zee vs guide rsc

Oct. 17, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

I want to buy a set of new brakes for enduro and light dh use.
Zee's seem to be amazing from a lot of reviews i erad.
I found, for just 90$ more, a pair of the new 2017 guide rsc with the S4 caliper.

What would you buy?
I am really tempted for the guides, but i am a bit concerned of the issues that read in multiple forums.

Cheers!

Oct. 17, 2016, 3:30 p.m.

I'm pretty happy with my Zee calipers mated to Saint levers. If you can get that option I would for sure lean that way.

Oct. 17, 2016, 3:46 p.m.

I'm pretty happy with my Zee calipers mated to Saint levers. If you can get that option I would for sure lean that way.

Dude in the same vein, I love my Saint Calipers mated to Saint Levers.

back to OP's question, you'll be happy with either choice. The Zee will have fewer adjustments.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Oct. 17, 2016, 4:10 p.m.

I'm guessing you might get a good deal from Darren at his moving sale. I got my Saint/Zee combos from him last year for an awesome price so who knows what he might have this year.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1300599709972302/

Oct. 17, 2016, 7:23 p.m.

Guide,s hands down for me , have both and other than having to bleed the Guides when you put new pads in I prefer them hands down. I ride similar mostly trails , race enduro and do a park day once in a blue moon .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 18, 2016, 8:30 a.m.

To make it difficult:

Get the Zee. I have two sets of saints and a set of zees and I really love them. I had two sets of Guides and while they are better than older Sram offerings, they don't hold up as well, have expensive pads and shorter life of them, need re-bleeding more frequently, are not as powerful nor do I like their modulation as much and the sram rotors just suck - IMHO.

That said, you might be happy with either brake. Both products are pretty good. If you have to pay MORE for the Guide, you'd be nuts to go that route in my opinion.

Oct. 18, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

Save your 90 bucks and get the Zee brakes. Low maintenance, easy bleeding and very powerful. I would just run the stock levers as well. I've never had issues with adjusting them to exactly how I like…

Oct. 18, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

how is the modulation of the saints compared to guides or zees?

is it almost on/off feel or has the feathering/modulation that is needed?

i am coming from code brakes.

Oct. 18, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

Another vote for Zee's, no brainer at the price you can get em for online. I find the Zee has great modulation, more so than the XT on my other bike which is on/off feeling, probably because 4 pistons vs. 2 on the XT.

I run them with Shimano metallic finned pads and just put the fancy RT-86 Icetech rotors on my DH bike… great combo.

Oct. 18, 2016, 11:34 a.m.

i have found a pair of zee at 240$ (no fin resin pads + rt86 rotors)
the saints are at 320$ (with finned metallic pads + rt86 rotors)

is 80$ worth to go for the saints?

as i asked before, how is the modulation of the saints compared to guides or zees?

Oct. 18, 2016, 1:12 p.m.

Saints will rip the wheels clean off your bike with the merest brush of a lever, a full 2 finger pull will halt the rotation of the entire galaxy.

Guides modulate so smoothly you will eventually fall over at a dead stop without even realizing you've been pulling the brakes

Really though, comes down to personal preference between feel of Shimano's Servo Wave vs SRAM's Swinglink I suppose…and how much power you need.

My Guides were smooth and trouble free, but didn't have quite enough gumption for me. Very happy with Servo Wave power of my XT's now.

My next brake will be Saint. The galaxy is doomed.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 18, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

SAINTS and ZEE will feel absolutely the same with the same pads. Apart from cosmetics it's the same brake. Saint has the XTR masters and ZEE the ones from SLX. The metallic pads are WORLDS better than the resin ones however. Longer lasting, stronger and firmer lever feel.

For only 80$ more I'd absolutely get the saints with metallic pads and toolless reach adjust! The pads alone would be worth the difference almost.

Modulation is really, really good. If you're not satisfied with saints, there's not many options on the market that will make you happy…

Oct. 18, 2016, 1:20 p.m.

i have found a pair of zee at 240$ (no fin resin pads + rt86 rotors)
the saints are at 320$ (with finned metallic pads + rt86 rotors)

is 80$ worth to go for the saints?

as i asked before, how is the modulation of the saints compared to guides or zees?

Saints with rotors for $320 is that Canadian $, where?

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Oct. 18, 2016, 2:38 p.m.

Thought about Maguras?

Power of Shimano, modulation of Guide, reliability of… Magura?

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Oct. 18, 2016, 6:39 p.m.

I love my Saint brakes. I cannot imagine buying anything else. Huge stopping power.

Thread killer