watch for.

Enjoy your pushups. Apparently you want to be told what you're doing is just great, when in fact it isn't necessarily. If you really want to learn, then accepting that the way that you're currently operating is not optimal…as noted by the article.

You're choice. Makes no difference to me. You asked for 1 minute workouts and posted this thread, it appears you didn't like what you heard, and don't want to learn or change. Keep on keeping on.

Ease up governor, you've confused two people as one.

To recap:

Duncan, the original poster of this thread is not me. He posted his one-minute pushup routine and sought input from others if they have similar routines. In the spirit of community I posted a comprehensive article on pushups that may be of interest to him. At some point in this lengthy process you took offense.

If I have caused you shame, my apologies.

April 23, 2014, 9:58 a.m.

Ease up governor, you've confused two people as one.

To recap:

Duncan, the original poster of this thread is not me. He posted his one-minute pushup routine and sought input from others if they have similar routines. In the spirit of community I posted a comprehensive article on pushups that may be of interest to him. At some point in this lengthy process you took offense.

If I have caused you shame, my apologies.

Sorry for the poster confusion.

To Clarify:
The article you posted is a good one, which focuses on technique and placing your hands in different positions to achieve results. Are the people in the article suggesting you do pushups at a rate of 75 per minute as Duncan does? No.

I take no offense. I hope Duncan learns from this thread.

I don't necessarily agree with your assertion that [Even if it is sloppy, that sloppy form might actually have some carryover when one is flying down Afternoon Delight and misjudges the first big rock and is close to eating ones handlebars, no?] for the reasons I stated previously.

Hope that clarifies.

Generally speaking, any activity is good if you are completely inactive. But if you want to get the most from an exercise in a limited time frame (as it seems was the point of Duncan's OP), then good technique, generally improved by going slower, is more effective in creating balanced strength.

Explosive training has a definite benefit; however, even better technique is required for explosive training to avoid injury or favoring a strong side. So doing it slowly and getting technique ingrained is an important foundational step.

tldr;

Go slow, use proper technique, change your hand positioning,… like both the article and I said previously.

Have fun.

April 23, 2014, 10:10 a.m.

you need to define slow in terms of time/tempo.
i agree with you that good technique shuold be at the foundation of one's training principles, but imo you're putting far too much empahsis on training slow which is counterproductive to an athlete's goals.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 23, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

you need to define slow in terms of time/tempo.
i agree with you that good technique shuold be at the foundation of one's training principles, but imo you're putting far too much empahsis on training slow which is counterproductive to an athlete's goals.

Duncan put the emphasis/focus on training fast. 75 pushups in 60 seconds. IME he needs to slow down, thus the focus on him training more slowly, as per my previous posts directed at Duncan's pushup numbers.

If Duncan is doing 75 pushups per minute as he stated, he is not going slow on the up or the down, and is likely using poor technique. Fast is not good, unless you have really good technique as a foundation, like I said previously. Because he is doing his pushups so fast, I suggested, in previous posts, that he slow them down and specified a time/tempo. I did define time/tempo as 3 seconds, as per my previous posts at the beginning of this thread

In previous posts, I recommended he go slow on up and the down (3 seconds), and focus on technique instead of speed, and to change hand positions. Which is what the article posted about pushups suggests.

See here (using squats as an example): http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/tempo-training-build-size-strength

"Research shows that the positive portion of a rep (the lifting of the weight) should be done as fast as possible to engage the greatest number of muscle fibers and build strength, speed and size. It also suggests that just the opposite should be done for the negative, or lowering, phase of a rep.

Slow It Down

Try slowing down the eccentric part of every rep. Focusing on controlled rep speed is known as tempo, or time under tension, training; and the benefits are numerous. Making muscles work longer under high tension creates more muscle trauma, leading to greater muscle growth in response. It also poses a challenge to your stability and core strength, as you[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re being forced to remain upright with a rigid torso under load. Of course, longer, more tiring sets mean improved conditioning and greater caloric expenditure.

While there is a strong endurance component to tempo training, the effect isn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t the same as just doing more reps. Heavy weights can still be used, and making your muscles work harder during their eccentric contraction is where they gain the most benefit when it comes to adding size to your frame.

On squats, for instance, perform 3[HTML_REMOVED]#8211;4 sets of 6[HTML_REMOVED]#8211;8 reps, taking 3[HTML_REMOVED]#8211;5 seconds to lower your body. Remember, however, to explode upward during each concentric phase.

Perfect Form

Slower tempos will immediately reveal any flaws in your exercise technique, and they[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ll expose weak muscles. For example, if your knees start to collapse inward as the result of a slow descent on the squat, your glutes aren[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t firing hard enough. you need to be cognizant of pushing your knees out and sitting back more as you squat down."

I have other things to do, and the questions repeatedly being asked have already been answered. Been fun. Go ride your bike.

April 23, 2014, 10:52 a.m.

I did define it. 3 seconds, as per my previous posts at the beginning of this thread.

If Duncan is doing 75 pushups per minute as he stated, he is not going slow on the up or the down, and is likely using poor technique. Fast is not good, unless you have really good technique as a foundation, like I said previously.

In previous posts, I recommended he go slow on up and the down (3 seconds), and focus on technique instead of speed, and to change hand positions.

See here (using squats as an example): http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/tempo-training-build-size-strength

"Research shows that the positive portion of a rep (the lifting of the weight) should be done as fast as possible to engage the greatest number of muscle fibers and build strength, speed and size. It also suggests that just the opposite should be done for the negative, or lowering, phase of a rep.

Slow It Down

Try slowing down the eccentric part of every rep. Focusing on controlled rep speed is known as tempo, or time under tension, training; and the benefits are numerous. Making muscles work longer under high tension creates more muscle trauma, leading to greater muscle growth in response. It also poses a challenge to your stability and core strength, as you’re being forced to remain upright with a rigid torso under load. Of course, longer, more tiring sets mean improved conditioning and greater caloric expenditure.

While there is a strong endurance component to tempo training, the effect isn’t the same as just doing more reps. Heavy weights can still be used, and making your muscles work harder during their eccentric contraction is where they gain the most benefit when it comes to adding size to your frame.

On squats, for instance, perform 3–4 sets of 6–8 reps, taking 3–5 seconds to lower your body. Remember, however, to explode upward during each concentric phase.

Perfect Form

Slower tempos will immediately reveal any flaws in your exercise technique, and they’ll expose weak muscles. For example, if your knees start to collapse inward as the result of a slow descent on the squat, your glutes aren’t firing hard enough. you need to be cognizant of pushing your knees out and sitting back more as you squat down."

I have other things to do, and the questions repeatedly being asked have already been answered. Been fun. Go ride your bike.

yeah, i went back to re-read your post after and caught the 3/3 tempo.

re this post though, it's pretty brave of you to be making the assumption that Duncan is using poor technique without knowing anything about him. maybe take some time to read some of his other posts and you'll find that he has a rather good grasp on training fundamentals. the same can be said for many of the other posters here too, so maybe turn the arrogance level down a bit.

for others, the key thing to take away is that while there is benefit to be had from using tut training, the role it plays in one's overall training program will depend on the goals of the individual. for those who are more focused on training as an athlete, higher velocity movements (1.5 sec or less) will better suit their needs.

Ellen Langer

April 23, 2014, 10:55 a.m.

Geez, how the hell would you know Duncan is doing pushups with bad form.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 23, 2014, 11:54 a.m.

Geez, how the hell would you know Duncan is doing pushups with bad form.

I don't know Duncan. I didn't say he had bad form. I have repeatedly used qualifiers when referring to form, words such as "likely", "generally", etc…

April 23, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

We are talking about a 60-second routine … that's less time than it generally takes to put the weights away. The goal is mainly to work my arms to exhaustion in a minute (which typically takes about 70-75 arm pumps or less depending on hand position), Tabata style. (I'd never actually heard about "Tabata pushups" until I just looked it up - but they do repeated 20 second sets to exhaustion). The goal for that 60 seconds is simply to induce muscle fatigue to the point of exhaustion in a short time rather than build strength or muscle mass. The time limit of 60 seconds is purely for convenience …

May 12, 2014, 2:41 p.m.

I usually just do a dozen push-ups, a dozen sit-ups and then a dozen jumping jacks.
Maybe i'm old fashioned but it definitely gets the blood pumping and you can do it quickly anywhere.